Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to tell if a unit has disembarked from vehicle?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> How to tell if a unit has disembarked from vehicle? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to tell if a unit has disembarked from vehicle? - 4/17/2021 9:46:58 PM   
VonWulfen

Hi all.
I am playing the tutorial and have moved my mech inf into the city with a disembark order on arrival.
Once they arrive how do I see if they have disembarked?
Should I be seeing the transport vehicles plus the disembarked unit counter?
I am only seeing the vehicle counter at the moment I think.
Also, should I be moving their transport vehicles out of the city to the rear?

‘Be so good as to call me an elephant,’
Stephen Maturin
Post #: 1
RE: How to tell if a unit has disembarked from vehicle? - 4/17/2021 10:20:53 PM   
SwampYankee68

Edit. Not sure, it's been so long since I played and I don't want to give bad information.

< Message edited by SwampYankee68 -- 4/17/2021 10:22:13 PM >

"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 2
RE: How to tell if a unit has disembarked from vehicle? - 4/17/2021 11:33:04 PM   
CapnDarwin

When a mechanized unit is one the move you will see a vehicle silhouette and the movement mode will be T for tracked or W for wheeled. When they stop and dismount the unit graphics change to a NATO infantry or weapon team symbol and the movement mode is L for leg.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to SwampYankee68)
Post #: 3
RE: How to tell if a unit has disembarked from vehicle? - 4/18/2021 3:05:14 PM   
pzgndr

SS will have separate dismounted units, yes?

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 4
RE: How to tell if a unit has disembarked from vehicle? - 4/18/2021 5:44:57 PM   
VonWulfen

quote:

ORIGINAL: CapnDarwin

When a mechanized unit is one the move you will see a vehicle silhouette and the movement mode will be T for tracked or W for wheeled. When they stop and dismount the unit graphics change to a NATO infantry or weapon team symbol and the movement mode is L for leg.

Many thanks :)

‘Be so good as to call me an elephant,’
Stephen Maturin

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 5
RE: How to tell if a unit has disembarked from vehicle? - 4/18/2021 6:58:47 PM   
CapnDarwin

@pzgndr, not at release. That feature requires a vast amount of recoding, AI work, and testing. For SS, we have added some better control over the use of the carriers post dismount.

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 6
RE: How to tell if a unit has disembarked from vehicle? - 4/19/2021 1:37:13 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

For SS, we have added some better control over the use of the carriers post dismount.

That's a start. I would prefer to see separate mounted and dismounted elements so that mechanized infantry operations can be fully modeled better. The assumption that dismounts all stay within 500m of their carriers is an unnecessary restriction in some situations.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 7
RE: How to tell if a unit has disembarked from vehicle? - 4/19/2021 4:12:21 PM   
CapnDarwin

Agreed on the better in some cases aspect. We will need to look at a more global method of how to best track and use who carries what. If A only carries B (a specific unit) the relationship is simple and the AI can do a decent job of loading and unloading when the need arises. Where things jump into the amazingly complex is if A can carry any type of unit B. For a player, this is simple to place various Bs into As if they fit. For the AI, this becomes a very complex puzzle to work out based on the current state of the game. Even with some abstractions and rules, this becomes a fragile thing to get to work as needed. We have it on our radar and once we tackle it, it will find its way into the game engines. Just going to be a while as we are already crazy busy with Southern Storm and the Cold War engine and the Pro work we are supporting.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 8
RE: How to tell if a unit has disembarked from vehicle? - 4/21/2021 8:53:18 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

this becomes a very complex puzzle to work out based on the current state of the game

Agreed. At minimum, a squad/team assigned to a vehicle could remain linked to its vehicle and be the only unit able to load back onto that vehicle. Certainly, as losses mount and mismatches occur, the player or AI should then be reassigning units to vehicles pending a size check. That would keep it as linear and simple as possible, rather than trying to sort out multiple units to be loaded onto multiple carriers. The challenge then would be on the reassignment function and its AI algorithm, but the game should already be looking at that to reassign stray squad/team/vehicle units to another platoon/company for command and control? Just a thought.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> How to tell if a unit has disembarked from vehicle? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI