Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Why does stuff die so quickly in modern warfare?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Why does stuff die so quickly in modern warfare? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Why does stuff die so quickly in modern warfare? - 10/28/2021 1:19:05 AM   
Rosseau

Matrix forum posters are not "ridiculous" was my meaning. In the old days, I could trust the Associated Press. But no more.

Amazing, the countries you mentioned have been with us since ancient times. I often forget how "new" the U.S. is as a nation.

Best wishes to all!

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 31
RE: Why does stuff die so quickly in modern warfare? - 10/29/2021 7:59:28 PM   
gamer78

I think better wording would be 'very political' or for the better 'citizens of U.S don't care'. What you call "ridiculous" is real I can say.
History has trends about who will pick a role from the past, even in domestic politics it is the same thing. I can write much about it. Actors and societies can change. Spanish inquisition wasn't much better than radicals todays I was saying ıf you've read my examples about Egypt and Iran. Or the deployment of US forces in Greece. It is real not twitter.

< Message edited by gamer78 -- 10/29/2021 8:10:30 PM >

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 32
RE: Why does stuff die so quickly in modern warfare? - 11/2/2021 8:39:12 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldSarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Thanks sarge.

I was 16 in 1970.
My father was Command Secretary of British Army Of the Rhine. In Germany.(= Major General)

He said, if the Russians attack on a Wednesday afternoon or a Saturday it’s all over. They were sports days and nobody could get hold of anyone.
Also, for the British sector, any attack in winter if there was more than an inch of snow could not be stopped.

:)

Sounds like you had your own ringside seat to the period. The U.S. Army had similar issues from the late 70s until the early '80s, there was a period of budget shortages that affected everything from spare parts to training.

Things began to change around 1982, new zero tolerance rules for substance abuse and disciplinary problems were established and expected to be strictly enforced, along with an infusion of new equipment and adequate fund appropriations. It made all of the difference.

It wasn't until much later that I found out about Able Archer

cheers

Just think if your battle position was 50 metres from East Germany at that time period . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 33
RE: Why does stuff die so quickly in modern warfare? - 11/2/2021 9:04:26 PM   
gamer78

Kars is a border region and still in Russian claims. I think this Cold War somehow overrated and used as inside propaganda inside US borders too much. Where the real nuclear danger was outside US.

For history : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 34
RE: Why does stuff die so quickly in modern warfare? - 11/2/2021 10:59:00 PM   
OldSarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

Thanks sarge.

I was 16 in 1970.
My father was Command Secretary of British Army Of the Rhine. In Germany.(= Major General)

He said, if the Russians attack on a Wednesday afternoon or a Saturday it’s all over. They were sports days and nobody could get hold of anyone.
Also, for the British sector, any attack in winter if there was more than an inch of snow could not be stopped.

Sounds like you had your own ringside seat to the period. The U.S. Army had similar issues from the late 70s until the early '80s, there was a period of budget shortages that affected everything from spare parts to training.

Things began to change around 1982, new zero tolerance rules for substance abuse and disciplinary problems were established and expected to be strictly enforced, along with an infusion of new equipment and adequate fund appropriations. It made all of the difference.

cheers

Just think if your battle position was 50 metres from East Germany at that time period . . .

STRAC was an Army term thrown around quite a bit during that period. For officers and the senior NCOs. it mean 'Strong, Tough, Ready Around the Clock'. For the junior NCOs and other enlisted it was translated, as usually happens with such acronyms, into 'Sh!t, The Russians Are Coming!'.

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 35
RE: Why does stuff die so quickly in modern warfare? - 11/3/2021 2:39:19 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

Thanks sarge.

I was 16 in 1970.

cheers

STRAC was an Army term thrown around quite a bit during that period. For officers and the senior NCOs. it mean 'Strong, Tough, Ready Around the Clock'. For the junior NCOs and other enlisted it was translated, as usually happens with such acronyms, into 'Sh!t, The Russians Are Coming!'.

Or kiss the rabbit between the ears . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 36
RE: Why does stuff die so quickly in modern warfare? - 11/3/2021 6:38:50 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Although I want to like modern warfare gaming. Your point is a reason its not so enjoyable.

I agree.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 37
RE: Why does stuff die so quickly in modern warfare? - 11/4/2021 9:13:16 PM   
Kuokkanen

I have an idea for you: get The Operational Art of War if you don't have it by now. Most of the games in the series have equipment and scenarios from the past 220 years, from Napoleon to... Don't know what the latest scenarios are. In any case the games each should provide you a ton of equipment to play with, from muskets to ICBM and everything between. Therefore with ONE game you should be able to experiment with modern equipment, and should you not like it, still have a ton of mileage with World War stuff and older.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 38
RE: Why does stuff die so quickly in modern warfare? - 11/4/2021 10:27:57 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

Funnily enough, in Italian dialect it means "Tired to death".

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Why does stuff die so quickly in modern warfare? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI