Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> After Action Reports >> RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 12/28/2021 3:01:41 AM   
tcart

Merry Christmas everyone.

Germany Winter 44

With the Winter defensive bonus a counterattack didn't make sense. I'm tempted to do what the Germans did last time and retreat into Rumania. But I think I'll play it safe. For now, anyway.

Those attrition losses last turn were nasty. Germany will never fully replace them.

However she can still maintain air superiority somewhere, and she can run out the clock, given the Japanese juggernaut.

Without a mass counterattack the turn is rather dull. I shored up my Italian defenses and evacuated the Afrika Korps air force. Best I could do.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 91
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 12/28/2021 10:54:33 AM   
rjh1971

Wi44 Japan

The loss of Romania plus the bombing of factories and Bulgaria resource prevented the Axis from achieving a total victory this turn. Add to this that despite 79% chance of taking Sothern India the attack fail. It seems it was jinx, it all started well bombing the rail tracks, but then the second wave of bombers got hit and had to return to base. Add to that that it was winter and a bit of luck with the roll of the dice and the attack did not succeed. So one point short of forcing the Allies to surrender, one resource was repair as well as the Changsha factory.

Quite the opposite took place in Chungking, with only 56% chance of succeeding the Japanese army achieved an astounding victory.

The IJN sunk the remaining combat British fleet in the Red Sea, only some transport fleet were left and will most probably will withdraw to meet the new TF that is circumnavigating Africa. They outnumber Japanese naval forces two to one, so CVs from PH will urgently have to be called as well as more fighter cover.

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to tcart)
Post #: 92
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 12/28/2021 12:46:01 PM   
kondor

W44, SU turn.
Limited attack on the panzers in Rumania, and a failed attack on the German Baltic fleet with the HB.
Building up supplies for the upcoming spring offensive.
I hope to be in Berlin next Xmass.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 93
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 12/28/2021 12:52:19 PM   
kondor

When will the east of the SU (VLadivostok) unfreeze - if the IJ chooses not to attack me?

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 94
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 12/28/2021 5:32:53 PM   
rjh1971

The Soviet Union is automatically at war with Japan starting the turn after Germany surrenders. If an action causes the Soviet Union to be at war with Japan, the Central and Eastern zones are immediately Unfrozen.

If at the end of a Japanese Player turn Manchuria contains less than three Japanese Infantry/Militia/Armor units, the Soviet Eastern Zone is immediately Unfrozen.

Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 95
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 12/28/2021 5:52:20 PM   
kondor

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjh1971

The Soviet Union is automatically at war with Japan starting the turn after Germany surrenders. If an action causes the Soviet Union to be at war with Japan, the Central and Eastern zones are immediately Unfrozen.

If at the end of a Japanese Player turn Manchuria contains less than three Japanese Infantry/Militia/Armor units, the Soviet Eastern Zone is immediately Unfrozen.

Thx

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 96
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 12/28/2021 10:02:02 PM   
tcart

Germany Spring 44

In hindsight, the Germans should have defended Rumania to get a shot at an AV. I didn't realize Rafael was so close.

Moves are made to give us one more shot at it, though I suspect we've hit our high water mark. The Germans start to think about revisiting the Battle of Britain. I wish I could punish the RN in the Med more, but the Greek landing is cut off for now. I doubt it will last.

Mainly the German plan continues to be to stall and force the Allies to move cautiously, so I can survive into 1945. That should allow Japan to hold on. Who knows. Maybe my upgraded Panzers will give me a shot at a devastating counterattack in E. Poland.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 97
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 12/30/2021 6:22:15 PM   
rjh1971

Sp 44 Japan

In Wi44 the WA achieved their first naval victory. Their four CVs sailed within reach of the Japanese Task Force and launched their CAGs causing havoc in the Japanese flattops, one sunk one damaged. Though they suffered heavy CAGs losses.

Japanese counter attack on the US carriers ended in defeat. Bad luck with the roll of the die (1) and the Jap CAG got damaged, that gave a +1 to the US CV's evasion mod.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjh1971 -- 12/30/2021 6:26:02 PM >

(in reply to tcart)
Post #: 98
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 12/30/2021 6:39:05 PM   
rjh1971

The US task force was left with two CAGs that were taken care of by fighters from Ceylon. Japanese Sub attacked a TF with its hold with 2 supplies. Japanese fleet were deployed to try to prevent US CVs from withdrawing though they will most probably will break the blockade as Goran was smart enough to leave three supplies in the same area as the CVs. More Light Fleet units are around the corner and will probably make to the fray.

India was finally conquered and a US sub sunk. Victory seems to be slipping through our fingers as more resource and factory centers are being damaged in Europe.

In China Sinkiang factory was torn to rubbles and in the Pacific a US TF was damaged south of Mexico

This is the situation at the end of the turn.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 99
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 12/30/2021 7:32:32 PM   
kondor

SP 44 SU
Huraaa for the WA victory over Kaga and Akagi, comrade Stalin sends his regards to Eisenhower.

On the eastern front, Germans have retreated to Rumania. WA landed in Greece, and the red army burned its supplies in repositioning in E. Poland.
I can't even move my tank units from Moscow or Gorki.

Factory in Hungary was bombed this turn, while the Luftwaffe is busy on the west front.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 100
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 12/30/2021 7:34:36 PM   
kondor

IJ has started massing troops in Manchuria, and we know where this is heading.
I don't expect them to go anywhere, as the valiant RA units have started reinforcing the Vladivostok/Irkutsk area for a few turns now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 101
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/8/2022 1:18:44 AM   
tcart

Germany Summer 44

The East Front was a mess and remains a mess. Like an idiot I forgot to leave a TAC unit out East to get the combined arms bonus. Without it a mass counterattack was a bad idea. So instead I keep retreating and hope that a big battle in Rumania will go my way.

The turn was not without victories. The Afrika Korps is rescued, while a redux of the Battle of Britain shows the strength of jet technology. The allied air forces were clobbered, hopefully preventing D-day.

More losses were inflicted in the Med. It's a bit of a sideshow, but it's costing the RN a lot of losses trying to sail past the Luftwaffe.

I wonder if I can build enough artillery to stall the Russians.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tcart -- 1/8/2022 1:22:06 AM >

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 102
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/8/2022 11:52:00 AM   
rjh1971

Su44 Japan

As expected the Allied navy retreated to the other side of Africa but were smart enough to garrison Madagascar with an artillery. It would have made an excellent base for Japan

Japan is no so overextended that it just doesn't have enough supplies and transport fleet to carry out all the operations.

Northern India was taken, Lanchow factory was busted, while factory in Eastern India was repaired and some resources in Australia. Two transport fleet were sunk, while Chagos Arch was invaded to provide air support to the IJN CVs.

(in reply to tcart)
Post #: 103
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/8/2022 1:01:00 PM   
kondor

SU '44, Soviet turn.
If the Germans will not attack me, I'll attack them.

Major clash in Rumania, despite unfavorable terrain I was given better than 1:1 odd, so I took it.
Results were appropriate, and both sides were equally downsized.
This suits me perfectly, and the Germans are stretched to the breaking point.

I was lucky enough to damage that Stuka tac bomber, so if Tim decides to attack next turn - it will again have to be without combined arms.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 104
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/8/2022 1:04:48 PM   
kondor

In this turn, I've raided E. Prussia, Hungary, and W. Poland. Damaging GE factory output significantly.
Germany will not be a problem soon, and increased transfer of troops to the soon-to-be Vladivostok front is continued.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 105
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/10/2022 6:18:16 PM   
rjh1971

Fa 44 Japan

Germany refuses to go down without a good fight, they concentrated most of its wrath against the WA which paid a high toll in their navy and air assets, those pesky daring soviet armour approaching Berlin were taken care of.

As for Japan, they decided that controlling access to the Indian Ocean from the Red Sea was a must and before any WA allied could reinforce the horn of Africa they might as well take hold of the area to invest in tourism...

Meanwhile the Soviets keep concentrating more troops in Siberia, hopefully this will ease the pressure on our German allies. The Soviets by no means must be the first to strike in Manchuria, that could be devastating for Japan...

Problem with Japan now is that her Empire is so big we have trouble covering all the fronts...
A US fleet has been detected entering the Pacific Ocean, PH base has been reinforced
More resources were repaired but automatic victory is definitely out of reach...
Wonder if they US Task Force will remain close to Gibraltar and risk an attack from the LW.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 106
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/10/2022 7:33:41 PM   
kondor

SU turn, FA '44.
No combat this turn. Germans decided to evacuate Rumania, my troops entered the capital without any hostilities.
Maybe Hitler will do the same in Berlin?

Rebuilding of the motherland and rebuilding supplies needed for the upcoming offensive is in full effect. But it will take some time to move the troops, ammo, and fuel to the frontline again.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 107
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/10/2022 7:36:52 PM   
kondor

You may notice a complete absence of the SU airforce on the EU front. It's because my FT-s are 6-6, and GE has 8-9? I could not allow myself to upgrade the airforce with the production I had (low 30-is at max production), and no land lease from the allies. So I was forced to make some hard choices.
Lack of airforce investment is one of them.

Fortunately, the bulk of the Luftwaffe was busy on the western front true the entire war.

< Message edited by kondor -- 1/10/2022 7:39:28 PM >

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 108
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/13/2022 12:45:16 PM   
kondor

SU winter '45.
No hostilities during the winter turn. R&R everywhere.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 109
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/13/2022 1:13:12 PM   
rjh1971

quote:

ORIGINAL: kondor

SU winter '45.
No hostilities during the winter turn. R&R everywhere.

I sent the turn and did not post its report, Japan's turn is previous to Speedy Dalibor

Winter 45 Japan

First sortie from the horn of Africa into the Eastern Mediterranean rendered a transport fleet sunk.

Japan decided to start clearing the remains of the Chinese army and took Paotow. Australia is now fully Japanese.

More factories were repaired this turn. Fighters were sent to Manchuria.

Nothing much to report, as long as Germany is alive Japan is secure!

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 110
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/14/2022 8:06:10 PM   
rjh1971

Sp45 Japan

After loosing a heavy bomber and a fighter unit in Africa, Japan decided to send its CVs to attack the US fleet in Cairo, despite being outnumbered. Intelligence reported the US fleet was unsupplied and odds were favorable 3 to 5, but two automatic US hits ended up spoiling the attack.

A Japanese sub was sunk in South Africa (scuttled would be more accurate) when after being damaged found itself too far away from any friendly port.

In China Lanchow was occupied.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 111
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/15/2022 11:47:13 AM   
kondor

SP '45.
With the warmer weather settling in, Stalin ordered the further advance of the armies.
As the Germans have evacuated Yugoslavia, there was no fighting this turn.

Advancing into W. Poland would be a mistake, as then two german armies could intercept and inflict heavy casualties.
We don't want that, at least not before my armies are in one big ball. So, I've decided to move in into Yugoslavia, and Hungary.
This way we can threaten N. Italy, Austria, and Czechoslovakia.

Now the German has to choose what will they defend, and move troops accordingly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 112
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/17/2022 2:50:09 AM   
tcart

Sorry guys, no screenshots. The situation hasn't changed much.

Kondor is right that Germany must choose what to defend. Italy has to go, and France is now very weak. But we're aiming to make it to 1946, not hold on to the empire. As a benefit, I can concentrate a strong force in Czecho. I wonder if it will be enough for one last big land victory.

All Germany really wants to do is remain impossible to take. Every turn buys Rafael time. So I don't need to counterattack, it'd just be fun.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 113
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/17/2022 7:56:04 AM   
rjh1971

Su45 Japan

Japan occupies the whole of India, launches an attack on Chinese resources and shuffles its troops to reinforce Manchuria.

Production of fighters and CAGs has been given priority. The expense in research and development has also been boosted.

(in reply to tcart)
Post #: 114
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/17/2022 1:45:53 PM   
kondor

SU 45, SU turn.

On the bright side, we have captured Austria and N. Italy, on the other end Germans outclass me in research (arty at 10) and now in numbers too.
Rough Austrian terrain will prove some shelter, but it seems that major loss is imminent.
Time is a luxury, so I can't wait for the reinforcement.

I'm inviting allies to the beautiful beaches of Normandy, I hear that D-day is a beautiful thing?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kondor -- 1/17/2022 1:48:08 PM >

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 115
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/17/2022 9:18:41 PM   
tcart

Germany Fall 1945

Germany launches a second battle of the Bulge, seriously damaging the Red Army. My investment in ART plays off. If only I'd positioned more tanks to be a part of the strike I could have gotten combined arms and really wreaked havoc. But I couldn't risk Russian armor dashing into E.Germany.

Germany now has a decisive numerical and qualitative advantage in ART. Plus I only need to defend two regions. That should be sufficient for me to run out the clock. I don't think a renewed Soviet assault will have enough strength. And if Stalin leaves everybody nearby he risks a second attack with even more favorable odds.

I made a mistake in lowballing the number of supplies I could have used, even though I had about a hundred. The lesson is you never have enough.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 116
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/17/2022 9:20:01 PM   
tcart

Note Germany's short frontier and strong (relatively) defensive positions.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tcart)
Post #: 117
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/18/2022 8:19:50 AM   
rjh1971

Fa45 Japan.

Looks like Germany is proving to be a nut to tough to crack.

Japan had little to do this turn other than continue to reinforce Manchuria in case hostilities break out.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tcart)
Post #: 118
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/18/2022 10:37:28 AM   
kondor

Fall '45.
After barely managing to hold Austria, buttered SU troops pondered the idea of retreat.
But as the next turn is winter, and '45 is coming to an end, there is no point. Instead, I brought everything I could to the front.
Winter could save me for one turn, and that may be all that the allies need.

What does the manual say, which date is the major axis win?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 119
RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 - 1/18/2022 6:54:04 PM   
tcart

Germany Winter 46

I think the WA would have been better served by moving all of it's troops into Belgium. That way the Germans would have been squeezed. Sure, I could counterattack somewhere. But whomever was left alone could then force the issue.

Germany's real weakness is supply. I made a major mistake a few turns ago by not stockpiling more.

So Germany's counterattack into Austria this turn, while effective, could have been devastating if I'd had another 15 or so supply. Alas.

As it is, the Russians are worn down and now probably lack the artillery to effectively hit back next turn. I guess we'll see. Germany is not in an ideal position, because she must defend Czechoslovakia and W. Germany.

I think the game goes until Fall 46.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> After Action Reports >> RE: 4 Player AAR with new PBEM - Game 3 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI