Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sulfur Dioxide in planet generation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Sulfur Dioxide in planet generation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sulfur Dioxide in planet generation - 5/26/2021 10:52:33 PM   
DanieltheJew

After a day or so of trying to generate planets with breathable atmospheres, I've discovered that with the current planet generation parameters it is almost impossible to generate breathable atmospheres on all but a few of the planet classes, including unclassified, because they will all generate atmospheres with no less than 150ppm of SO2, except where no oxygen is present in the atmosphere at all. Siwa, Hydra and Boreas class planets limit the presence of SO2 in the atmosphere to 2ppm in the biosphere calculation phase, independent of what results you get in the previous phases, so you will almost never get an insidious atmosphere, even if none of the other conditions on the planet are conducive to an oxygenated atmosphere. Hydra and Morgana class planets seem to be able to generate planets using either preset, giving results of either 150ppm+ of SO2 or 2ppm SO2 planets.

Can we get a setting on the History Class phase that will always use the script that results in a 2ppm SO2 atmosphere, regardless of planet class, or at least limits the amount of SO2 to potentially breathable levels? It seems like it already exists in the game code, making it a toggleable setting be neat.

< Message edited by DanieltheJew -- 5/26/2021 11:54:42 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Sulfur Dioxide in planet generation - 5/27/2021 12:06:04 AM   
scottrossi

the only ones you're going to have an easy time doing this with are Siwa, Hydra and Morgana. They are the ones closest to Earth. With the Alien Life history option selected, I've been successful at it with Boreas, Limos and Random, but you've gotta go warmer and higher gravity. i vaguely recall rolling it once on a Seth class world, but i think it's supposed to reflect the fact that atmospheres like ours currently appear on the rarer side of things. i have sometimes rolled worlds where they get terraformed in colonization phase and that fixes the atmosphere but that's rare.

(in reply to DanieltheJew)
Post #: 2
RE: Sulfur Dioxide in planet generation - 5/27/2021 2:49:41 PM   
BlueTemplar

Oooh, is this why I had to give up on trying to roll an Unclassified planet where open (xeno)farming (requiring water) worked ?

(in reply to scottrossi)
Post #: 3
RE: Sulfur Dioxide in planet generation - 5/27/2021 11:56:37 PM   
DanieltheJew

My understanding is that it only affects breathability, not farming, so you can still roll up unclassified worlds that allow for open farms. Ironically, the unclassified planets with the most breathable atmospheres appear to contain no oxygen whatsoever.

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 4
RE: Sulfur Dioxide in planet generation - 5/30/2021 12:43:33 AM   
Zanotirn

Actually I don't think SO2 is supposed to do that. In high concentrations and when combined with enough water vapor it can get corrosive due to some of it ending up as sulfuric acid, but in ppm range it should be entirely filterable and thus should not be able to raise respiratory hazard above 1.

< Message edited by Zanotirn -- 5/30/2021 12:52:43 AM >

(in reply to DanieltheJew)
Post #: 5
RE: Sulfur Dioxide in planet generation - 6/1/2021 11:10:16 AM   
BlueTemplar

My bad, I confused Respiratory Hazard with (Terran Agriculture) Atmospheric Toxicity.

----

Well, you already get acid rain at 0.1-2 ppm, so I assume that at 150+ppm things might get *really* bad, to the point where even filters might not cut it ?

(in reply to Zanotirn)
Post #: 6
RE: Sulfur Dioxide in planet generation - 6/3/2021 12:08:13 AM   
Zanotirn

At 150 ppm you get more sulfuric acid in the rain and some in the air, which would definitely increase your maintenance costs as metal exposed to the elements will need to be protected or replaced regularly (but the game doesn't model that). However it's not like S02 in ppm range would cause rains of concentrated acid (the acid rain in your link is the kind that will erode stone monuments over years, not cause health issues) - clothing impermeable to liquids is much simpler to make than envirosuits and filters combined with face mask will prevent it from getting in your lungs, mouth or eyes (which are the main areas that need protection from S02). The clothing would be heavier and less comfortable, but S02 at any concentration which can be found in the game will neither force you to carry breathable air with you, nor get full environmental sealing.

At very high concentrations it will cause skin damage but for this SO2 would need to be in percents, not parts per million (1 ppm is considered safe for healthy people, hazardous environment starts from 5 ppm, so 150 is high, but not *that* high).

Also again the caveat is that S02 can only lead to creation of sulfuric acid when the environment has water in it. I don't think the game checks for it. Without water in the picture you need concentrated S02 to get skin damage.

< Message edited by Zanotirn -- 6/3/2021 12:18:44 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: Sulfur Dioxide in planet generation - 6/3/2021 7:35:49 AM   
BlueTemplar

Water... or another solvent ?

(in reply to Zanotirn)
Post #: 8
RE: Sulfur Dioxide in planet generation - 6/3/2021 11:41:20 AM   
Zanotirn

It's not a matter of water as a solvent (when something dissolves, the molecules themselves don't change), it's just that SO2 reacts with water when dissolved ending up producing H2SO4. There's not many other solvents you can get in atmosphere, I think ammonia is the only one you can get in the game - it will react with S02, but the results are not particularly dangerous, though best not ingested - in fact ammonia injection can be used to remove excess S02 from exhaust gases in industry.

Post #: 9
RE: Sulfur Dioxide in planet generation - 6/3/2021 1:21:41 PM   
BlueTemplar

:facepalm: Should have remembered that from a wine chemistry class I gave help with !

(in reply to Zanotirn)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Sulfur Dioxide in planet generation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI