Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Planes in the Philippines

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Planes in the Philippines Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/24/2021 4:07:19 PM   
Lowpe

If you plan from Dec 8th, you can get American fighters and AA to defend Australia easily enough. Might be more difficult in a tier 3 Ironman game thou.

B17D's are poor fighter substitute...run them into some Zeroes and they are gone with no replacements. B17Es are much better but you sacrifice range for all that great defensive firepower.

You can bounce some of those Warhawks around Singapore/Balikpapen/Miri/Mindanao/China to accomplish some fun things.

The P40B are great high altitude fighters, while the others can do a surprising amount of damage in low naval attacks -- I have even used them to strafe runways.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 31
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/24/2021 4:07:41 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli
What's that saying? The Allied 4E bomber is the best fighter they have.

Sending B-17s on a raid is sending the best sweepers you'll ever have.

Not the initial undergunned B-17Ds though. And probably not "ever" but until 43

Post #: 32
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/25/2021 3:17:46 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

You can't rebuild the 4th Marine Regiment. It comes in as a normal reinforcement, the destroyed one is not able to be bought out.

The trick is to not let it be destroyed in the first place.

I subscribe to the theory of flying out as much of it as possible before time runs out.

I don't see this as gamey because I am not just pulling out a small fragment.

Pulling out a small fragment is little better than just rebuilding the unit as all it really saves is a few PPs and you are left with a very small rump that will take forever and lots of resources to build back up.

By flying out everything that is not too large or heavy to be airlifted, the rebuilding process is quicker and less costly and doesn't feel as gamey.

Hans

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 33
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 8/27/2021 4:32:32 AM   
ggeilman

Well if I am lucky I might salvage 10-12 B-17s out of the Philippines. Sending them down to Sydney for now.

Post #: 34
RE: Planes in the Philippines - 9/10/2021 5:04:20 PM   
Macquarrie1999

I remove every plane I can from the Philippines as soon as the Japanese bombers start to damage the airfields too much. That usually means against the AI that I can fight them in the air fro around two weeks before they bring too many planes against me. Those P-40s are useful to send to Singapore, Rangoon, the DEI, or Australia, all places where you need more fighters than you have available. I have also had a lot of success night bombing airfields as my bombers cant get intercepted and can bomb at low levels. I have killed around 20 Japanese planes on the ground in Malaya with Blenheim IVs out of Singapore.

(in reply to ggeilman)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Planes in the Philippines Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI