Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RED dice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> RED dice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RED dice - 8/28/2003 11:12:35 AM   
humunuku

Please help solve my mystery: I encountered two combats today involving a RED die (instead of the ordinary white one). I have looked thoroughly through the on-disk manual, but found no explanation; I only scanned the tutorials, but also came up empty.

The red die appeared as soon as I clicked to set up an attack, and stayed red after the combat result was posted.

Could the red die have something to do with signifying the defending unit as "out of supply?" One attack was versus a totally surrounded German armored unit (2 steps left), at the tip of the German thrust; the other was an overrun versus an adjacent, hapless engineer, but it was at least still adjacent to many other German units.

I am really impressed with how difficult it is to surround the aggressive Germans in Wiking Whiteout: They stubbornly kept 2 entire SS armor divisions advancing against the Russian northern objective city, despite my 2-3 turn effort to "cut them off" from their supply line over the river. Although I cut thru their line and reached the river, my Russkies found themselves temporarily out of supply, due to having only a 1-2 hex width. This partially explains how I had the earlier red dice attacks versus "surrounded" units, but not truely "isolated" (thus the Germans were still highlit as being in an "all red" supply area).

Lots of fun learning how this all works! (Thanks again to Chris Merchant: Great learning scenario!)

Yah, the "battle of the surrounds" goes on...bring on my punishment.

Bob Cohen
Post #: 1
- 8/28/2003 12:57:23 PM   
Fred98

[QUOTE]

Could the red die have something to do with signifying the defending unit as "out of supply?" [/QUOTE]

Yes thats my understanding.

You can test this by setting up a small game and play against yourself - and recreate this situation

(in reply to humunuku)
Post #: 2
- 8/31/2003 12:03:01 AM   
humunuku

Thanks to Gregor and Rob for confirming that the RED dice signify a defending unit which is isolated, as I guessed might be the case.

However, this explanation does not totally solve my question. Following the previously described situation on Turn 7 (of Wiking Whiteout), I now find in Turn 8: Four German SS armor on one hex (= 17,9; all are still in the same kind of "surrounded" situation, but ONLY ONE of the four is shown with a red background and thus "isolated;" why are the other three units not shown as isolated? NOTE: None of these units have attacked or been attacked during the past 4 turns or so (and thus, all show the identical 4 bullets of supply).

Thanks again for allowing me to "beat this old horse" until it is finally dead. At this point, I am simply curious as to whether this might be a glitch in the program, or if there is a truly logical explanation for different conditions which might cause "isolation").

Bob Cohen

(in reply to humunuku)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> RED dice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI