Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Yet another suggestion post

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Yet another suggestion post Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yet another suggestion post - 5/2/2021 11:47:35 PM   
OrnluWolfjarl

Greetings, I hope that if the dev team is reading this, then you find at least something useful. I've made this list some years ago for DW1, but never got to posting it. Recently, I started a new DW1 campaign, and decided to re-write this based on my playing experience. Hope it's helpful!

1. Track multiple designs for each class of ship, and know to distinguish between different subclasses. Don't track one ship design as the latest design for a class. Introduce Sub-Class as a selection when designing a ship. For example:

Class: Destroyer

Sub-Class: A (player uses this as the Regular destroyer)

Sub-Class: B (player uses this for Long Range missions)

Then each sub-class is tracked as a separate design, and if I want to retrofit all Destroyers B to Destroyers B Mk2, then I can do it with a click of a button, without having to find them all and specifically tell them to what design to upgrade for.

This is purely a change to aid in management. For balance purposes, it would be perfectly fine if Destroyer A would behave the same as Destroyer B in combat. It just allows for different designs aimed at different missions.

2. The new automation options are great. But I would like to add my suggestion to expand manual control as well. Building up resource extraction manually can be made much simpler and more time-efficient than in DW1, without changing the system too much, just with 2 modifications:

a. Have a special pool to put construction ships in. Construction ships in this pool are meant to be used for building mining stations. Any other ships kept out can be used at the player's discretion for special projects (e.g. repairing salvage)

b. In the list of resource sources, the button "queue nearest construction ship to build a mining station in this location" does not actually queue a construction ship right away. Instead it gives the Pool of a construction ships an order. When the next construction ship in the Pool has No Mission, then it gets assigned the queued order.

This way, the player can keep around construction ships for doing other more specialized construction jobs, like building resorts, starbases, research stations or repairing ships, stations and salvage. This also removes the tediousness of looking in the resource window every 5 minutes to assign the next jobs to your construction vessels.

2.5 If nothing else, I'd just really love if I could pause automation/queued orders, have the ship do something different for a second, and then have it resume back on its previous job by just clicking to unpause its regular orders. For example, this is a big issue that I have with exploration ships that I want to check out a special location, but I don't want to miss out on exploring their current star system fully. So I could just pause its exploration order, send it to the special location to investigate, then point it back on its original task.

3. On the left tab (lists of colonies, fleets, construction ships, exploration ships, etc), there should be the option to add customizable selection options. For example, let's say I want to quickly go to a certain colony more often than the others. Maybe I could make its own list to keep it there, and use it as a shortcut. Saves up space on my number groups, and gives me the option to create task forces with a mixture of ships that I don't actually want to keep all in one fleet.

4. Queueing up missions should be made easy with a shortcut (e.g. Ctrl+Click queues the mission). Queued up missions should be cancellable one-by-one with a shortcut (e.g. Shift+Click cancels the last queued mission)

5. When holding a selection of ships (e.g. in a fleet or with a selection box), give us the option to deselect ships by clicking on them in the list (e.g. right-click on ship icon in selection window deselects the ship)

6. Exploration ships should consider investigating ruins and abandoned ships/stations as part of their exploration order. If I ask an exploration ship in DW1 to explore an entire sector, it will just look for the resources, but will ignore Ruins and Abandoned Ships/Stations. Instead it will investigate those if it just happens to get close to one on its way to finding the resources of a planet. Instead of saving time and attention when I automate exploration, it often becomes a babysitting chore. I usually hold off on Resource Sensors, specifically so I can force my exploration ships to go near planets and Investigate things as they explore them.

< Message edited by OrnluWolfjarl -- 5/2/2021 11:55:41 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Yet another suggestion post - 5/4/2021 1:59:30 AM   
Amoebanzai

I totally agree on tracking on sub-classes. It is problematic to manage shipdesigns of a same hull code serving different roles in DW1. Sometimes i accidentally retrofit ship to a different role instead of upgrading a handful new components.

(in reply to OrnluWolfjarl)
Post #: 2
RE: Yet another suggestion post - 5/4/2021 2:04:13 AM   
Amoebanzai

I stumbled upon all formentioned points, too. Some edges to polish in DW2.

(in reply to Amoebanzai)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Yet another suggestion post Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI