Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Client Minors and Allied Majors contradict each other

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Client Minors and Allied Majors contradict each other Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Client Minors and Allied Majors contradict each other - 5/2/2021 8:53:26 AM   
Usokitsuki

I've had full 100 relationship with a rather large Major republic, with all possible spheres maxed out at three, including having a Victory Pact with them (I also shared a border with them, left mostly undefended). Sometime later I've made a Minor farmer regime into a client state. Exactly two turns later I see my ally Major eat through third of my territory all of a sudden, tearing my supply lines without so much as a warning. What happened? My ally Major regime with which I have a Victory Pact went on and invaded my minor client state, and, as it was my client state, went to war with me on its own turn and subsequently invaded my territory, completely disregarding 3 levels of military and diplomatic relationship... The blow was massive enough that I had to abandon the run altogether, as there was no way to regroup and recover for me with another war going on on the other front (which is why I wasn't keeping forces on the border with my ally(disregarding the fact that I could not possibly conceive I ever would need to)).

Now, my question is: is this intentional? Why don't your allies check if you're allied with their target before attacking them? There are no diplomatic tools for me to raise the relationship between my client states and my allied majors, or, at least, I do not know of such tools.
Post #: 1
RE: Client Minors and Allied Majors contradict each other - 5/2/2021 10:12:10 AM   
Maerchen

You missed the declaration of war that was in reports - letterbox as well as in the VID section as a result of the minor vassal getting invaded. I recommend checking said letterbox every turn.

There is no diplomatic mechanic for this event. Because it happens frequently when you play with diplomancy, I prepare for this, though, and if you know it will happen, can sort of cheese it a bit. Because of this, I never lower my border guard to friendly majors that have access to my vassals.

In the turn the AI attacks you client/protectorate, you get a declaration of war, but your border doesn't get touched because the AI is sort of surprised by this, too. I then use the next turn to invade said major - we are at war, after all -, grab me some chunks of his territory with the border patrol and as last action of the turn, Propose Peace back to him. Because relation is still in the 90s, this will be an easy task for your foreign affairs director. It was just a misunderstanding, you know...

In the end you will get a new zone from the newly integrated minor, all his troops as militia for you, some border adjustment from the 1-turn-misunderstanding war, can maybe cut off some of his troops or grab a border town from him.

The logistics hell this game is IS the fun part! - Maerchen, 2020

The good thing is, we have all the information in the reports. The bad thing is, we have all the information. Maerchen, 2020

Came for SE. Will stay for SE.

(in reply to Usokitsuki)
Post #: 2
RE: Client Minors and Allied Majors contradict each other - 5/2/2021 11:25:32 AM   
Zanotirn

In my experience there is something wrong with the way AI invades your protectorates/clients - in general it seems like to declare war on minors the moment their borders meet, even if it doesn't have the forces to spare to that front at the moment. And it doesn't look like it checks for the the minor's protectorate status - I've been hit several times with such declarations of war in situations where under normal circumstances the major would not declare war on me (decent relations, they're not under warmongering faction and have no strength advantage) - and since the war comes as soon as the borders meet, it doesn't look like it's part of some kind of strategy on AI's part. At this point I've just stopped using client card except if a) I intend to follow up with annexation on next turn (which usually means that I am ready to link my road systems) or b) I can see the major's borders approach the minor, I can expect that the client card will become unusable when the borders meet due to the immediate "in a war with a major" status, and I either can handle the situation on that front militarily, or have some plea of friendship and peace cards stashed.

(in reply to Maerchen)
Post #: 3
RE: Client Minors and Allied Majors contradict each other - 5/2/2021 12:06:12 PM   
zgrssd

It sounds like buggy behavior to me. If you got a savegame just before they declare a war, maybe hold it ready as you make a bug report and wait for Vic to tell you he needs the savegame?

(in reply to Zanotirn)
Post #: 4
RE: Client Minors and Allied Majors contradict each other - 5/2/2021 2:56:26 PM   
Zanotirn

Not at the moment I'm afraid, I only keep the first and last savegames of completed playthroughs.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 5
RE: Client Minors and Allied Majors contradict each other - 5/2/2021 3:34:02 PM   
Eretzu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zanotirn

In my experience there is something wrong with the way AI invades your protectorates/clients ...

I had a game where I was a protector of two minors both with a border to an AI major. Then the major declared war to one minor and I got to annex it, so far so good. Problem was that once we were at war, the major was a complete coward. I would walk my newly gained militia next to his tanks and then he started just running. So much so that I conquered a city just by walking, no battles required. This happened twice. He also regularly sent me 1k credit gifts (relation improvement i assume).

For me it seemed that the AI did not want to be in war with me, but did not care about the protectorate status and what it means.

(also I did a bug report about this already)

(in reply to Zanotirn)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Client Minors and Allied Majors contradict each other Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI