Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Tacview: Should I ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Tacview: Should I ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 9/2/2021 5:13:23 AM   
thewood1

It was a test to show the impact of TacView. It was easier to test. My point is that there is an impact on using TacView. I thought that was obvious. Its especially noticeable with any time compression on a mid-range PC.

And thats not considering the size of the scenario. A large scenario where you are pushing processing limits also makes it more noticeable. As I have said before, you might not notice it with a good PC and a mid-sized scenario. But it is there.

< Message edited by thewood1 -- 9/2/2021 5:14:51 AM >

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to boogabooga)
Post #: 31
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 9/2/2021 7:57:48 PM   
thewood1

Just ran a benchmark using a run of a modded Op Brass Drum on the i9 with the 2080. This first pic is a 10 minute real time run with fastest time compression and no TacView. The pic needs a little explaining. I have CMO running with the stopwatch at 10 minute. CMO is now paused so I can calculate the time compression. Its about 86 game minutes to 1 real minute. The CPU load is between 18% and 20%. I also monitored the 10 seperate cores. They ran between 10% and 20% by eye.

Attachment (1)

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 32
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 9/2/2021 8:07:36 PM   
thewood1

This pic is the same scenario and timing but with TacView running. The time compression goes from the 86 to 77. Over 15% drop in time compression. Not the higher CPU usage on the left of the charts of the Intel CPU monitoring. It goes from around 20% without TacView to around 30% CPU usage. About a 30% change in performance.

So even for a relatively top range machine, you have a pretty big performance hit. I tried these tests with a 1:5 time compression. At that compression, the TacView hit was barely noticeable. The PC had plenty of capacity to absorb the extra cycles needed. But there were extra cycles. With no TacView, CPU usage was 4-5%. With TacView, it was around 12%. Again, not noticeable on a good machine. But on a mid-range laptop or lower end desktop, TacView will most likely have a noticeable impact on even low time compression performance.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 33
RE: Tacview: Should I ? - 9/2/2021 8:09:42 PM   
thewood1

btw, all of that above is on a mid-ranged 800 unit scenario. Get into anything above 3000 and I bet the performance hit gets noticeable faster.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Tacview: Should I ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI