Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gamey exploit or good play?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Gamey exploit or good play? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gamey exploit or good play? - 8/23/2021 7:27:44 AM   
MarkShot

So, SET ASSAULT is useful. In fact, it was intended to be thus.

Remember firing generals cost admin points. Moving them and divisions costs nothing.

Now, if you take your 4 top generals and make sure that they end up up in the ASSAULT GROUP. You make sure that they have maxed out out divisions (around 6 div), and maxed out SUs locking in precious stuff like arty. Finally, the that ASSAULT GROUP gets a GROUND SUPPORT AD. I cannot say what percentage, but you have definitely upped your combat efficiency significantly.

In business, I would say, I have just benefited from "economy of scale"; concentration of resources.

Now, why might this be gamey or an exploit? Well, one might imagine such whole sale rearchitecting of an invasion forces in the first 2-4 weeks of of an invasion might not be as administratively and politically feasible as done in the game.

Comments?

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)
Post #: 1
RE: Gamey exploit or good play? - 8/23/2021 11:00:29 AM   
carlkay58

You pretty much just described late war Soviet operational strategies.

They sent generals to the formations but you could just as easily send the HQs instead of just the generals.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 2
RE: Gamey exploit or good play? - 8/24/2021 1:45:55 AM   
GibsonPete

Soviet doctrine was never reinforce failure but success.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 3
RE: Gamey exploit or good play? - 8/24/2021 2:15:12 AM   
PeteJC

Gamey. Go for it if you like. Honestly, to each his own. But you asked and IMHO this would fall under the exploiting game mechanics category.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 4
RE: Gamey exploit or good play? - 8/24/2021 11:36:28 AM   
Searry

I wouldn't call this an exploit at all. It's just one of the natural things you do withing the limits of the game? Personally I thought this is what you were SUPPOSED to do. Why would you switch around generals when you can just change who they command and where they are. Just absurd to me to think of this as an exploit.

What if there was a 1 month limit to changing generals from the beginning of a scenario or 1 month limit of a general having to stay where he is? Completely different to me.

< Message edited by Searry -- 8/24/2021 11:37:23 AM >

WITE2 Beta Tester
Axis Bias mod Fanboy
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5144537

(in reply to PeteJC)
Post #: 5
RE: Gamey exploit or good play? - 8/25/2021 8:41:45 AM   
Yogol

Personally, I reorganise the entire German Army in turn 1 and 2: all units are removed from the 9th, 16th and 17th army and distributed over the assault armies. I use the HQ of those three to create super depots.

I put 4 corps in each army (with only 3 units in non-assault armies, so they can all break down into brigades to create a front): 4th panzer & 18th in the north, 2nd panzer, 3rd panzer & 4th in the centre and 1st panzer, 2nd & 6th in the south. The 2nd is also set to assault.

This leaves me with 7 bad corps HQs (I, VI, XIV,...) without any fighting units in them. I put those HQs in the 17 army with only a single RAD unit attached to them, so I can micro-manage where they will repair each turn.

That way, I only have to replace two bad German corps HQs, the only two bad ones that have fighting units under them.

The Anton group is a mess, with only two good corps in the 11th army (XI and LIV) where I place 4 German units in each and all the SUs. The rest, sorry to say, just isn't up to the task.

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 6
RE: Gamey exploit or good play? - 8/25/2021 2:06:20 PM   
APrusty

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

So, SET ASSAULT is useful. In fact, it was intended to be thus.

Remember firing generals cost admin points. Moving them and divisions costs nothing.

Now, if you take your 4 top generals and make sure that they end up up in the ASSAULT GROUP. You make sure that they have maxed out out divisions (around 6 div), and maxed out SUs locking in precious stuff like arty. Finally, the that ASSAULT GROUP gets a GROUND SUPPORT AD. I cannot say what percentage, but you have definitely upped your combat efficiency significantly.

In business, I would say, I have just benefited from "economy of scale"; concentration of resources.

Now, why might this be gamey or an exploit? Well, one might imagine such whole sale rearchitecting of an invasion forces in the first 2-4 weeks of of an invasion might not be as administratively and politically feasible as done in the game.

Comments?

Would it be more useful to ask the question; Is SET ASSAULT to powerful?

Or maybe; Should it be limits to how fast, one can reorganise ones armystructure-setup?

I would really enjoy these discussions.

Now your question is easy to answer in my eyes. I would even say it's asked by someone who forget what type of game they are playing. And hopefully enjoying. With all due respect.

This is a game built for detail. Wich reward every level of attention to detail and micro-managing/min-maxing in game.

So in my eyes, this game is built for what one might percive as "gamey", maybe it's time for a quote.

"Hard work is a prison sentence only if it does not have meaning. Once it does, it becomes the kind of thing that makes you grab your wife around the waist and dance a jig." - Malcolm Gladwell

< Message edited by APrusty -- 8/25/2021 2:17:45 PM >

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 7
RE: Gamey exploit or good play? - 8/25/2021 2:44:05 PM   
MarkShot

In a way ...

One might view reorging commands and assigning SUs as deployment. (unlike many war games, there is no deployment phase here) So, these two steps are what you can do to prepare for the fight ahead.

Is ASSAULT too powerful? Not for me. I am a noob. But in any case, why should the best officers not get divisions to their command limits? They get more from them. Also, why should they not get the bulk of SUs. Again they will do more.

It just seems common sense. Of course, in real life, we are constrained since an army is a very big team.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to APrusty)
Post #: 8
RE: Gamey exploit or good play? - 8/25/2021 6:53:29 PM   
GibsonPete

I have always been a believer in reinforcing success not failure. Never reward the incompetent or untrained by giving them more responsibility. If they have been unsuccessful at something for forty years promoting they because they claim to be the most experienced is silly.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Gamey exploit or good play? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI