Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

preferences and 1636% tank toughness

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> preferences and 1636% tank toughness Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
preferences and 1636% tank toughness - 9/5/2003 9:54:30 PM   
Major_Johnson

Ok, I've got a weird issue. I've been playing a H2Hfr PBEM the past few weeks. It took us a few scenario's to get us all square with H2H. We had an issue where we started SPWAW-H2H scenario in SPWAW then finished it in SPWAW-H2H, then noticing that the American tank toughness was now at the 1636%. So this last scenario (Steel Shield) we got it right and started the game in H2Hfr. What I did on one of my last turns was play it on my pc at work, which I was unaware had the corrupted tank toughness setting. Then my opponent installed the files in his version of SPWAW-H2H, thus whacking his preference settings. He took his turn sent the files to me, and the next turn I took on my home pc, thus whacking those settings! But he didn't realise it until his next turn when nothing he could do could destroy any of my tanks. So he checked the preference settings and saw that they were out to whack, and called me right away crying "FOUL!!" :) Fortunately, he had a backup of the game files right before I took my turn on my work pc, so all I had to do was adjust my preferences on my home pc and continue the game from the good files that had been restored. Sounds simple enough. Now get this. I launched the game and adjusted my preferences in the main menu. Exited then launched it again and double checked. Then I exited again, copied in the game files and launched the game and started taking my turn. Things were unfolding pretty much the way they had in the previous turns. I knocked off 3 Panzer IV's, then a King Tiger and then another Panzer IV!! At this point I got suspicious and went into my preferences, and they were all normal. So I figured ok, I'm just having a good turn. I finish my turn, the game saves it and exits me out to the main menu again. For the fun of it I clicked on the preferences tab, and unbelievably enough the American toughness was at 1636%!!!

What could possibly cause the preferences to change like that? Now it appears that there are over all preferences and preferences for individual scenarios. If so, does one override the other?? Another question, is the tank toughness setting strictly a defensive setting, or does it also my tanks more powerful offensively?? Now my last and most important question is, since I checked my preferences during my turn and they were normal, can I with a clear consious know that my turn was fair and balanced??? Any input would be appreciated!

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.
Post #: 1
- 9/5/2003 10:47:09 PM   
Voriax

I've encountered this bug maybe 2-3 times. They've happened apparently randomly, at least I couldn't figure out any connection to my previous game, for example. I always deleted the steel.prf after this happened. I think the maximum value is only 250 though, even if the actual number is bigger...last time I encountered this I was testing a German vs Sov scenario. I have to admit I was kinda tough to knock out those T-34's..but they did die. :)

I'd say it's a defensive value as the sovs didn't cause me any greater losses than I'd expected. It may well be that the reason is that scenario toughness setting overrides your normal setting. Why this happens, dunno. But if I encounter it once a year or so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Major_Johnson)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> preferences and 1636% tank toughness Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI