Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My thoughts on German Strategy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> The War Room >> My thoughts on German Strategy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My thoughts on German Strategy - 9/4/2003 6:20:00 AM   
siRkid

Here are some of my thoughts on German strategy.

1. Blow every bridge you do not need to keep your supply lines open.

2. Watch the weather very closely. The German player moves last and can use this to great advantage. If you see the next turn is going to be mud, you can safely withdraw to a new defensive line because the Soviets will not be able to catch up for a turn or two. If the next turn is going to be mud, look for soviet units that will be stranded on your side of the river and bring up reinforcements so you can kill them off next turn.

3. Pull back and rest any units that are within one turn of recovering a strength point. The Germans get so few replacements and this will help conserve them.

4. Never waist armor replacements on recon units.

5. The Germans have some very strong armor units that are capable of taking advantage of holes and lone units don't be afraid to use them.

6. There are a lot of Soviet units and sometimes they get bunched up. Look for stacks that do not have anywhere to retreat due to stacking limits and hit them hard. If you force a retreat, those units will take extra loses.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Post #: 1
- 9/4/2003 8:58:12 AM   
hank

Good advice. I'm new to this game and there are some real subtle tactics that's different from other games I play. Mud, replacement strategy, etc.

Tactical withdrawals are key for axis IMHO ... and using your armor to slam down on hot spots.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 2
- 9/4/2003 6:03:17 PM   
Pawlock

[QUOTE=Kid]Here are some of my thoughts on German strategy.

1. Blow every bridge you do not need to keep your supply lines open.

2. Watch the weather very closely. The German player moves last and can use this to great advantage. If you see the next turn is going to be mud, you can safely withdraw to a new defensive line because the Soviets will not be able to catch up for a turn or two. If the next turn is going to be mud, look for soviet units that will be stranded on your side of the river and bring up reinforcements so you can kill them off next turn.

3. Pull back and rest any units that are within one turn of recovering a strength point. The Germans get so few replacements and this will help conserve them.

4. Never waist armor replacements on recon units.

5. The Germans have some very strong armor units that are capable of taking advantage of holes and lone units don't be afraid to use them.

6. There are a lot of Soviet units and sometimes they get bunched up. Look for stacks that do not have anywhere to retreat due to stacking limits and hit them hard. If you force a retreat, those units will take extra loses.[/QUOTE]

In my previous pbem game, I destroyed a whole Russian cavalry division because he had no retreat path. Easy mistake to make on offence. Always make sure you have somewhere for your units to retreat in the rear.

I still had my *** whooped though in the long run :eek:

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> The War Room >> My thoughts on German Strategy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI