Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SHQ Unit Storage and Setting up Strategic Reserves

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> War Room >> SHQ Unit Storage and Setting up Strategic Reserves Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SHQ Unit Storage and Setting up Strategic Reserves - 6/24/2021 5:55:13 AM   
Overlord015

How feasible is this?

Do units stored cost maintenance, wages and supplies to the same levels like units afield? If this is the case then players would be encouraged to just scrap replaced hardware (vics, crew served systems), which is a shame. It'd be nice if you could mothball these to allow players (and maybe AI too) to build stocks of outdated and obsolete equipment to replenish loses if a war goes sideways or to manually upgrade your militias (via transfers).

I often like to have a minimum amount of infantry and other non-vic base forces to allow them to build up experience to avoid replacements being 0XP fresh recruits when replacing loses. To support this I tend to build and upgrade a barracks in my capital too. I'm not much of a min-maxer, nor am I that familiar with the game's "under the hood" workings. How effective are either of these two approaches under the current balance? Am I just wasting resources, is it just more efficient to just stick to replacing units "on-demand" to save resources?
Post #: 1
RE: SHQ Unit Storage and Setting up Strategic Reserves - 6/24/2021 3:26:43 PM   
BlueTemplar

"vic" ?

Yeah they do. (People still have to eat, whether they are a worker, a reserve recruit, or a SHQ troop ! They like to be paid too.)

But they also gain XP... and AFAIK can defend the SHQ ?

Mothballing equipment could be a nice feature... but how often is it even going to be used ?

AFAIK the training bonus from Barracks applies regime-wide ? (To militia too ?)

The great thing about having troops ready in your SHQ is that if their equivalents are destroyed in the field and you have enough logipoints, they will be replaced during turn processing, with fresh troops ready at that location for your turn !

< Message edited by BlueTemplar -- 6/24/2021 3:27:24 PM >

(in reply to Overlord015)
Post #: 2
RE: SHQ Unit Storage and Setting up Strategic Reserves - 6/24/2021 4:05:42 PM   
Overlord015

Vic = vehicle, sorry, jargon from work is leaking, didn't even notice I typed that in, lol.

TBH, I didn't know the bonus from barracks was regime-wide, I always thought it was a local bonus, that's good to know.

Mostly I was coming from the angle of efficiency. IE, is it better to scrap replaced vehicles? Or is it worthwhile to hold on to them both to train up new crews, and to be a reserve in case attrition outpaces your industrial base's ability to produce replacements? Is it better to only build unit replacements as soon as they're needed, or is it feasible to try to build a decently trained reserve over time, or would it be too expensive? Ergo, is having a brigade's worth of units sitting at your SHQ just as expensive to maintain as an an actual brigade in the field (ignoring fuel and ammo expenditure)? These are some of the questions that I wanted to put forward and explore with this post. Apologies if I was unclear, let me know if you feel like I should elaborate further.

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 3
RE: SHQ Unit Storage and Setting up Strategic Reserves - 6/26/2021 9:45:41 PM   
BlueTemplar

I'd say that if you can afford it, it's also important to have a fresh, rapid reaction force sitting *on top* of your SHQ, probably already with a commander (since it takes a turn to add one).

Maybe even two of them, one dedicated to anti-rebel combat ?

But really, this is going to depend *a lot* on the situation !

(in reply to Overlord015)
Post #: 4
RE: SHQ Unit Storage and Setting up Strategic Reserves - 6/27/2021 10:32:20 AM   
zgrssd

Recruits in SHQ storage already cost Food and Wages - the food just has a very short travel time.

Units in the SHQ definitely cost Food and Wages as well (again, short travel time for food).
I am not sure if they cost fuel. I am pretty sure units do not have a passive fuel consumption - with the exception of motorized forces under a certain OHQ Stratagem.

Currently you can not store equipment without the manpower to wield it. Manpower and gear make one, inseperable unit.

Training of new Units requires a lot of Experience on the remaining troops in that unit - so there is only so much they can learn in the SHQ. Chances are they learn more and faster in the frontline units.

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 5
RE: SHQ Unit Storage and Setting up Strategic Reserves - 6/27/2021 9:39:31 PM   
BlueTemplar

IIRC troops in the SHQ don't have ammo, fuel, energy, rads yet... (yet they still can defend it ?)

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> War Room >> SHQ Unit Storage and Setting up Strategic Reserves Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI