Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/16/2021 3:54:45 PM   
AlbertN

quote:

ORIGINAL: heliodorus04

Seems to me like the same problem of design existed in WitE 1. Hindsight greatly advantages the Soviet side more than the German given the game design. It's easy to say that there is no pro-Soviet bias in design by intent. But wait, WitE(1) had these issues, especially early on after initial release.

Remember that the Soviet "plan" called for annihilating the 1941 Axis Army west of the 1939 Soviet border. Soviet officers had the infamous "Red Packets" that were unseen orders to be opened upon war with German and executed without question. In the first 72 hours of Barbarossa the Soviets in the center and north did exactly what the Germans wanted and planned for.

In 1941, the Red Army could only re-organize by accident of fate (saved either by German inaction or ideal defensive terrain). In the games I still like to play, like Dark Valley, the mechanic favored for its simplicity is to require a certain number of Soviet attacks be conducted regardless of circumstance. I was hoping that WitE 2 and its auto-victory conditions would be simple to adjust and force the Soviet to hold positions that by definition would require the Soviet player to risk its precious army for a place on a map....

Raise your hand if you think simplicity is an essential principle of engineering?

I precisely remember that at the start of WITE1 - and that is what got me to ditch the game after some solo game vs the AI, and not touch with a pole WITW. I had hopes in time WITE2 after WITE1 got balanced and tuned an amount was ... different.

(in reply to heliodorus04)
Post #: 151
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/16/2021 5:25:16 PM   
PeteJC

Apologies if this was addressed in the posting. I have only skimmed through this so maybe I missed it.

Is the issue more of a multi-player issue or is it also an issue if playing as German against the AI. I play Axis against the AI and find it extremely difficult to win. I am fine with that. It should be near impossible for the Axis to win. With that said, I have just started a new game under the updated patch/release (all others were the original version) and I have found it even more difficult. Some very strong Soviet lines as early as turn 5. Did the new patch/update create the excessive Assault Front issue or was it always this way?

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 152
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/16/2021 6:57:09 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: PeteJC

Apologies if this was addressed in the posting. I have only skimmed through this so maybe I missed it.

Is the issue more of a multi-player issue or is it also an issue if playing as German against the AI. I play Axis against the AI and find it extremely difficult to win. I am fine with that. It should be near impossible for the Axis to win. With that said, I have just started a new game under the updated patch/release (all others were the original version) and I have found it even more difficult. Some very strong Soviet lines as early as turn 5. Did the new patch/update create the excessive Assault Front issue or was it always this way?

More of Head-to-Head game discussion.

(in reply to PeteJC)
Post #: 153
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/16/2021 8:29:28 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zemke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

Anyway, back to the topic.

Assault HQ are the problem, fix the number the Soviets get at the start, I think is a good solution and an easy one.

If the designers want a more realistic game, and stop the "Sir Robin" retreat, I think implementing some random method that would slow or stop a certain random percentage of Soviet forces from being able to move at all or very much during the first 2 turns. This would balance the game more by implementing a solution based on history, because many Soviet units did not withdrawn for different reasons, either they never received the order to do so, or were executing pre-war plans to counter attack when they could not get through to higher HQ, or they simply were paralyzed by indecision based on rumors and the unknown and fear of making a mistake.

Read Constantine Pleshokov book, "STALIN'S FOLLY, The Tragic First Ten Days of WW II on the EASTERN FRONT". printed by Houghton Mifflin Co, NYC, NY copyright 2005

And what's your proposal to force the same foolishness on the Axis. Why do you want to force the Soviets to play the way you want, yet let the Axis do what you want?

A more realistic game????

Why do you say "foolishness".

No one is forcing anyone to play any certain way. Only making adjustments that balance the game which are based in history facts.

What changes would you make for the Germans based on historical precedent that would add balance to the game?

Another very easy change would be to the victory locations and / or the points awarded for victory locations. This change could be made with zero impact on other game mechanics.

You don't want a game based on historical facts. You want a game that satisfies wannabe Guderians.

You want something based on historical facts?

1: Neither Leningrad or Moscow fell to the Axis.
2: Riga didn't fall in the first week.
3: It wasn't possible to seal the pockets like you can in the game. At one point, 14,000 were pocketed. 2,000 captured, they let the rest escape.
4: Guderian was removed from command before the end of 1941 and never served in a field command the rest of the war.
5: Directive 33 and 33a stripped Army Group Center of its panzer groups so they can assist the other two groups.
6: New panzer production was held back for new panzer units. Both Hoth and Guderian, when meeting Hitler, begged for the release of new panzers and replacement engines. All they got was 400 engines and 35 new tanks.

Those are all historical facts. So what adjustments are you going to make based on those historical facts?

Now I don't recall asking to change the Axis side. Nor have I seen anyone, especially those who keep wanting to force "historical" play on the Soviets because they can't get the historical loos rate, seek to impose those same loss rates on the Axis. Or force the Axis to only encircle Leningrad/forgo Moscow. Or even better, force them to get to the A-A Line.

Like I said, foolishness.

And if we're going to use books to make a point, well, instead of naming them all, just read any book that covers 1941-45 in the east. No matter how many you read, the outcome is the same. Russia won. History based you know.

I didn't buy a game to recreate history. It's a history based game. You can't say "The Russians are not playing like they did in history", and ignore how unhistorical the Axis play.

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 9/16/2021 8:45:01 PM >

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 154
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/16/2021 8:54:03 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Assault HQ are the problem, fix the number the Soviets get at the start, I think is a good solution and an easy one.

If the designers want a more realistic game, and stop the "Sir Robin" retreat, I think implementing some random method that would slow or stop a certain random percentage of Soviet forces from being able to move at all or very much during the first 2 turns. This would balance the game more by implementing a solution based on history, because many Soviet units did not withdrawn for different reasons, either they never received the order to do so, or were executing pre-war plans to counter attack when they could not get through to higher HQ, or they simply were paralyzed by indecision based on rumors and the unknown and fear of making a mistake.

Read Constantine Pleshokov book, "STALIN'S FOLLY, The Tragic First Ten Days of WW II on the EASTERN FRONT". printed by Houghton Mifflin Co, NYC, NY copyright 2005

And what's your proposal to force the same foolishness on the Axis. Why do you want to force the Soviets to play the way you want, yet let the Axis do what you want?

No one is forcing anyone to play any certain way. Only making adjustments that balance the game which are based in history facts.

What changes would you make for the Germans based on historical precedent that would add balance to the game?

Another very easy change would be to the victory locations and / or the points awarded for victory locations. This change could be made with zero impact on other game mechanics.

You don't want a game based on historical facts. You want a game that satisfies wannabe Guderians.

3: It wasn't possible to seal the pockets like you can in the game. At one point, 14,000 were pocketed. 2,000 captured, they let the rest escape.
4: Guderian was removed from command before the end of 1941 and never served in a field command the rest of the war.
5: Directive 33 and 33a stripped Army Group Center of its panzer groups so they can assist the other two groups.
6: New panzer production was held back for new panzer units. Both Hoth and Guderian, when meeting Hitler, begged for the release of new panzers and replacement engines. All they got was 400 engines and 35 new tanks.

Those are all historical facts. So what adjustments are you going to make based on those historical facts?

Now I don't recall asking to change the Axis side. Nor have I seen anyone, especially those who keep wanting to force "historical" play on the Soviets because they can't get the historical loos rate, seek to impose those same loss rates on the Axis. Or force the Axis to only encircle Leningrad/forgo Moscow. Or even better, force them to get to the A-A Line.

I do believe that the only thing on the table at the minute is Assault HQ's, FOR BOTH SIDES. The unit total should be lowered in the amount of units gaining benefit from Assault HQ's is my recommendation. Don't think the powers to be will change anything else, or at least I hope not.

To that point I think I will give someone a free pass on the first turn. Meaning I won't move a single counter on the map as Germany. No airfield bombing, no auto interception, no movement of Infantry Divisions, No movement of German Armor during the German turn. Soviets get the first turn to do what they want. Think this would be a good game? I think it would be a neat challenge but extremely difficult one for Germany

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 155
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/16/2021 8:56:53 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And if we're going to use books to make a point, well, instead of naming them all, just read any book that covers 1941-45 in the east. No matter how many you read, the outcome is the same. Russia won. History based you know.

I didn't buy a game to recreate history. It's a history based game. You can't say "The Russians are not playing like they did in history", and ignore how unhistorical the Axis play.

Just one further question please. Do you only play the Soviet side of this game? Thank you in advance for your answer.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 156
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/16/2021 8:57:55 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Same for Zemke, Do you only play the German side of this game? Thank you in advance for your answer.

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 157
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/17/2021 3:46:50 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just one further question please. Do you only play the Soviet side of this game? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Just started playing the Axis side.

Assault HQs as they stand could use some adjustment. Certainly they should not be overloaded.

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 9/17/2021 4:00:22 PM >

Post #: 158
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/17/2021 4:37:56 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Assault HQs as they stand could use some adjustment. Certainly they should not be overloaded.

Great! Ya, playing both sides will enhance your understanding tremendously :) Then take that experience and play your favorite side. Good luck to you Sir!

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 159
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/17/2021 4:51:23 PM   
malyhin1517

The most interesting thing is that at the beginning of the war, the 3rd tank group, for example, was operatively subordinate to the commander of the 9th army! And in the game, on the contrary, the 9th army is easier to disband and subordinate all the troops to the 3rd tank group.

Sorry, i use an online translator :(

Post #: 160
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/17/2021 5:09:59 PM   
jubjub

quote:

ORIGINAL: malyhin1517

The most interesting thing is that at the beginning of the war, the 3rd tank group, for example, was operatively subordinate to the commander of the 9th army! And in the game, on the contrary, the 9th army is easier to disband and subordinate all the troops to the 3rd tank group.

It does seem odd that there is no difference between a panzer group and a panzer army besides the name.

(in reply to malyhin1517)
Post #: 161
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/17/2021 5:24:18 PM   
GibsonPete

Returned from a vacation and have just found a few minutes to review the numerous points of view on the topic above. It seems to me HLYA is catching some heat for pointing out some obvious facts (or flaws) concerning the the game we all love and the way some players are using certain game mechanics. He is not, and IMHO has never told anyone how to play. He does draw lines on how he plays. Why that triggers others I do not understand. Assault HQ's is not yet perfected and is only one of several game mechanics that needs to be examined. An examination of the facts not preference is what is needed. HYLA please keep up the good work.

(in reply to malyhin1517)
Post #: 162
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/17/2021 6:14:34 PM   
Zemke

quote:

ORIGINAL: GibsonPete

Returned from a vacation and have just found a few minutes to review the numerous points of view on the topic above. It seems to me HLYA is catching some heat for pointing out some obvious facts (or flaws) concerning the the game we all love and the way some players are using certain game mechanics. He is not, and IMHO has never told anyone how to play. He does draw lines on how he plays. Why that triggers others I do not understand. Assault HQ's is not yet perfected and is only one of several game mechanics that needs to be examined. An examination of the facts not preference is what is needed. HYLA please keep up the good work.

I think the individual who is saying that is more referring to me, and one of my posts. Which I stand by my statement, and I was not telling anyone how to play, only that the game currently is historically inaccurate if players play a certain way, ie, fall back as fast as possible. Anyway....nothing HLYA said, (I don't think).

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to GibsonPete)
Post #: 163
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/17/2021 9:20:08 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: jubjub

quote:

ORIGINAL: malyhin1517

It does seem odd that there is no difference between a panzer group and a panzer army besides the name.

As Panzer groups they were subordinate to the infantry armies. Early in the campaign, Kluge was put in command of the new 4th Panzer Army, which was composed of 2nd and 3rd Panzergruppes. (It didn't last long, but in the game it doesn't matter.)

The Sovs had Strategic Direction commands, later replaced by STAVKA representatives. No real difference in the game.

(in reply to jubjub)
Post #: 164
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/17/2021 9:22:33 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Great! Ya, playing both sides will enhance your understanding tremendously :) Then take that experience and play your favorite side. Good luck to you Sir!

Thx. I'm paying attention to those who say you should play both sides.

Post #: 165
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/21/2021 5:12:18 PM   
Zemke

To Aurelian and your historical points:

If only things were as black and white as you like to portray them.
1: Neither Leningrad or Moscow fell to the Axis. Very true, and that means what exactly? The Germans isolated Leningrad, and the executive decision was made to not take it. In the game, the German player has a very hard time even isolating Leningrad, much less taking it against a human opponent that is reasonably experienced. Granted the Germans never took Moscow, but in the game can the German player launch an offensive in October and get adjacent to Moscow, which would be the historical equivalent. I dare say no, unless the Soviet player is totally incompetent. It other words, the game currently does not mirror historical outcomes.

2: Riga didn't fall in the first week. I found ONE source that said the date of capture for Riga was 1 July 41, which would be T1. Although I consider only one source not enough evidence to dispute your statement. 1st Panzer Div took Ostrov on 4 July. This is 3 hexes south of Pskov! So taking Riga on turn one would not be suprising at all given the historical advance rates.

3: It wasn't possible to seal the pockets like you can in the game. At one point, 14,000 were pocketed. 2,000 captured, they let the rest escape. True, and seldom were perfectly sealed. But your example lacks any historical context. What "pocket" battle are you referring to? I do know that in the Baltic and Belarus areas that around 300,000 Soviets were captured, I guess they did not get out of their pocket.

4: Guderian was removed from command before the end of 1941 and never served in a field command the rest of the war. Yes he was, by that genius military leader Hitler, need I say more. I guess what you are saying is the game should use historical changes of command, hey I would be willing to support that.

5: Directive 33 and 33a stripped Army Group Center of its panzer groups so they can assist the other two groups. True again. Try shifting these Panzer groups around like that in the game, they arrive with high fatigue and low combat CV, so that is why you usually won't see that by players. I understand your point, I am saying the Soviets could not pull back as quickly and as well organized as they do in the game, and if some sort of mechanism was introduced in the game to "force" this, then the Germans should also be forces to live with their own historical moves. I think that the designers decided that both Hitler and Stalin did so many stupid moves and orders that forcing that into the game would be too much and too scripted.

6: New panzer production was held back for new panzer units. Both Hoth and Guderian, when meeting Hitler, begged for the release of new panzers and replacement engines. All they got was 400 engines and 35 new tanks. Well if you played the Germans, in 1941, you are not getting "New Panzers" in any sort of numbers that make up for the loses, I can certainly tell you that. Given the terrible through put of on the Russian rail system, it is no surprise either. You can sent 26 tons in the form of a tank, or 26 tons of fuel. Fuel was needed much more than new tanks.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 166
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/21/2021 5:17:30 PM   
Zemke

To Aurelian and your historical points:

If only things were as black and white as you like to portray them.

1: Neither Leningrad or Moscow fell to the Axis. Very true, and that means what exactly? The Germans isolated Leningrad, and the executive decision was made to not take it. In the game, the German player has a very hard time even isolating Leningrad, much less taking it against a human opponent that is reasonably experienced. Granted the Germans never took Moscow, but in the game can the German player launch an offensive in October and get adjacent to Moscow, which would be the historical equivalent. I dare say no, unless the Soviet player is totally incompetent. It other words, the game currently does not mirror historical outcomes.

2: Riga didn't fall in the first week. I found ONE source that said the date of capture for Riga was 1 July 41, which would be T1. Although I consider only one source not enough evidence to dispute your statement. 1st Panzer Div took Ostrov on 4 July. This is 3 hexes south of Pskov! So taking Riga on turn one would not be surprising at all given the historical advance rates.

3: It wasn't possible to seal the pockets like you can in the game. At one point, 14,000 were pocketed. 2,000 captured, they let the rest escape. True, and seldom if ever were pockets perfectly sealed, even today in with the US Army in 2003 in Iraq. But your example lacks any historical context. What "pocket" battle are you referring to? I do know that in the Baltic and Belarus areas that around 300,000 Soviets were captured, I guess they did not get out of their pockets.

4: Guderian was removed from command before the end of 1941 and never served in a field command the rest of the war. Yes he was, by that military genius Hitler, need I say more. I guess what you are saying is the game should use historical changes of command, hey I would be willing to support that. Given the two sides and the quality of leadership, this would probably hurt the Russians more than the Germans.

5: Directive 33 and 33a stripped Army Group Center of its panzer groups so they can assist the other two groups. True again. Try shifting these Panzer groups around like that in the game, they arrive with high fatigue and low combat CV, so that is why you usually won't see that done by players. I understand your point, I am saying the Soviets could not pull back as quickly and as well organized as they do in the game, and if some sort of mechanism was introduced in the game to "force" this, then the Germans should also be forces to live with their own historical moves. I think that the designers decided that both Hitler and Stalin did so many stupid moves and orders that forcing that into the game would be too much and too scripted.

6: New panzer production was held back for new panzer units. Both Hoth and Guderian, when meeting Hitler, begged for the release of new panzers and replacement engines. All they got was 400 engines and 35 new tanks. Well if you played the Germans, in 1941, you are not getting "New Panzers" in any sort of numbers that make up for the loses, I can certainly tell you that. Given the terrible through put of on the Russian rail system, it is no surprise either. You can sent 26 tons in the form of a tank, or 26 tons of fuel. Fuel was needed much more than new tanks.

In conclusion, the game should have been tested using historical examples. In the game can the Germans isolate Leningrad given the Soviet player is going to cover that area with an Assault HQ, while using historical forces on both sides? Can the Germans launch an Offensive in October from historical start lines and get adjacent to Moscow by Dec 6? Again using the same forces involved. If the answer is no, (which I suspect it is) then something is wrong. Be it Assault HQs, movement rates, fatigue build up, something is not correct. This in turn leads to much earlier Soviet dominance in the game, that did not happen.

What is the answer? I would adjust things till the two above examples could be meet, by whatever means the designers think is appropriate. In the context of the game, this should not be that hard.

< Message edited by Zemke -- 9/21/2021 5:26:58 PM >

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 167
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/21/2021 5:35:32 PM   
MarkShot

I do have to say that the mechanisms required to give a historical outcome by player vs AI (w/o super cheating) and player vs expert player are significantly different.

I think it is unreasonable to think that both goals can be achieved. Perhaps human games need a special set of restrictions that only apply to them.

Furthermore, I never expect to be a hardcore GG play, but let's say casually competent. I think to make the game worth my while, I should have some chance of a win. Maybe not the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, but by the 5th play ... I should.

You know the Fritz chess series engine assumed that players would learn the most and remain engaged if they won 1 out of 4 games. Towards that end after you set set your own initial level, your FIDE score would be calculated every training session and its FIDE rating of play would be adjusted accordingly.

Boy, would that be a brilliant system for a game such as this.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 168
RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) - 9/21/2021 8:09:51 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Thank you all that have contributed to this discussion. Joel has posted the following if you missed it on the future of AHQ's.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5078571&mpage=1&key=�

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 9/21/2021 8:10:10 PM >

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 169
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Assault HQ's(no new games for me until fixed) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI