Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Instructions for Users with 4k / High DPI issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Tech Support >> Instructions for Users with 4k / High DPI issues Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Instructions for Users with 4k / High DPI issues - 3/29/2021 4:59:13 PM   
Erik Rutins

Please install the most recent update (1.01.02 or later).

After that, if your issues are not resolved, please read the next post and the rest of this thread.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 7/23/2021 4:05:08 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 1
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/29/2021 4:59:37 PM   
Erik Rutins

The original 1.00 release had issues on high (4k) resolution systems. It was incorrectly scaling only fonts, which could result in offset text and also low memory crashes.

With 1.00.07 and later, the crashes are resolved as is the offset text. However, in 1.00/1.02 for later Windows 10 systems we were also using System scaling. Without that, while things are sharper, they may look too small on 4k screens.

With 1.01.02, the first iteration of in-application scaling is available to customers.

While we are working to complete the full in-game application scaling, in the meantime there are several options to try to see what gives you the best results.

Currently the game is built with a "DPI aware" manifest, so no override means that windows gives control to the application by default.

Starting with 1.00.04 and later :
1. If the High DPI Scaling Override is unchecked - all scaling is done by application (small but clear and sharp)
2. If the High DPI Scaling Override set to Application - all scaling is done by application (small but clear and sharp)
3. If the High DPI Scaling Override set to System or System (enhanced) - scaling done by OS (big but can be less clear on some systems and monitors)

As of 1.01.02 and later, there is in-application scaling for the map and all the screens to give a "big and clear and sharp" option as well. The application scaling percentage on first launch auto-detects the best setting for your system, but can be adjusted in the in-game preferences.

Your options for adjusting scaling are as follows:

1. Leave the settings at the default for Application control and use the in-game preferences to adjust scaling (We strongly recommend this for 1.01.02 and later updates)

2. Try the "System" or "System (Enhanced)" setting. This gives total control to Windows and as a result you are loosing sharpness, but it gives you bigger fonts/art. You can set this using the following steps to match the image below. We do not recommend this for 1.01.02 and later, but it may be helpful for some, especially with earlier versions (we recommend you update instead though!).

- Open your WITE2 installation folder
- Left click once to select the WarInTheEast2 Application file.
- Right click on the WarInTheEast2 Application file in that folder.
- Select Properties from the pop-up menu
- Left-click once on the Compatibility Tab
- Left-click once on the Change high DPI Settings button (as seen below)
- Change the settings you see to match the below, then click ok to close these windows and launch the game normally.
(If you need to undo this, repeat the steps above, but uncheck the boxes you see checked below before you click ok)

3. Use 3rd party apps, ex. ZoomIt
See the first post for a link to ZoomIt.

We are continuing to work on engine changes to improve player experience on high DPI settings, without any need for OS or 3rd party scaling. You can see this in 1.01.02 and later, but it is not an easy task and not all interface parts are easily adjustable.

We still need to allow the in-application scaling to adjust the right side unit bar and possibly the top button bar. Those will be added to the scaling as time allows. If you try 1.01.02 and later and find the in-application scaling does not work for you, or that having the right bar and top bar unscaled is not acceptable for you, please let us know and use options 2 and 3 above to re-adjust the scaling to your system-controlled scaling preference.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 7/23/2021 3:49:24 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 2
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/29/2021 5:02:29 PM   
Erik Rutins

Reserved

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/7/2021 11:51:16 AM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 3
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/29/2021 6:51:41 PM   
sandman2575

This seems to work (although Windows at first gives a warning about not running a 'potentially dangerous' app; says publisher "Unknown")

Am playing on 2560x1440 with DPI at 125%. Previously I was setting DPI to 100% because even with the DPI compatibility override the text was a bit blurry. Using this new .exe, the text appears sharp and clear the way it does on 100% DPI but without having to change from 125% to 100% (and then back again when I was no longer playing WitE). So that's an improvement.

Post #: 4
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/29/2021 7:09:18 PM   
Helpless

quote:

This seems to work (although Windows at first gives a warning about not running a 'potentially dangerous' app; says publisher "Unknown")

That's because it was signed by installer.

quote:

the text appears sharp and clear the way it does on 100% DPI but without having to change from 125% to 100% (and then back again when I was no longer playing WitE).

Great! That was the goal. Thanks for trying.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to sandman2575)
Post #: 5
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/29/2021 7:17:02 PM   
Helpless

quote:

6. Ensure your settings on that tab match EXACTLY the screenshot below, then click OK twice to close these properties.

This exe was build with high DPI awareness flag, meaning that Windows by default should give control to application to render art and text. So it should work the same with no check on Override high DPI scaling behavior. The most important it shouldn't stretch text font in application control mode, causing high memory usage with crashes and general instabilities.

If you want to stretch your window and make everything bigger (and blurry) you can Override high DPI and set it to System/System(Enhanced).

Pavel Zagzin

Post #: 6
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/29/2021 7:58:06 PM   
Numdydar

Text is better so thank you for the effort.

However the text is still hard for me to read as the text in the popup screens is still too small for me. It may have something to do with the white on red backgrounds when playing as Russia and my eyes.

Any chance of UI scaling for the text boxes?

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 7
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/29/2021 8:14:16 PM   
sandman2575

This is a nice work-around for small text:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4991070

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 8
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/29/2021 8:21:58 PM   
Helpless

quote:

However the text is still hard for me to read as the text in the popup screens is still too small for me. It may have something to do with the white on red backgrounds when playing as Russia and my eyes

It was not meant to make text bigger, in opposite it makes text sharper and smaller. To make it bigger you can override high DPI to let System scale it or use 3rd party solutions. I understand what UX responsive design is, but there is no easy way to implement it. It possible to make scalable fonts in some areas, but in most cases it comes with complete redesign of layout with extra art high resolution art.

quote:

Any chance of UI scaling for the text boxes?

Is there any particular boxes you are talking about? Some of them could be scaled easier than others.

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 9
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/29/2021 11:16:57 PM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Is there any particular boxes you are talking about? Some of them could be scaled easier than others.

The pop up terrain boxes were the main ones along with the box that appears when the ADs are being gone through are the two worst ones for me. The rest of the system, menus, etc. are servable in the current state.

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 3/29/2021 11:18:19 PM >

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 10
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/30/2021 10:04:09 AM   
theWombat

quote:

It possible to make scalable fonts in some areas, but in most cases it comes with complete redesign of layout with extra art high resolution art.

The text that is the most difficult to see is the actual text stuff, not the text on counters or other art elements. Pretty much no games have issues with this any more because they either use an off the shelf engine like Unity (which is used in 2D games quite a lot and quite effectively) or they use Scaleform or other middleware to handle UI display. The problem with this and similar games (usually low-volume wargames by small teams) is that they are home-grown idiosyncratic kludges, to be blunt. Not to take away from the immense effort and skill it takes to make a beast like this at all, but we're at the point in game development history when even indie games from two person teams are selling games that are functionally as robust as AAA titles.

Except in wargaming. Wargaming is still mired in the 8-bit era almost. 32bit apps? No middleware? Rube Goldberg game engines? I've been playing computer games since I pilfered a login for a mainframe in the late 1970s at Georgia Tech. Sometimes I wonder whether I'm stuck in a freakin' time loop.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 11
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/30/2021 10:27:23 AM   
Nix77

In WitE1 I had an issue with Nvidia GFX cards, the text in game was blurry. I'm not 100% certain but I might have had that with WitE2 too when I installed it.

Fix for that was to disable FXAA on the WitE executable from Nvidia Control Panel.

(in reply to theWombat)
Post #: 12
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/30/2021 10:39:24 AM   
Helpless

quote:

Fix for that was to disable FXAA on the WitE executable from Nvidia Control Panel.

Afaik, Antialiasing - FXAA is off by default. Enabling it indeed makes all text very blurry. Good point. Thanks.

Attachment (1)

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 13
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/30/2021 2:54:21 PM   
Tyrfinn

Seems to be more fluid and stable so far.

I reported the problem regarding the game not running smoothly.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 14
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/30/2021 3:23:37 PM   
sandman2575

Will this hotfix be included in the first update? It's not mentioned in the announcement of the 01.00.02 Beta - ?

(in reply to Tyrfinn)
Post #: 15
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/30/2021 3:25:20 PM   
Helpless

quote:

Will this hotfix be included in the first update? It's not mentioned in the announcement of the 01.00.02 Beta - ?

No, but first update is in this hotfix. Feel free to use it as 1.00.02 Beta + DPI fix.

Pavel Zagzin

Post #: 16
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/30/2021 3:30:30 PM   
sandman2575

Sorry, guess I'm a little confused. Doesn't that mean that when 1.00.02 goes live and I update WitE2, the DPI-fix .exe will get overwritten by the 'default' .exe for 1.00.02?

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 17
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/30/2021 3:33:39 PM   
Helpless

Yes it will overwrite, but since this is exe-only update, you shouldn't really install it if you are using 1.00.03_DPI fix.

Pavel Zagzin

Post #: 18
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/30/2021 4:31:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: sandman2575
Sorry, guess I'm a little confused. Doesn't that mean that when 1.00.02 goes live and I update WitE2, the DPI-fix .exe will get overwritten by the 'default' .exe for 1.00.02?

1.02 is a beta update. By the time it goes official, it will likely be 1.03 and incorporate this fix. At the moment, if you are using the DPI hotfix you already have everything in the 1.02 beta as well.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 19
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/30/2021 7:02:41 PM   
sandman2575

OK, excellent. Thank you for clarifying.

Post #: 20
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/31/2021 5:09:41 AM   
ranknfile

The game looks beautiful, but there are fonts that overlap one another in the unit detail (they work - I can select them individually - but the fonts are on top of one another). More significantly the Leader Detail Window is cut off at the bottom, so I cannot replace any of my leaders.

I am still learning the game (playing the Vistula to Berlin campaign), and so have not yet tried altering fonts or whatnot to get this functional.

When I try to run the executable file I get a message saying there is a problem with my serial number.
I will try the Matrix Helpdesk tomorrow.

DxDiag below:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/19/2021, 20:50:56
Machine name: LAPTOP-IC1PN3CM
Machine Id: {64246AD7-8EEA-4674-8CAB-C13313379FEA}
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Razer
System Model: Blade 15 Advanced Model (Early 2020) - RZ09-033
BIOS: 1.03 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz (16 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16244MB RAM
Page File: 8230MB used, 10446MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.1.9
DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

< Message edited by ranknfile -- 3/31/2021 5:12:29 AM >

Post #: 21
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/31/2021 5:50:41 AM   
Helpless

quote:

but there are fonts that overlap one another in the unit detail (they work - I can select them individually - but the fonts are on top of one another). More significantly the Leader Detail Window is cut off at the bottom, so I cannot replace any of my leaders.

This fix deals exactly with such kind of situations.

quote:

When I try to run the executable file I get a message saying there is a problem with my serial number.

Most probably you are running this exe from the wrong folder.

1. Download the attached zip file and unzip it to overwrite the executable by the same name in your installation folder.

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to ranknfile)
Post #: 22
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/31/2021 2:23:59 PM   
ranknfile

quote:

1. Download the attached zip file and unzip it to overwrite the executable by the same name in your installation folder.

'Twas I who were Helpless, but now, I'm back in business, better than before!
Your guidance was not only appreciated, but unfortunately, all too necessary!
Everything looks fine now. Muchas gracias!

< Message edited by ranknfile -- 3/31/2021 3:17:45 PM >

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 23
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 3/31/2021 9:03:26 PM   
Erik Rutins

Please note, the first post and attachment for download has been updated to a 1.04 Beta with further fixes that should help with stability on 4k resolution / scaled DPI systems. If you've already used the previous hotfix or are still having issues, please give the new one a try and let us know how it works for you.

IMPORTANT: The recommended scaling settings have changed since the 1.00 and 1.02 Beta, see the new image in the first post for use with the 1.04 Beta hotfix!

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 3/31/2021 9:09:12 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ranknfile)
Post #: 24
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 4/2/2021 5:43:10 AM   
Numdydar

The text is improved with the new 1.04 patch. So thank you for getting that done.

As I mentioned above the AD resolution and the pop up boxes for terrain/combat are still way too small. I can barely read them without using ZoomIt. The game REALLY needs either a saleable UI, More zoom levels, or be able to change the monitor resolution from within the game. It really sucks to have to change the desktop resolution in order to play them game without using third party apps.

Post #: 25
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 4/2/2021 8:35:16 AM   
Helpless

Thanks for the feedback.

quote:

It really sucks to have to change the desktop resolution in order to play them game without using third party apps

You don't need to change resolution. You can set override dpi settings to System/System(Enhanced). Windows will scale up it automatically.

I agree that is is far from perfect. But there are some good news - in .04 versions - dynamic map font loading saved lots of memory which can be used to scale GUI elements.

Currently I'm testing dpi scaling code which is quite promising and effectively I see much better view on 4K screens with bigger on map text and elements.

Scaling other GUI windows really depends on their complexity. Luckily mentioned map popups and AD summary on the bottom are not so complex.

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 26
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 4/2/2021 12:24:31 PM   
Bleek

Will there be an option to set the windowed mode resolution? It seems to be running 1024x on my screen which is... tiny.

Fullscreen is just a no go on my ultrawide, I have to physically move my head left to right to read info panels.

So currently, even with the DPI hotfix, I have to change something on Windows first before running the game. I really hate to kick devs, but it's 2021 guys and for the price of product - I'd expect this basic resolution changing functionality in the game. Or more preferably, a scaling UI+font to the resolution.

edit: okay, I can resize the window by hand. That's better than nothing, but the game won't remember that and will reset each time I load.

< Message edited by Bleek -- 4/2/2021 12:28:26 PM >

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 27
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 4/2/2021 3:15:44 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bleek
Will there be an option to set the windowed mode resolution? It seems to be running 1024x on my screen which is... tiny.

The windowed mode just adopts whatever resolution you expand it to. You can maximize it to your desktop resolution if you wish.

quote:

So currently, even with the DPI hotfix, I have to change something on Windows first before running the game. I really hate to kick devs, but it's 2021 guys and for the price of product - I'd expect this basic resolution changing functionality in the game. Or more preferably, a scaling UI+font to the resolution.

We're working on some in-app scaling options, but this caught us a bit by surprise as the testers running in 4k during the test were happy with how things were working and it's a major engine change to do scaling in the application for high-res/dpi scaled customers. We are doing it, but it takes time. It is our top priority right now other than fixing crashes.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/2/2021 3:16:09 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 28
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 4/2/2021 3:24:34 PM   
Erik Rutins

The top posts have now been updated with the 1.05 Beta update.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 29
RE: New Test Hotfix for 4k / High DPI issues - 4/2/2021 3:26:48 PM   
Bleek

Thanks Erik.

I've been playing around with the fonts json, and it certainly helps bumping fonts 2 size points. But of course the UI doesn't scale, so certain text overflows.

If in the future fonts could be bumped 2 sizes and the GUI boxes expanded to suit, that would be a winner for my UHD monitor. Right now, I'm close with my windows scaling AND json font edits, but no cigar because some UI boxes can't accommodate it.

---

I will say, the general workflow and UX is several steps better than WitP:AE (thank god)! I didn't play the original WitE.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Tech Support >> Instructions for Users with 4k / High DPI issues Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI