Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A Wrench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Mike (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: A Wrench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Mike (A) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Wrench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) ... - 8/11/2021 5:33:00 PM   
btd64

How about Christy Brinkley. Naw, to good to be a wench....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 31
RE: A Wrench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) ... - 8/11/2021 5:50:35 PM   
BBfanboy

Troops in the field can always get supply from a base that has some, regardless of stockpiling. Turning on stockpiling does not prevent a base from pulling in more supply from other bases which are not stockpiling. But once you turn off stockpiling at Lashio the supplies should flow in every direction that there is demand, but the rate of flow is determined by terrain and roads/rail and the strength of the demand draw.

To overcome Rangoon's tendency to draw supply as the biggest port, turn off stockpiling there and remove any increases to supply draw that may have been added there. Send any HQs at the base to upstream bases. The rail line should allow good flow all the way to Lashio so set stockpiling ON there and increase the supply draw manually to max (+25). When you drop stockpiling and cancel the manual draw at Lashio, set stockpiling at the next base and increase the supply draw there to counter the backflow to Rangoon.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 32
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/11/2021 5:53:31 PM   
USSAmerica

I think I'm still leaning toward Wendy Wench, unless we have another inspired suggestion.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 33
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/11/2021 5:55:55 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Troops in the field can always get supply from a base that has some, regardless of stockpiling. Turning on stockpiling does not prevent a base from pulling in more supply from other bases which are not stockpiling. But once you turn off stockpiling at Lashio the supplies should flow in every direction that there is demand, but the rate of flow is determined by terrain and roads/rail and the strength of the demand draw.

To overcome Rangoon's tendency to draw supply as the biggest port, turn off stockpiling there and remove any increases to supply draw that may have been added there. Send any HQs at the base to upstream bases. The rail line should allow good flow all the way to Lashio so set stockpiling ON there and increase the supply draw manually to max (+25). When you drop stockpiling and cancel the manual draw at Lashio, set stockpiling at the next base and increase the supply draw there to counter the backflow to Rangoon.

Ok, I think the piece I was missing is to drop the demand of the rear bases as much as possible, so the demand of the forward (Chinese) bases is stronger. This game will be my practice for using the Supply Pump. Thanks, everyone!

Mike

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 34
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/11/2021 7:52:49 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I thought it only prevented that base from releasing supplies (in our example) to other bases or troops in the field.

Right, stockpiling will prevent supply going to other bases, but pretty sure it'll still go to troops in the field.

As a JFB I've only done it as far as Mandalay, but it was a while ago. I do recall it being a bit tricky. There's a knack to it, but I don't recall what that is now.

RJ has the right idea though.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 35
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/13/2021 5:18:24 PM   
USSAmerica

Our cheerleader is hereby officially named Wendy Wench. She's thrilled to be the face of this AAR and she would really like to hear more about this Supply Pump we've been talking about.

Mike

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 36
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/13/2021 5:58:09 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

Our cheerleader is hereby officially named Wendy Wench. She's thrilled to be the face of this AAR and she would really like to hear more about this Supply Pump we've been talking about.

All hale the wench Wendy. ....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 37
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/13/2021 8:06:43 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Wendy says it's not about how much supply you have, its how you use it ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 38
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/13/2021 8:18:58 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Wendy says it's not about how much supply you have, its how you use it ...

It's all in the logistics chain....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 39
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/14/2021 4:16:22 AM   
rustysi

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 40
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/14/2021 1:15:49 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

Once the supplies are at Lashio, set the bases on the roads between Lashio and any other base not doing the same to "stockpile" and they will not send supplies past them. Then set the spinner up at the Chinese base and it will draw supplies to it but if the bases connected to it in China are stockpiling their supplies, then the only base that can supply it is Lashio. Granted, it might only be 20k supplies every week or so . . .

But then Mandalay can start to stockpile supplies for the next push to Lashio. It is click intensive but you can get supplies to China that way. It is much better to capture Hong Kong in May of 1942 and then ship lots of supplies there.

Maybe I've misunderstood what the Stockpile base setting does. Granted, I've very rarely used it. I thought it only prevented that base from releasing supplies (in our example) to other bases or troops in the field. RJ, are you saying that once I have the supplies pulled up to Lashio that turning on Stockpile at Mandalay, Rangoon, etc., will keep them from drawing supplies back from Lashio when I reduce the spinner at Lashio to allow it to release excess supplies? I know to crank up the demand spinner at the Chinese bases when I drop it at Lashio, but they will likely only draw 1 time per week, where other Burma bases connected by rail might draw every day. There is a key piece in here that I'm missing.

Stockpile the supplies and Lashio and max out the Supply request. Even move an HQ there to assist. The supplies will build up. Stockpile the supplies at Paoshan so they will not move to lashio. Other bases have their supplies set to a minimum so they will NOT draw the supplies there. Once Lashio has at least 20k in supplies, then release those supplies to Paoshan by:

1. Set the stockpile at Lashio to "No."
2. Maximize the supply request at Paoshan while stockpiling there.
3. Chinese bases (those to the right of the purple arc) connected to Paoshan will set their supply spinners to stockpile so that supplies will not move to Paoshan.
4. Bases to the left of the black arc will initially have their supply draw minimized with no stockpiling of supplies. Once Lashio has enough supplies that you want to release them to Paoshan, these bases will also keep their supply draw minimized yet will stockpile supplies so any supplies that go there will not head to Rangoon.

These four steps should force supplies to go to Paoshan. Then Paoshan can release them into China or have Chinese units there bulk up for the fight in Chungking and/or the mountains. When you do this, then Lashio and Bhamo must maintain the minimal supply request and stockpile any supplies so the Paoshan supplies do not go back into Burma. If you move Burmese base forces with their AAA and the Burmese AAA unit into the mountains of China, these will help to build up the bases, give some AAA support plus allow fighters to base there and be repaired/maintained.

What Lashio is doing, Myitkyina can also do at the same time but the same thing must be done to the bases like Katha and the one going to Ledo. When Lashio releases supplies, Myitkyina can also release them but Bhamo must let those supplies through.

Now, other bases such as Mandalay not directly next to Rangoon on the road can also stockpile supplies for the next pulse once the supplies are at Paoshan but there needs to be a base between them and Rangoon to block the supplies going back. While you are stockpiling there, Lashio must have a minimal supply and stockpile supplies. You do not want the Paoshan supplies to go to Burma, you want to draw supplies from Rangoon, India, and any supplies that amphibious TFs dumped at Ramree Island. If they are dumped at Ramree Island, then Akyab must have minimal supply draw and stockpile supplies so the supplies don't go to India.

I hope that this helps. If not, you can ask your expert logistical opponent for help.

This Paint 3D picture has really taxed my skills with that program.

Attachment (1)

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 41
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/14/2021 6:02:50 PM   
rustysi

Got that, clear as mud, right. But its a bit complex, and RJ has it correct, I think.

quote:

Looks good to me, and far better than I could have done.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 42
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/14/2021 7:32:53 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Got that, clear as mud, right. But its a bit complex, and RJ has it correct, I think.

quote:

Looks good to me, and far better than I could have done.

I have never put that much on a Paint 3D picture.

I have had 20k plus in supplies at Lashio to go to Paoshan. If you can time it right, you can "catch" the timing of the supply pulses as far as the movement of supplies from Lashio to Paoshan where they will move right away, then turn off that flow although not all of the supplies will move but then build up Lashio again.

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 8/14/2021 8:07:05 PM >

― Julia Child

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 43
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/14/2021 9:41:51 PM   
USSAmerica

Good stuff, RJ! Makes sense to me. Now, I just have to put it into practice.

Sounds like Mike is getting closer with his end of Turn 1, so I'm going to try to pick up the pace of my examination of an old Turn 2 and making notes for what I want to do on my limited Turn 1 and on Turn 2. Most of the work seems to be designating land forces for different bases and then getting transport organized for them. Well, that and herding the 10,000 ships that are completely scattered across the map into useful groups at useful bases. The first week of the war really is Cat Herding 101.

Mike

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 44
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/14/2021 11:53:18 PM   
RangerJoe

Okay, now here is a trick for Hong Kong to save at least part of the units. Take your merchant ships there and make an amphibious convoy. Load up troops and then send them to a base down the coast towards Hainan. As soon as one is loaded, send it down the coast. You can split the vessels up based on speed and capacity or just have them move one ship at a time. There is something like a 3 plane Mabel unit on Hainan. If they get part of a unit away, that is a victory for you. Those units can then start marching for India or stay in the mountains, rebuild, then be part of the defense. I would not give the Canadians too many infantry squads as replacements since their production is so low that you may want to save them for buyable units on the West Coast. You can also split up that Chinese air transport unit and move parts of the units that way as well. Think of having an Indian Brigade in the Chinese mountains . . .

Some of those Dutch PCs can covert to other ships, at least one of their AVPs can operate a float plane while under way.

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 8/15/2021 1:36:33 AM >

― Julia Child

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 45
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/15/2021 1:49:48 AM   
RangerJoe

So if you understand what I typed up, then you understand that when those four bases including Mandalay are not letting supplies back into Burma, bases at least one base away from Rangoon can draw and stockpile supplies for the next pulse to Lashio. Doing that I think should get supplies to Lashio faster as long as the supplies are available. Small xAKls dumping supplies at Ramree Island should help. Too many there for too long can draw unwanted attention . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 46
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/15/2021 4:54:22 PM   
BBfanboy

Ok, it's Sunday and a reinforcement convoy has delivered another wench to the Allied pool. This one is a support wench, working in a makeshift tavern back of the front ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 47
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/16/2021 2:14:03 AM   
USSAmerica

We will be happy to have all of the support we can get!

Mike

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 48
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/22/2021 4:47:22 PM   
RangerJoe

How about Pretty in Pink (PnP) plus Bier makes better BOOBS!

Attachment (1)

― Julia Child

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 49
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/23/2021 8:57:21 PM   
USSAmerica

Her bier is large!

Mike

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 50
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/23/2021 8:58:16 PM   
USSAmerica

We should get moving with some game action fairly soon. Mike has said he's close to finished with the Japanese Turn 1.

Mike

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 51
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/23/2021 9:02:17 PM   
btd64

quote:

Her bier is large!

Indeed....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 52
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/24/2021 4:15:47 AM   
rustysi

quote:

Mike has said he's close to finished with the Japanese Turn 1.

Yeah, that turn is a real bitch. I'll never look forward to doing one again.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 53
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/24/2021 4:23:54 AM   
rustysi

Oh, I keep forgetting to mention, I love your new AAR title.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 54
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/24/2021 11:39:45 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

quote:

Her bier is large!

Indeed....GP

How about this thirsty gal?

Attachment (1)

― Julia Child

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 55
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/24/2021 11:45:35 AM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

quote:

Her bier is large!

Indeed....GP

How about this thirsty gal?

Now that is skill 👏 👌 🙌 😎....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 56
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/25/2021 3:56:32 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Great name for the AAR! Now, if only that first turn were finished...

Good luck!

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 57
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/25/2021 8:33:25 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Now, if only that first turn were finished...

Patience 'Grasshopper'.

This is a grueling process for the Japanese player. I doubt any of us look forward to it.

Sets the stage for the whole game.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 58
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/25/2021 11:04:35 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

Now, if only that first turn were finished...

Patience 'Grasshopper'.

This is a grueling process for the Japanese player. I doubt any of us look forward to it.

Sets the stage for the whole game.

It is better to do it right the first time, or at least as right as a person can. Then there are seconds . . .

Attachment (1)

― Julia Child

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 59
RE: A Wench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) v... - 8/26/2021 7:20:30 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Oh, I keep forgetting to mention, I love your new AAR title.

Thanks! All credit to BBfanboy.

Mike

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: A Wrench in the Logistics Machine: Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Mike (A) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI