Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

War Shouldnt be so calculated

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> War Shouldnt be so calculated Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
War Shouldnt be so calculated - 8/23/2003 4:29:39 AM   
Achtung stef

Ive playing this game over the past week and have been dissapointed by it, the combat seems to me to be to clynical because of the ability to undo an attack and rethink the odds, surely once youve attacked there should be no turning back or if you do some penalty for doing so, I just think its unrealistic to know the exact odds of a battle and over runs, surely war is about taking chances, okay the dice does give a degree of chance but in my opinion not enough, dont get me wrong there are some things I like about the game like the tank shock value and and the way the weather changes the landscape, what does everybody else think of these points?
Post #: 1
- 8/23/2003 4:57:57 AM   
Massattack

I thought you could only undo a move if you have not revealed the exposure of an enemy unit, at least thats what the manual seems to say. The Combat advisor is optional, and need not be used by players who do not wish to use it. You can set up an email game with it turned off, or just don't use it if playing the AI. I rationalise using it by thinking that I am an ordinary Joe Soap trying to do a generals job, so need all the help I can get! So far I am greatly enjoying this game, but accept that it will not be everyone's cup of tea.

Regards

(in reply to Achtung stef)
Post #: 2
- 8/23/2003 5:06:31 AM   
Capitaine

To be quite frank, I don't think you get the idea of what true "wargames" are supposed to be about. Originally, wargames intended to teach about military strategy by applying principles of war in a historical game format. When wargames hit the PC medium, many who had not played non-PC wargames expected to "experience war", which never was the actual goal of a wargame.

There are military games that come out from time to time that try to give the "experientialists" the confused, black box notion of "real war" but they rarely succeed because they do not satisfy what military enthusiasts crave to know: Why did such and such happen? Could it have come out differently with a different strategy?

Personally, I feel that the era when wargames tried to compete with Sci-Fi and Fantasy games for rollicking rock 'em sock 'em action is over, with only the serious players left on the scene.

Also, the more you get down to the tactical level, the more the "reality" component becomes a factor. So you might consider what scale of game suits your taste the best. "Squad Assault" might be more to your taste, for example. (I preordered that one too, BTW.)

Post #: 3
- 8/23/2003 9:23:27 AM   
BrubakerII

[QUOTE=Achtung stef]Ive playing this game over the past week and have been dissapointed by it, the combat seems to me to be to clynical because of the ability to undo an attack and rethink the odds... [/QUOTE]

Stef this is just not true. You cannot undo an attack once it is conducted. Do you mean undo the planning of an attack? If so then really that is no different than staff officers in the rear of a battle poring over maps trying to decide their best options. When a battle is designated (in the game the conduct button is pressed), it thens comes down to a measure of luck applied to our choices, just like real life.

I think this is the beauty of the game, the fact it can appear clinical - I love that stuff. I think if you want that aspect removed you need to play a real time game such as Squad Assault or similar where the clinical nature of warfare is hidden behind a more pretty 'emotional' layer.

Believe me I loved Close Combat to death but when it got down and dirty I would still be calculating the [hidden] numbers in my head.

SSG Beta Tester

Post #: 4
- 8/28/2003 9:11:09 PM   
StrategyCat

[QUOTE=Achtung stef]Ive playing this game over the past week and have been dissapointed by it, the combat seems to me to be to clynical because of the ability to undo an attack and rethink the odds, surely once youve attacked there should be no turning back or if you do some penalty for doing so, I just think its unrealistic to know the exact odds of a battle and over runs, surely war is about taking chances, okay the dice does give a degree of chance but in my opinion not enough, dont get me wrong there are some things I like about the game like the tank shock value and and the way the weather changes the landscape, what does everybody else think of these points?[/QUOTE]

There's a game made just for you, called 'The Operational Art of War'. In it, you just move nondescript units around a map and hope for the best - LOL!

StrategyCat
-Any country that just rolls over and lets its president die like a dog in the street deserves all the Bushes it gets-

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> War Shouldnt be so calculated Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI