Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Morale

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Morale Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Morale - 8/21/2021 12:32:37 AM   
LoneRunner

Japan surrendered in a current MP game. Three LRTs running on cruise from 30 hexes hit Tokyo, Osaka, and Seoul on the same turn. Terribly unrealistic. But that's another subject.

Anyway, upon Japan's surrender, China's morale improved significantly. But that's it. Otherwise, the event went unnoticed worldwide. No boost in morale for USA, UK, or India. No cut in morale for Germany or Italy.

That doesn't seem right. USA and UK would be celebrating Japan's fall in the streets. Impending doom would settle over Germany.

Could you check if morale settings should be adjusted for Japan's surrender?
Post #: 1
RE: Morale - 8/21/2021 3:39:09 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

You left Tokyo, Osaka & Seoul open, what was guarding them?

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 2
RE: Morale - 8/21/2021 3:03:21 PM   
LoneRunner

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElvisJJonesRambo

You left Tokyo, Osaka & Seoul open, what was guarding them?

It was a holiday. Everyone was shopping.

Good lesson. I'll never leave those cities undefended again.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 3
RE: Morale - 8/21/2021 3:13:54 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Like the Dental business: Only brush & floss the ones you wanna keep.

By putting in some scrub Garrison/AA/Corp in those cities (which will entrench), the Yanks won't be able to steal key (with a single unit) cities using Radar O'Reilly, Corporal Klinger, & Hawkeye to Seoul. When the Yanks get serious, sending in Special Forces (Marines which have inherent supply for a few turns), you'll need to become the Port Authority, else Korea can be bye-bye quickly. When if/that happens, the USAAF will demonstrate the Blue Angels for the rest of the game.

Not sure who your opponent is, but it's rare to have any action in the Pacific. Majority of the players have now turned the Pacific into "On Golden Pond", no action.

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 4
RE: Morale - 8/21/2021 4:57:50 PM   
LoneRunner

We have a really cool game going. First, he took out Russia. Then I captured Japan. Italy just surrendered. It's Fall 43 and Germany stands alone against USA, UK, India, and China. And I'm not sure the Allies can win!!

According to the victory conditions, I have to take Berlin and right now in France a massive veteran German army is beating the pants off of the new recruits from the USA. Ike is dead. USA tanks melt like butter. My opponent is a brilliant tactician who takes advantage of any weakness. My only hope is air power and the rains are starting, haha.

Wow, what fun!

< Message edited by LoneRunner -- 8/21/2021 4:58:48 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Morale - 8/21/2021 8:12:38 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Hmmm, that is interesting. You have a few years. But the Germans are gonna have unstoppable units + tech + homefield advantage.

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 6
RE: Morale - 8/27/2021 5:39:40 PM   
LoneRunner

The effects of morale in WaW need review. For example, in my current MP game Japan has surrendered. Italy has surrendered. German cities are being pounded to dust by Allied bombers. But German morale has improved to 113%. While USA morale has fallen to 84% and UK morale has fallen to 77%. As a result, German units crush Allied units in a one on one fight.

The reason for the morale difference is that Germany seems to ignore the demise of Axis members while the Allies take big morale hits for the loss of even minor countries. Japan surrendered. Meh, no effect on German morale. Italy surrendered. Who cares? German morale actually seemed to improve. Cities destroyed. Oh, well.

Perhaps morale settings need to be adjusted.

Post #: 7
RE: Morale - 8/28/2021 2:59:37 PM   
Calaf

Another problem, as I see it, is Experience. This mainly concerns green US units; even if they are at par in Tech Level, they are wiped off the map when confronted by superexperienced German/Japanese units. Yeah, German seasoned veterans were tough on Patton, but here it is plain silly. Same goes for Japanese Carriers. 10 strength panzer armies obliterated in one battle etc. IMO Experience needs to be toned down several steps, or alternatively US units should start with more experience (but this would need a special rule, and that is not preferable...).

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 8
RE: Morale - 8/28/2021 4:54:33 PM   
LoneRunner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Calaf

Another problem, as I see it, is Experience. This mainly concerns green US units; even if they are at par in Tech Level, they are wiped off the map when confronted by superexperienced German/Japanese units. Yeah, German seasoned veterans were tough on Patton, but here it is plain silly. Same goes for Japanese Carriers. 10 strength panzer armies obliterated in one battle etc. IMO Experience needs to be toned down several steps, or alternatively US units should start with more experience (but this would need a special rule, and that is not preferable...).

Good point Calaf, the combination of lack of experience and low morale hamstrings the USA army. The equalizer should be the powerful UK/USA air fleet. However, most of the time UK/USA air units are sitting, doing nothing, waiting for the weather to clear. According to the descriptions of WWII, that is not realistic. Air power was grounded by weather for short periods (a few days), like during the battle of the bulge, but quickly roared back with a vengeance. On the other hand, in WaW, air units are grounded for months.

< Message edited by LoneRunner -- 8/28/2021 4:55:33 PM >

(in reply to Calaf)
Post #: 9
RE: Morale - 8/28/2021 6:18:20 PM   
Duedman

In another thread some1 said that weather should be changed to affect Aircraft on a percentage basis. I think that sounds reasonable

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 10
RE: Morale - 8/29/2021 6:13:32 PM   
Helsingor

I tend to agree that German NM remains too high far into the game. There should be more ways for the Allies to dent it.

(in reply to Duedman)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Morale Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI