Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: If you could design your own computer wargame

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: If you could design your own computer wargame Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/29/2021 3:37:41 AM   
Rosseau

The larger (optional) Revolution Under Siege Gold campaign game has always been my favorite Ageod scenario. Thanks for reminding me, gamer78!

And yes, I knew nothing about the Russian Civil War until then.

Today I purchased the recently released (on Battlefront so far) Combat Mission Cold War. That's a potential conflict I knew something about, so I was not sure I would enjoy it. Very close to home. But we'll see.

Back on topic to the OP's original post, a game that would allow the larger engagements simulated by a game like CMCW via a higher level resolution, with the option to play it out tactically, would be quite nice. Something like a Command Ops 2 with the ability to go deeper.

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 31
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/29/2021 2:51:50 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: hapshott

A wargame with good AI...

I find scripted scenario lazy programming and not replayable. You alreay know that X platoons are coming from the right or left when you replay it. A solution for such cases would be more scripts. But then you have a difficult time in debugging and fine-tune all the scripts.

It depends on the game's scripting engine. With a robust scripting engine, the scenario designer can vary the action, and reaction, and even have it auto-adapt.

quote:

An idea of my would be that the AI determines the tactics it want to us on higher level. Attack centre, use right flank, etc. Perhaps help the AI by looking at the player units, then it selects 4 tactics and randomize which tactics is chosen. After that it will use a tactics engine.

We are doing this more or less (not quite for all scenarios) in the forthcoming Campaign Series: Vietnam game (and all future CS games).

With the CSEE (Campaign Series Event Engine) and its SAI (Scripted AI), there is no end to the sophistication, and replayability. As you say, it is time consuming debugging and fine tuning the scripts. But practical time constraints and programming difficulty aside, inherently there are no limits on what you can do with the CSEE/SAI.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to hapshott)
Post #: 32
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/29/2021 6:06:17 PM   
Jason Petho

Yes, with Campaign Series Vietnam, there is a lot of scripting for the scenarios.

For the scenarios I have scripted, the AI will play (with a few options down to the company level) as I would be playing against you. Will it be a Napoleon? No. Will it give you a run for your money? Yes, I believe it will.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 33
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/29/2021 7:50:52 PM   
gamer78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

The larger (optional) Revolution Under Siege Gold campaign game has always been my favorite Ageod scenario. Thanks for reminding me, gamer78!

And yes, I knew nothing about the Russian Civil War until then.

Today I purchased the recently released (on Battlefront so far) Combat Mission Cold War. That's a potential conflict I knew something about, so I was not sure I would enjoy it. Very close to home. But we'll see.

Back on topic to the OP's original post, a game that would allow the larger engagements simulated by a game like CMCW via a higher level resolution, with the option to play it out tactically, would be quite nice. Something like a Command Ops 2 with the ability to go deeper.

Hi Rosseau, I'll check combat missions-but I don't like "potential conflicts"-. There are real conflicts in the past still no game about it. I've watched previously The Vietnam War(TV series) directed by Ken Burns, it was full of military and civilian back home conflicts and I enjoy it. I'll definetely like a game about it. More nations produce a documentary such as this quality I'll definitely watch and play a game about it.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 34
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/29/2021 7:51:31 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognerd_INC

Which games do you think are ground breaking and why?

Sid Meier's Civilization

Do I need to tell why?

I don't know what would be as groundbreaking game like that, so my game design would be just to refine the Civ series with wargame level detail. More unit statistics, logistics, combined arms...

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Post #: 35
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/30/2021 1:02:00 AM   
Rosseau

Yes, one might imagine the Civ Series with a decent wargaming engine. That might be a huge hit for many gamers.

And I forgot about the Campaign Series, which I own. The scripting capabilities are exciting. And I love the current CSME game in general.

But even for an old wargamer like me, CSME is relatively difficult to play UI-wise. There is pleasure there for sure, but you really need to invest in learning the system - greatly improved - but still going back to the late John Tiller's Campaign Series roots.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 36
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/30/2021 5:09:36 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

But even for an old wargamer like me, CSME is relatively difficult to play UI-wise.

We have updated the UI for Vietnam, and will port these improvements with the 3.0 Update for Middle East.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 37
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/30/2021 10:13:39 PM   
gamer78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

Yes, one might imagine the Civ Series with a decent wargaming engine. That might be a huge hit for many gamers.

With Civ 6 series IMHO- if you've played- it become perfect city building- perfect engineering game -with best city placements and districts system- no where near in wargaming this perfect plan..

For the topic If I could design computer wargame I'll also look at conflicts before 20'th century. There is always worth developing game about.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 38
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/30/2021 11:19:35 PM   
Elessar2

For me it would be a hybrid grand strategy/FPS/sim of WWII. Spawn at your base, head out in your tank/ship/airplane, fight for bases, interdict convoys, bomb factories. Would have a chain of command, experienced players running the show and deciding on the broader moves.

Now, I am well aware that this has already been tried, with WW2 Online, whose graphics engine is wayyy out of date and feature adds have been glacial. I'd try to appeal to the World of X crowd; with a sufficient critical mass of players it would be awesome. Maybe.

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 39
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 7/1/2021 1:45:22 AM   
Rosseau

With that in mind, from a Naval point-of-view, we have Steam's War on the Sea in early access, which is not bad, and may be worth a look for some. It is also easily text-moddable.

And thanks Matrix for reminding us on your Home Page (), but there is Broken Arrow coming our way. Hoping for the best on that one, but will still commit to purchase it on day-one.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: If you could design your own computer wargame Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI