Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Is There A Future For TOAW?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Is There A Future For TOAW? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is There A Future For TOAW? - 10/31/2021 12:54:06 AM   
gamer78

The point is clear sir. May I ask any chance we will be able to see wargames not restricted to the WW'2 ERA or mainly not going about usual market people would like? Any companies in the radar like AGEOD did in the past as an example..

< Message edited by gamer78 -- 10/31/2021 12:55:03 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 31
RE: Is There A Future For TOAW? - 10/31/2021 1:15:51 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bamilus
It's basically a digital board-game. Just move onto board games. Losing the editor sucks, though, I agree.

Not interested--at all--in moving into board games. Besides losing the editor, which is critical for me, you lose the AI such as it is, FoW, etc. Never going back to board games.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 32
RE: Is There A Future For TOAW? - 10/31/2021 1:47:33 AM   
Lobster

But it does cover more than WW2. What makes you think it doesn't?

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 33
RE: Is There A Future For TOAW? - 10/31/2021 3:18:49 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Digital wargames have a sophistication in unit construction and combat resolution that no board wargame can possibly approach. To even attempt a fraction of what the computer can do, board wargames would burden their players with such bookkeeping and calculation tasks as to make them unplayable.

Digital wargames have left board wargames in the dust long ago. I have shelves of board wargames in my home. But they only come off those shelves when I need to use them as info resources for a digital wargame design.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 34
RE: Is There A Future For TOAW? - 10/31/2021 8:41:37 PM   
gamer78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

But it does cover more than WW2. What makes you think it doesn't?

I can be wrong about community overall past experience about TOAW or about which scenario is more popular. Lately I've played CW scenarios and a Napoleonic one. But I think WW'2 ones like in Directive'21 or Fire in the East is older scenarious and maybe be the most ambitious ones. Could be a bit more popular, or very popular. What I mean was in 2021 WW'2 still popular.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 35
RE: Is There A Future For TOAW? - 11/1/2021 2:51:56 AM   
Rosseau

After a long hiatus, fired up TOAW IV and the latest Eastern Front 1941-1945.v6 scenario. Yes, WitE2 is glorious and all, but this scenario snapped off like clockwork. So for me, there is certainly a future for TOAW IV in the years I have left.

For wargamers who, for some odd reason, don't yet have the game, it comes highly recommended. Especially for those who like a bit of old-school, board game feel, this one will remain a classic for many years, imho. Our friend Curtis LeMay hits the nail right on the head, with his comments above.

Not to mention the hundreds of custom scenarios available for the game. I don't think Matrix has another title with so many awesome works by fans of the game. I downloaded all mine years ago, but if you are new, someone will certainly post a link here for you to get started.

Best wishes to all.

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 36
RE: Is There A Future For TOAW? - 11/2/2021 8:53:45 PM   
gamer78

I think TOAW has some vibes of nationalist feel from the older generation also. What do you think about new designers about Vic's Advanced Tactic as maybe a new TOAW? Main programmer is still here.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 37
RE: Is There A Future For TOAW? - 11/2/2021 10:11:09 PM   
demyansk

Guys, is war in the east 2 a big improvement over the first version?

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 38
RE: Is There A Future For TOAW? - 11/2/2021 10:14:42 PM   
sPzAbt653

Generally - The Advanced Tactics Series is not an historical simulation, it is a random battle generator, but has a 'full' editor so that specific campaigns can be designed, but uses generic units [ie Flak I, Flak II].

Can anyone secure the V4V Series so that we can start working with it?

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Is There A Future For TOAW? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI