Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 3/31/2021 9:27:23 PM   
Zemke

These are basic questions to the playtesters or perhaps others who have cracked the code on the logistics piece of this game.

What I do know, and it seems common sense:
1. Closer to RR is better.
2. Closer to depots is better.
3. HQ on depot is better, higher level the better.
4. FBD on Depot is better still.

What I am trying to figure out is what are the constraints, or chock points on why a unit is not getting the supplies it requests. As a Commander I can ask my G-4 (Logistics Officer) and he would tell me Sir, due to the shortage of trucks and the distance from the depot we need to move supplies from, we can only move X and we need Y, the delta is Z. In real life I could get a pretty clear idea what the problem is and what I need to fix it. In this case, move closer to the depot, get more trucks or a combination of the two.

Also, if I prioritize a specific organization, say priority 4 supply for X Corps, and all other Corps are PS2, and I have a Division on refit, I would think that one division in that high priority corps should be getting pretty much what it needs assuming the corps has the trucks to at least supply, one Division fully.

1. Do Units trace supply through their next higher Command then to the depot? This matters because where the higher HQ is in relation to a depot would then be pretty darn important.
2. Does a "Green Rail" mean I am good on rail capacity? If so, as all of my rail line are green, then the bottleneck is not capacity, but at the depot or from the HQ/units to the depot, which would be trucks.

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"
Post #: 1
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 3/31/2021 9:43:20 PM   
loki100

I know you are aware of this, but forget WiTE1, esp for logistics so distance to rail way per se has no meaning.

2/3/4 yep

Ok the system works on 3 main parts. Depots receive, store, and send out freight, but have a finite capacity. Units receive and store freight (and you set their demand in part by the HQ priority and in part by what you are up to - ie how much they used up moving/fighting), rails deliver freight to depots (but has a finite capacity).

So you have 2 capacity constraints - the ability of rails to deliver - and this is both per hex (usage) and relates to how many 'trains' can be generated by your level 2 or higher railyards. The other is your ability of your depots to process.

Now the effective cap is the worst of that pair, so if your depots can't process all that could be delivered, then the trains don't run, if the trains can't deliver all the depots can process then the depots are under-used.

Supply trace is unit-depot, the HQs set supply priority for their units (& affect depot capacity) but its not unit-HQ-HQ-depot.

Green can be superb, your rail system is a wonder of the modern world or ... its pretty worrying. You simply can't deliver what is needed (lack of level 2 railyards?) and all that depot capacity goes to waste.

Now there is a last part to the puzzle. If units can't get the supply they need out of the local depot system, they go looking (up to 30 hexes), using their unit trucks to meet the demand you set. Trucks doing this undermine both MP and CV.

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 2
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 3/31/2021 10:05:12 PM   
Nix77

What sets the need for a depot to receive freight, if it's far away from any units but still has a medium supply priority? Lets imagine 4 depots, more than 30 hexes apart in an isolated test bench with a single rail:

NSS (SP0) - Depot A (SP3) - Depot B (SP2) - Depot C (SP4)

There's a unit near C demanding supply:
- will depot A&B still send+receive freight, or does the freight just go directly to C?
- All the depots will likely store freight, according to priority I guess?
- If there's a unit also near B, would it gain less supply than the unit near C because of lower Supply Priority, even though it's closer to freight source?

Hell, there's a gazillion more questions, maybe I should just isolate Riga as a separate supply network and start testing :D

< Message edited by Nix77 -- 3/31/2021 10:06:28 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 3/31/2021 10:21:54 PM   
loki100

problem is there is no answer, in that there are no ready perfect solutions (though there are some bad ones).

so a depot ignores unit demand, it lives in its own little world where its only interest is in getting the freight you told it to.

So if you put a depot on Potsdam and priority #4 it'll fill up, even if you are approaching Moscow.

Now if it just remains full, it won't take any more as it can't process it.

The bits you influence, priority for depot sets when it will take supply in the logistics phase and how often it will attempt this (till its full), so in that sense priority doesn't affect storage. Storage is the product of receipt>allocation to units.

units go to the nearest depot and then further if they can't meet their (you have set) demand. They don't care what the depot priority is, only location. But they have to interact with a depot (somewhere) to get supply --- I think this is the big conceptual difference to WiTE1 (more than finite rails etc, its keeping this relationship in mind).

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 4
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 3/31/2021 10:39:44 PM   
Zemke

So HQs are not part of the tracing, got it. Unit to depot, got that.

CAn you answer this. If my rail is showing green, which 90% of the time it is, (unless I move a unit by rail), then that rail is moving everything it can no problem or put another way, moving what depots demand no problem. So rail does not seem to be a constraint or appears not to be, OR is it I don't have that many trains running because my depots are not processing the freight they already get because their own railyard is inadequate level 1 railyards.

You cannot upgrade railyards, right?

Is a unit using its own trucks or its Corps trucks?

< Message edited by Zemke -- 3/31/2021 10:54:02 PM >

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 1:13:20 AM   
Bamilus

Not trying to hijack but sort of related question. If I have a bunch of depots at 0, will freight still flow through them via the railyard? For example, can I slowly turn my Germany depots to 0 as I move out of Germany? Like, is there any reason I need Warsaw and Brest Litovsk to be above 0 once I have a supply chain all the way to Smolensk? I see a lot of my depots are pulling freight from Berlin but I'm not sure if that's good or bad

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 6
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 1:25:39 AM   
CapAndGown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bamilus

Not trying to hijack but sort of related question. If I have a bunch of depots at 0, will freight still flow through them via the railyard? For example, can I slowly turn my Germany depots to 0 as I move out of Germany? Like, is there any reason I need Warsaw and Brest Litovsk to be above 0 once I have a supply chain all the way to Smolensk? I see a lot of my depots are pulling freight from Berlin but I'm not sure if that's good or bad

This is sort of my question as well. Could someone perhaps lay out the Depot system they would use between Berlin and Smolensk assuming the front line is east of Smolensk and you have a double track line running through Brest-Minsk-Orsha.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 7
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 2:28:12 AM   
gw15

Use the AI assist?

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 8
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 4:07:18 AM   
NavalNewZ

quote:

Not trying to hijack

Hijack succesful...what gets me is the 'puzzle' aspect of this. I roll my eyes when i see people who think that the detail in games like this makes it more 'realistic'. I disagree..it's a bunch of puzzles to figure out how the system works, based upon the designers intent. In practice, its a a lot of investigation that involves greater understanding of the system, and [hopefully] the history involved.

..there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 9
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 4:20:57 AM   
Nix77

Ok... so basically I dont really need those depots in Germany at any other level than 0 after Riga/Kaunas/Minsk/B-L/Lvov are online, unless the rails to those forward depots start getting cramped? Ofcourse any leftover airfields that still have aircraft need some juice still.

I've been "chaining" the depots and havent seen any congestion or forward depots nearing cap yet, maybe it's just me doing it wrong!

Trying to figure out the port network is a bit of mystery too, it's probably a good way to relieve the rail traffic if set up properly?

(in reply to NavalNewZ)
Post #: 10
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 4:25:27 AM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

Yes, freight flows through depots at 0 priority.

Yes, once you have a functioning supply system at Smolensk and other forward locations, you can dial down the depots in the rear to a lower priority.

Yes, you will always see freight flowing to depots from Berlin. It is a National Supply Source.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 11
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 8:30:15 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zemke

CAn you answer this. If my rail is showing green, which 90% of the time it is, (unless I move a unit by rail), then that rail is moving everything it can no problem or put another way, moving what depots demand no problem. So rail does not seem to be a constraint or appears not to be, OR is it I don't have that many trains running because my depots are not processing the freight they already get because their own railyard is inadequate level 1 railyards.

lets talk about the green rails.

What you see at the start of the turn is the residual usage from the last turn (ground and logistic phases), some of that usage gets cleared but a portion can remain, especially if you put a lot of units down a track it can take 3-4 turns to clear.

So green more or less means your usage is clearing in the end-turn routines.

Whether this is good or bad really depends.

It can be good, you've basically got the 3 bits in balance, so you have enough trains (from your railyard capacity), enough space for them to move on easily (railway capacity) and your depots are filling up (depot capacity).

Wonderful

But it can also be green because you don't have enough trains to make use of the potential railway or your depots lack the capacity to process any more freight so don't ask for it.

In that case, not so good

But it is getting those 3 bits into balance in the context of a changing combat situation (& possibly enemy interventions) that is the challenge.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zemke

You cannot upgrade railyards, right?

Is a unit using its own trucks or its Corps trucks?

No, if it is a level 1 railyard it stays there, so the only dynamic is repair/damage

unit trucks, there are relatively few in the HQs as such and mostly being used for their own movement

quote:

ORIGINAL: NavalNewZ

...what gets me is the 'puzzle' aspect of this. I roll my eyes when i see people who think that the detail in games like this makes it more 'realistic'. I disagree..it's a bunch of puzzles to figure out how the system works, based upon the designers intent. In practice, its a a lot of investigation that involves greater understanding of the system, and [hopefully] the history involved.

I don't think its a puzzle in the conventional sense, that would imply there is a perfect solution waiting to be found. There are better and worse solutions definitely but as an eg Carlkay is perfectly happy to run his axis logistics in 1941 without super depots while I preplan where they are going to be.

The other bits to bear in mind, the system has in-built shortages, you can overcome the shortage that may arise from depot capacity but neither side at any distance to their NSS can overcome the delivery shortages (trains, rail lines and trucks). Also the situation is always changing, demand for supply is not just a product of your unit deployments and your choices - your opponent has agency too

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 12
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 8:56:59 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: CapAndGown

quote:

This is sort of my question as well. Could someone perhaps lay out the Depot system they would use between Berlin and Smolensk assuming the front line is east of Smolensk and you have a double track line running through Brest-Minsk-Orsha.

What I would have is Warsaw left at #1 (anything Warsaw-Berlin set to 0), Brest-Litovsk (in the situation you describe) probably at #1 (I may have reduced it to #0), Baranovichi (ditto, it would still be #1 if I had nearby airbases in use, longer range LB can work from here), Minsk 2, Orsha 2 (maybe 3 - again this is all so situational), Smolensk 4 (& set up as a super depot).

So that is quite pared down, Minsk would have AGC so has a lot of capacity and may well be heavily in use, Vitebsk the same (even if off the notionally direct line). I'd then have as many small depots operating behind the front as possible - the different mindset in this situation is I'm assuming some stalling of the advance but how many really depends on what sort of rail repair network I have.

If I was the Soviets in 1944, I'd be putting a depot on every location with a railyard, so none of this minimalist stuff. Thats because I am trying to supply around 7million men and a lot of tanks and want depot capacity stretching some distance back from the actual front.

This is why - I think - its so hard to give a clear answer, even at the level of depot network, priorities and so on, its so situational

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 13
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 9:20:11 AM   
CapAndGown

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

quote:

What I would have is Warsaw left at #1 (anything Warsaw-Berlin set to 0), Brest-Litovsk (in the situation you describe) probably at #1 (I may have reduced it to #0), Baranovichi (ditto, it would still be #1 if I had nearby airbases in use, longer range LB can work from here), Minsk 2, Orsha 2 (maybe 3 - again this is all so situational), Smolensk 4 (& set up as a super depot).

So that is quite pared down, Minsk would have AGC so has a lot of capacity and may well be heavily in use, Vitebsk the same (even if off the notionally direct line). I'd then have as many small depots operating behind the front as possible - the different mindset in this situation is I'm assuming some stalling of the advance but how many really depends on what sort of rail repair network I have.

If I was the Soviets in 1944, I'd be putting a depot on every location with a railyard, so none of this minimalist stuff. Thats because I am trying to supply around 7million men and a lot of tanks and want depot capacity stretching some distance back from the actual front.

This is why - I think - its so hard to give a clear answer, even at the level of depot network, priorities and so on, its so situational

Thanks for the tips. This part "Thats because I am trying to supply around 7million men and a lot of tanks and want depot capacity stretching some distance back from the actual front." was especially helpful in thinking about the way units get their supplies.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 14
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 9:31:03 AM   
loki100

quote:

Thanks for the tips. This part "Thats because I am trying to supply around 7million men and a lot of tanks and want depot capacity stretching some distance back from the actual front." was especially helpful in thinking about the way units get their supplies.

its worth messing around with Vistula-Berlin, its inevitable that most of the initial discussion is around the 1941 start but that is both a first rate scenario in its own right and allows you to poke around with the logistics system in a situation where demand is as much a problem as supply.

you'll see differences that come from the super-depot concept much more readily as well as how capturing (or denying) the larger railyards becomes a core part of operational planning

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 15
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 9:37:47 AM   
dudefan

@loki100

what is counted in for train number aka railyard capacity. Only the railyard capacity in the end depot? Or of all the depots on the railon the line? Or all railyard on the Line even without depots? What is the most important railyard.

Simply put:
How do I know that my problem is that I have not enough trains aka railyard capacity and what can I do to fix it? Focus on more depots on railyard on the way? Focus on the final depot in the end?

< Message edited by dudefan -- 4/1/2021 10:04:37 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 16
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 11:10:49 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: dudefan

@loki100

what is counted in for train number aka railyard capacity. Only the railyard capacity in the end depot? Or of all the depots on the railon the line? Or all railyard on the Line even without depots? What is the most important railyard.

Simply put:
How do I know that my problem is that I have not enough trains aka railyard capacity and what can I do to fix it? Focus on more depots on railyard on the way? Focus on the final depot in the end?

usual answer, its variable. Any given rail hex can draw rail capacity from rail yards up to 30 (rail) hexes away. If you select F2 and a hex, you'll see this number at the top rhs of the screen.

ok, now the but. In practice, esp in the logistics phase, some of those railyards will be claimed elsewhere in the system so what is available at a given point can drop as the system demands rail cap.

All that matters for a journey is the rail cap where you are starting it (this is one reason the NSS gets a bonus in this regard - it lubricates the whoe system)

there is not much you can do to fix it - as you can't build level 2 or better rail yards (a new depot will create a level 1 depot - ie processing capacity etc but not new train stock). All you can do is make sure what you have is repaired and its worth making sure such rail yards are incorporated into your network (so be prepared to repair a spur to a given location)

(in reply to dudefan)
Post #: 17
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 11:35:29 AM   
squatter

Hope OP doesn't mind me joining in the thread with some queries of my own.

I use CAPS below not in anger, but merely for the questions I'm getting to stand out.

One of the main issues for me with logistics is trying to diagnose what's happening.

I want to know a) are my units getting the supply they need? b) are my depots getting the supply they need? c) are my rail lines running properly and delivering enough tonnes?

For an example in the image below:

The yellow arrow is Siversky, south of Leningrad, Aug 31, 1941.

It's a level one railyard depot, which we know has intrinsic capacity of 10k tonnes. This has been raised to 30k by an army HQ parking on it.

As we can see from the image, the depot received 12.6k tonnes, 41% of its capacity.

QUESTION 1: WHY DID THIS PRIORITY LEVEL 4 DEPOT ONLY RECEIVE 41% OF ITS CAPACITY?

So I turn on logistics info to try and diagnose:

We can also see that the rail useage in the hex is 2306 tonnes, well below its 30k double line capacity.

QUESTION 2: HOW DOES THE HEX RAIL USEAGE OF 2.3k TONNES TALLY WITH THE 12.6k TONNES THE DEPOT RECEIVED? HOW DID THE 9.7k DIFFERENTIAL ARRIVE TO THE DEPOT?

QUESTION 3: IF THIS DEPOT IS CONNECTED BY A DOUBLE RAIL LINE (CAPACITY 30k), WHY DID IT ONLY RECEIVE 12.6k? HOW DO I DIAGNOSE THIS? NO PART OF MY RAIL NETWORK IS HIGHLIGHTED RED, THEREFORE THERE IS SPARE RAIL CAP EVERYWHERE ACROSS THE NETWORK. YET THIS DEPOT ONLY RECEIVED 41% OF ITS CAPACITY

QUESTION 4: MANY OF THE UNITS AROUND SIKERSY ARE LACKING FUEL OR SUPPLY YET THE DEPOT IS RETAINING MORE SUPPLY THAN IT IS SENDING OUT. IF NEARBY UNITS ARE STILL NOT FULLY REPLENISHED, WHY IS THE DEPOT STOCKPILING SUPPLY RATHER THAN SENDING IT OUT?

QUESTION 5: DO WE HAVE A YARDSTICK FOR HOW MANY TONNES OF FREIGHT INDIVIDUAL UNITS REQUIRE TO OPERATE? HOW MANY TONNES DOES A FULL STRENGTH PANZER DIVISION REQUIRE PER TURN? HOW MANY TONNES FOR A FULL STRENGTH INF DIV?

QUESTION 6: IS THERE A WAY OF SEEING MY NETWORK'S FREIGHT GENERATION CAPACITY (ie total national supply?) AND COMPARING THAT TO MY ARMY'S TOTAL REQUIREMENT?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dudefan)
Post #: 18
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 11:52:50 AM   
loki100

I'll try:

1 - you partly answer this yourself, but basically just because you have created the capacity to receive freight does not solve the challenge of its delivery

2 - poorly, what you see at the start of the turn is last turns usage (move and logistics) - the amount the routine removes at the end of the logistics phase, so its a penalty placed in that hex for the current turn to reflect over-use of rail capacity last turn (think of it, esp on a single track line as you have too many trains at one end or the other)

3 - this is where the rail yard capacity comes in, just because you have a working train line doesn't mean you have a working train to go on it. Its also where the super-depot comes in, an unmoved NKPS on that location will act like a huge flag to the system shouting 'send your trains to me' - my best guess is that such a set up would indeed see that depot fill up

edit: but at a cost, other depots in the same area will now get less as a result of this diversion

4 - units demand supply on the basis of their supply priority, this sets how much as a % of their total possible demand they actually get, but it looks like the depot is in balance, its sending out what it had in store and replenishing its stocks (the green/blue/red lines)

5 - yes, look at the CR or the unit detail tab, that'll give you some idea what a given unit type wants (you may need to add in unit to missing to received) - but remember what it needs will vary, it will want more freight if its refitting (manpower, vehicles), more if its fighting (restock ammunition etc) so what you are looking at is a situational value

6 - no as its irrelevant. The ability to use rail capacity on a given hex is driven by how much unused railyard capacity (ie level 2 or more) is available within 30 hexes. So both numbers have little value. I guess you use the CR and work out how many 2+ railyards there are in the Soviet Union which will get you the first number but in practice it would have nil value, your capacity to move rail freight along the south of the Caucasus (as an eg) is utterly disconnected from the train capacity in Moscow

edit 2 - keep in mind, what is being modelled is a shortage situation, in terms of the ability to supply the potential demand of your army

< Message edited by loki100 -- 4/1/2021 11:54:43 AM >

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 19
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 12:27:56 PM   
Bamilus

Thanks Loki. Super helpful as always

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 20
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 12:29:44 PM   
squatter

Thanks a lot Loki - it must be rather frustrating for you guys having to explain this stuff over and over.

But I'm afraid I still have questions regarding your points:

The big overall question I still have is:

This depot has capacity of 30k, yet it is only receiving 14k, why?

No part of my network reporting over capacity - the main line Vishni Volochek is coloured yellow, which suggests it is using at most 50% of its capacity.

So why is my rail network reporting slack, yet my depots (well connected on double lines) are not receiving their capacity of freight? How can I diagnose/understand/remedy this?

Also, regarding the 'rail usage' number each hex displays. So this is a penalty to the current turn's capacity that is reducing the capacity on the current turn? ie the capacity on my double line this turn is 30k minus the 2.3k rail usage hanging over from last turn? I would like to ask for some context on this 2.3k - is this a relatively big or small number? Is this good or bad for me? I have no idea.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 21
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 1:23:53 PM   
Repsol

A question about the rail usage as shown in the manual on page 130...Why is the rail section around Schigry coloured orange and the other parts of that
railline is yellow ? According to the manual it is because of the high supply need of the airbase...
According to the picture Schigry itself has no depot...Wouldn't that mean that the freight would first need to be moved to the closest depot and from there back to the airbase via trucks or horses.
Why then is not the entire railline to the closest depot coloured orange (or yellow)...The way the picture shows it the trains seems to have 'teleported' to the hex next to Schigry...moved to
Schigry and then dissapered. The sections of the rail on either side of Schigry is showing yellow and Schigry is showing orange. Why ?
Isn't the freight transported to the closet depot...and thereby forced to use the entire railline up to that depot equally much ? Is stuff being unloaded at the airbase ? If so...how did the trains get there ?
As both sides of Schigry shows yellow...That is LESS usage the Schigry itself...Does enemy airattack have anything to do with these hexes being of different colour then the rest of that line ? Or have simply the rail usage of those two hexes not been reduced as much as the surrounding hexes in the logistics phase ?

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 22
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 1:24:25 PM   
loki100

I do wish the game had different terminology in a few places as I think that is part of the problem. Its like the concept of 'National Morale' after 10 years of the WiTx series being played that still causes problems of misinterpretation as to what it actually models - but it runs so deep across the game code it'll never get renamed.

Here I think it doesn't help we use the term rail capacity to mean 2 different things ...

So here's my personal terminology. Railyards produce trains (& rolling stock), railways allow those trains to move from a to b.

Both of those are limited goods in the terms of the game model, at a given spot you can only have as many trains/rolling stock as there is unused rail yard capacity in 30 hexes. So that sets one input number - how much freight you can load onto trains.

Railways have an ideal operating capacity at a given point (early in the alpha I went off and dug out a load of academic articles on the issues around capacity and constraints and what could cause blockages - och we had fun ). That and more sane contributions were laid over the basic dual/single track concept to come up with the 40% capacity for single track rails.

The other side of this, is your depots set a level of demand and its not impossible that you are demanding too much (across the wider system).

You are saying that your railways are fine, your depot is under-used so there are one of 2 residual issues. One is that the sum demand of your wider depot system is too much, so that even a #4 depot doesn't get its needs or there are not enough trains to bring that freight to the depot.

Now you can do something about this. Put a NKPS on the depot and don't move it. It then says to system treat this depot as a priority over and above its notional valuation.

You can see it here:

that Soviet network has 4 functioning priority 4 depots, they are all roughly the same capacity but one has filled up nearly as much as it can - that has a NKPS/HQ combination. In effect its pulled freight from its peers - if I recall my next move was to move it to Torun so the freight was stored where it could supply the coming cross-Vistula offensive.

Final bit

quote:

Also, regarding the 'rail usage' number each hex displays. So this is a penalty to the current turn's capacity that is reducing the capacity on the current turn? ie the capacity on my double line this turn is 30k minus the 2.3k rail usage hanging over from last turn? I would like to ask for some context on this 2.3k - is this a relatively big or small number? Is this good or bad for me? I have no idea.

existing usage just sits there, so as opposed to starting with 0 usage you start with 2,000. As you add to that usage the SMP cost/hex goes up - see 38.7.7. Up to 10,000 there is no extra cost then it starts to bite. What that does is to make your trains move more slowly, ie cover less ground or you need more trains to deliver the same volume of freight.

So if was seeing <3,000 it wouldn't overly worry me, if it was in the 5-8,000 range I'd be aware that much usage would start to incur penalties, over 10000 and worth thinking about not using for unit moves.

But to go back to my eg above, the rail to my main depot is orange (& that'll be the residual amount), so by definition I have less train stock elsewhere simply due to that congestion. Well that was a price I was prepared to pay - I really wanted that Soviet Front well resourced, not just to land a powerful opening blow but then to be able to sustain operations for 2-3 weeks even if it outran the depot system.

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 23
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 1:38:23 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Repsol

A question about the rail usage as shown in the manual on page 130...Why is the rail section around Schigry coloured orange and the other parts of that
railline is yellow ? According to the manual it is because of the high supply need of the airbase...
According to the picture Schigry itself has no depot...Wouldn't that mean that the freight would first need to be moved to the closest depot and from there back to the airbase via trucks or horses.
Why then is not the entire railline to the closest depot coloured orange (or yellow)...The way the picture shows it the trains seems to have 'teleported' to the hex next to Schigry...moved to
Schigry and then dissapered. The sections of the rail on either side of Schigry is showing yellow and Schigry is showing orange. Why ?
Isn't the freight transported to the closet depot...and thereby forced to use the entire railline up to that depot equally much ? Is stuff being unloaded at the airbase ? If so...how did the trains get there ?
As both sides of Schigry shows yellow...That is LESS usage the Schigry itself...Does enemy airattack have anything to do with these hexes being of different colour then the rest of that line ? Or have simply the rail usage of those two hexes not been reduced as much as the surrounding hexes in the logistics phase ?

I think I have an answer and it lurks in the statement "Here the Soviet rail net around Kursk is heavily used
due to a build up of forces".

We took most of the images from real games as that (I think) puts stuff into context better.

I'd just moved a tank army by rail to the sector around Kursk as part of a major build up (also judging by the image, more was still being railed in - that artillery division would have demanded a lot). That most definitely left the rail lines all red and it takes a fair few turns (4-5) for that to work out the system. Such a heavy usage, combined with normal freight usage, can really distort the paths that the routines use, so you get black spots (or orange spots) where usage spiked and is being slower to clear.

The other possible explanation is that most of that sector is on the yellow/orange boundary (esp for the single track stages) and its not actually as different as it appears at first glance.

You're right that Schigry as such has no depot so its getting its freight from one nearby.

If I recall my logistics on that sector when that image was taken was in a total mess

(in reply to Repsol)
Post #: 24
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 1:57:49 PM   
Repsol

thanks

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 25
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 2:24:52 PM   
squatter

Thanks again Loki, you have admirable patience in dealing with us newcomers!

A couple more (!) questions off the back of your reply:

You say: "at a given spot you can only have as many trains/rolling stock as there is unused rail yard capacity in 30 hexes. So that sets one input number - how much freight you can load onto trains."

Q: Where can we see what this trains capacity per hex listed?

You say: "your depots set a level of demand and its not impossible that you are demanding too much (across the wider system)."
Q: How can I tell at a glance that my total depot demand exceeds my capacity to meet that demand?

(in reply to Repsol)
Post #: 26
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 2:40:46 PM   
squatter

One of the things about the logistics system for me, is that sadly it is completely unintuitive. Things you see with your eyes often don't equate to what your intuition would be.

An example: a 'green' rail line in the logistics info overlay doesn't necessarily mean 'good'. Sometimes it means good (ie track isn't overloaded). But often it means really bad (ie not many supplies flowing on this route). Hmmm.

Another example that's just hit me:

I was under the assumption that the size of the coloured bars above depots provide an at-a-glance summary of the amount of supplies that depot can/is handling, and that the size of these bars tell you approx what the numbers involved are, ie if the size of your green 'received' bar is the same size as your red 'sent' bar, you can assume the amount received and the amount sent are broadly similar.

Now I realise this is not the case (unless I'm very mistaken)

Take the two depots in the below image with the yellow arrows.

The size of all their bars is comparable. This leads one to assume the numbers within the depots will be comparable.

They are not... (cont)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 27
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 2:43:46 PM   
squatter

Here's the southerly depot's numbers.

What surprises me here are the received/stored/sent numbers are 8k vs 19k vs 4.5k yet the three bars are the same size?

That leaves me slightly dumbfounded and confused. (cont...)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 28
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 2:49:27 PM   
squatter

Now to the northerly of the two depots.

What jumps out here is that ok, the black capacity bar here and with the southerly depot are pretty much the same size, and both depots are around 30k capacity, so that makes sense.

However... as you can see the received/stored/sent bars again don't match the numbers involved, both internally within this depot, and when compared to the size of the bars/numbers in the other depot.

At this point I am totally confused and don't know really where to start in trying to understand what is going on here. It's really quite demoralising tbh that the intuition level is so low in the way the game feeds back to the new user. I mean isnt the blue bar below meant to be around 1% the size of the black bar?!

But then hopefully I'm just being thick and there's strong logic behind all this..!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by squatter -- 4/1/2021 2:51:02 PM >

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 29
RE: Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics - 4/1/2021 3:10:10 PM   
Repsol

Good points, squatter...This indeed seems less then ideal

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> Trying to Wrap my Arms Around Logistics Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI