Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just going through a combat report...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Just going through a combat report... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just going through a combat report... - 9/28/2021 3:00:21 AM   
Kull

So. You are the Allies and it's early 1943. And for those newbies who are still living on a string in 1942....let me tell you. This is just the BEGINNING of the excess you will not so much revel in, as complain about. "What AM I going to do with that next set of Fletchers!?"

But even so, Allied Central War Command has its priorities, and you DO have to abide by them (in a game which deludes you into thinking that, just maybe, you *could* control EVERYTHING, lol). For example. What about your plans to build out those Balloon Units beginning to arrive on the West Coast? At the rate of, maybe, a couple balloons a month.

Here's the true beauty of the game. I imagine the young unit commander (glasses of course, perhaps even the whisper of a stutter), sending off each lonely mission, and then writing long, eventless reports justifying each one. And of course, inevitably, one of the highly trained but ludicrously inexperienced pilots, eventually "pillows one in". And, typewriter clacking, trying to shine a vague-but-oh-so helpful, light upon the event, our young officer realizes that somewhere out there, in the infinity, Planning Central won't be sending him a single replacement for a long, LONG time. (Rest assured, however, they ARE carefully studying the unit leader replacement lists)

Post #: 1
RE: Just going through a combat report... - 9/28/2021 11:14:26 PM   
jdsrae

I disagree with one point Kull, the suggestion that Personnel Division staff even know where to find the unit leader replacement lists!
I find myself regularly thinking “How did this bloke graduate Naval/Military College, let alone end up in command. He must know someone that knows someone.”

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 2
RE: Just going through a combat report... - 9/29/2021 2:17:28 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

I disagree with one point Kull, the suggestion that Personnel Division staff even know where to find the unit leader replacement lists!
I find myself regularly thinking “How did this bloke graduate Naval/Military College, let alone end up in command. He must know someone that knows someone.”

Ass kissing and boot licking, not taking a chance so there are no failures attributed to him, taking credit for other peoples work . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 3
RE: Just going through a combat report... - 9/29/2021 3:46:52 AM   
drum_taps

I have made it to the end of April '43. It does seem like the tap has opened up a bit in terms of reinforcements. The Corsairs and Hellcats are are rolling in and I see from my intelligence screen I have a group of Thunderbolts arriving in a couple weeks. I've been getting sub chasers for the past few months. Those glorified PT boats have been surprisingly strong. Pesky Japanese subs are no longer a problem. My only gripe now is I wish the japanese still had a little more fight in them. I have been playing on historical and I was barely hanging on for the first year of war. I just kicked up the AI to hard and hope I start getting a better fight, but not too much fight.

The Seventh can handle anything it meets. --
George Armstrong Custer

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4
RE: Just going through a combat report... - 9/29/2021 4:43:19 AM   
ggeilman

Sometimes I can't make heads or tails of the combat reports and the ships sunk. One day it shows I sunk a CVL, the next I sink it again. Other times ships that are supposedly sunk disappear from the list.

(in reply to drum_taps)
Post #: 5
RE: Just going through a combat report... - 9/29/2021 1:19:43 PM   
Ian R

If you turn off Fog of War you get the truth. But to quote Commander Spock -

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to ggeilman)
Post #: 6
RE: Just going through a combat report... - 9/29/2021 3:52:40 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ggeilman

Sometimes I can't make heads or tails of the combat reports and the ships sunk. One day it shows I sunk a CVL, the next I sink it again. Other times ships that are supposedly sunk disappear from the list.

This is why you need to watch combat animations and read the combat reports and ops reports. The animation virtually always shows the correct artwork for the vessels involved, so you have ship class verification. After that, which vessel of that class was sunk is a minor point. I find that most often the ship name in the animation is correct and the combat report is the one suffering FOW. The ops report can provide verification of a vessel sinking at the end of the report where the opposition admits the loss, sometimes months after the battle.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to ggeilman)
Post #: 7
RE: Just going through a combat report... - 9/29/2021 5:49:44 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ggeilman

This is why you need to watch combat animations and read the combat reports and ops reports. The animation virtually always shows the correct artwork for the vessels involved, so you have ship class verification. After that, which vessel of that class was sunk is a minor point. I find that most often the ship name in the animation is correct and the combat report is the one suffering FOW. The ops report can provide verification of a vessel sinking at the end of the report where the opposition admits the loss, sometimes months after the battle.

Absolutely. I go as far as having a spreadsheet with all the enemy capital ships (down to CL). I delete them as I know they sink and have a notes section for each identifying last sighting location & date and any known damage with location and date.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Just going through a combat report... - 10/1/2021 4:18:29 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Absolutely. I go as far as having a spreadsheet with all the enemy capital ships (down to CL). I delete them as I know they sink and have a notes section for each identifying last sighting location & date and any known damage with location and date.

(\Claude Rains mode) “I'm shocked, shocked, to find that Mike Solli would have a spreadsheet for this!"(/Claude Rains mode)

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 9
RE: Just going through a combat report... - 10/1/2021 6:13:59 AM   
ggeilman

A spreadsheet sounds like a great idea if I had any idea of what the Japanese have, lol! All I know the sunk ship report shows them down 1 BB, 3 CL, 1 CVL and 7 SS so far! Post Dec 7, I have lost 1 CL and 1 sub myself though 2/2/42.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 10
RE: Just going through a combat report... - 10/1/2021 5:50:47 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

(\Claude Rains mode) “I'm shocked, shocked, to find that Mike Solli would have a spreadsheet for this!"(/Claude Rains mode)

Exactly my first thought, Kull!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Just going through a combat report... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI