Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Matrix Forum

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> New Matrix Forum Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 12:25:40 PM   
IainMcNeil

Hi all,

we have been talking for a long time about it but we finally have something ready for you to test. The new Matrix Forum is available at:
https://forum.matrixgames.com/index.php

At the moment you can login and view posts but in order to keep the old and the new forum synchronised you cannot post in the new forum. Please post your feedback in this thread to let us know what you like, don't like, any bugs or suggest improvements.

Remember you cannot post in the new forum, only here. That is not a bug! :)

The new forum synchs every 5 mins or so, so you will notice a delay between messages posted to the old forum appearing in the new forum. This also is not a bug.

As it is built on completely new tech there are going to be things that behave differently so keep an open mind. We have tried to make it as as familiar as possible to existing users but you may have to change how you do certain things but the overall experience should be greatly improved and it is based on currently supported technology that will be regularly upgraded. The old system has to go so its just a matter of which new system replaces it!

Please give it a try if you get a chance and let us know your thoughts, we really appreciate any feedback!

The Matrix Games Team

< Message edited by IainMcNeil -- 12/13/2021 12:27:28 PM >

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Post #: 1
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 12:48:52 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Looks good, what new features does it have? Its great that the forum gets an update.
Personally I would love to see copy/paste image insert, bigger pm storage, tagging of other users and a better search function.

My pms haven't synchronized yet.

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 12/13/2021 12:49:52 PM >

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 2
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 1:02:54 PM   
RangerJoe

Are you combining the Slitherine and Matrix games? If so, that is not a bad idea.

I see a lot of black space on both sides of the page which is not necessarily a bad thing on the index but when I go to an AAR the black space is still there and it can make the text in the pictures unreadable. I am sure that if people cropped their pictures that would make the text larger but until that is done as well as looking at older threads, that can be a problem. Also, the post numbers are not showing for the individual posts which makes it harder to refer to a specific post.

Here is an AAR thread from WITP:AE:

https://forum.matrixgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=9585&t=364459

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 3
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 1:05:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
Are you combining the Slitherine and Matrix games? If so, that is not a bad idea.

No, but they'll be running on the same software/server now.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 1:10:50 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

No, but they'll be running on the same software/server now.

Regards,

- Erik

Thank you. It is easier to keep track of things instead of going to a different website.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 1:22:56 PM   
IainMcNeil

Now both sites are running on the same software and server merging them is an option though its not something we plan to do, as each site has its own community and character. We will work to avoid duplication of forums though - a game will either be on Slitherine or Matrix but not both and the lead will be the community that best fits the game, so the more mainstream or branded strategy games on Slitherine and deeper more hard core games on Matrix.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 6
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 1:24:54 PM   
Nomad

I had to sign in with my combined user name.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 1:28:44 PM   
HansBolter

Looks absolutely horrible.

And by the way.....AE doesn't in any easy shape or form qualify as a New Release.

Hans

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 8
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 1:33:31 PM   
IainMcNeil

Just to be clear feedback is welcome but you need to be constructive. If you don't like it you have to be specific about what you don't like. Unconstructive feedback will be ignored and deleted.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 9
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 1:46:15 PM   
Para87

Is there an option for changing the searing white background back to the light grey as it is here?

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 10
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 1:49:59 PM   
mainsworthy

i have bad eyes, the new forum font looks small and hard to read, a setting to enlarge would be good, i dont know if there is one from looking. i hope the feedback is welcome, if it has matrix games on it its great!

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 11
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 1:52:56 PM   
pzgndr

"Search this forum..." +1, nice improvement.

A user preference for wide-screen display would be nice.

(in reply to Para87)
Post #: 12
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 1:56:09 PM   
Nomad

The search function seems to work much, much better.

I hope there are user profile options available later. These should allow us to specify viewing width and such.

As stated above I could not sign in as Nomad, I had to sign in as nomad_slith. I do not know if that can be fixed later.

(in reply to Para87)
Post #: 13
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 2:11:29 PM   
Panjack

On the one hand, the more narrow width of the forum (on non-mobile devices) makes individual postings easier to read. On the other hand, because the forum is narrower, readers will have to scroll down more to read posts. I'm split on which is better.

I like that more space appears between lines of text (that is, greater "leading"). This definitely makes it easier to read postings.

Suggestion: reduce the space between lines in quoted text to reduce the space it takes within a posting. The narrower margins + more space between text --> postings become longer and too little appears on the screen.

Suggestion: Add a "reply" option to individual postings. In the new forum, you can refer to a posting only by "quoting" it. This will produce too much quoting of postings, which will make postings unnecessarily long. (Yes, someone undoubtedly can cut out the quoted part, but this is a step that shouldn't have to be taken.)

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 14
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 3:10:03 PM   
z1812

I would prefer the "window" to be larger and fill the screen the way the existing site does. The smallness, with the black fill on the sides, makes it feel quite cold. Not a look that invites "lounging".

Since you are changing the site, why not increase the size of the default forum text. Many people with less than perfect eyesight would appreciate that.

I just looked at the proposed new design again. It does not feel inviting.

(in reply to Panjack)
Post #: 15
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 3:15:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

Have you all tried using Control-Scroll Wheel to zoom in on the new forum? It's currently using a layout that's friendly to mobile devices. I'll see if we can do something to also have an alternate layout for desktop PCs that's more like our current one, but right now you can make it larger and fit the screen fully by zooming in a bit.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 16
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 3:28:25 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: IainMcNeil

Just to be clear feedback is welcome but you need to be constructive. If you don't like it you have to be specific about what you don't like. Unconstructive feedback will be ignored and deleted.

What was unspecified about 'looks horrible'?

Your response to criticism is exactly the kind of corporate effort to stifle criticism that is making interaction with your company a real pain.

This has been an ongoing trend on this site since Matrix sold out to Slitherine.

Hans

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 17
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 3:35:57 PM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Have you all tried using Control-Scroll Wheel to zoom in on the new forum? It's currently using a layout that's friendly to mobile devices. I'll see if we can do something to also have an alternate layout for desktop PCs that's more like our current one, but right now you can make it larger and fit the screen fully by zooming in a bit.

The Control-Scroll wheel does a good job of zooming in. Also it seems the forum remembers your zoom in amount. I would like some way of changing the background colors, but it is not a deal breaker. The layout is working fine and the much enhanced search is fantastic.

Like all updates to any software, it will probably take a bit to get used to the new and understand how things work.

< Message edited by Nomad -- 12/13/2021 4:14:52 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 18
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 3:49:45 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

Your response to criticism is exactly the kind of corporate effort to stifle criticism that is making interaction with your company a real pain.

This has been an ongoing trend on this site since Matrix sold out to Slitherine.

Please be specific so they can change it such as the post about too much black space and increasing the text size.

― Julia Child

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 19
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 4:17:53 PM   
Rebel Yell

The search is good.

I'm with Hans on the appearance. It's washed out and there's no reason at all for it not to be sized across the page like here and every other forum I've ever frequented.

You should never have to Ctrl+scroll, but it doesn't solve the problem anyway, just makes it look like it was written on a deflated balloon, then blown up.

Looking forward to 21st century functionality, but it needs an aesthetic makeover.

I used to enjoy these forums. So many people that need the green dot now.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 20
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 4:34:24 PM   
Aurelian

I just think that the New Releases section should be in alphabetical order.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 21
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 4:36:38 PM   
Mobeer

1) The black bars down both sides of the page waste a lot of space, especially as the browser window becomes wider.

2) Subscriptions are not listed:
https://forum.matrixgames.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_main&mode=subscribed
Yet I do have subscribed threads that are correctly marked as such when I navgate to them. Is this page only showing subscribed forums?

3) Links to other forums point to the old forums. For example open:
https://forum.matrixgames.com/viewforum.php?f=8757
then select "War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition Forum" link

4) At the bottom of pages like:
https://forum.matrixgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=8759&t=90865
There is text: "Users browsing this forum: Mobeer and 0 guests"
Except my username appears in white on a white background

Same on: https://forum.matrixgames.com/index.php
Statistics gives the latest member using White text on white background

5) New releases is way too long a list:
https://forum.matrixgames.com/viewforum.php?f=9545

6) Also in page above, some forums have moderators, others do not

7) Old smilies have gone odd, like this post:
Hi Matrix, awesome news.
Waiting for the italian one

8) Reporting a spam post appears to work, but after reporting gives a blank-ish page with just a link to "Return to the topic last visited". Trying to report post a second time just gives the blank-ish page. Would be nice to get confirmation the report was sent.

9) I think the most likely reason to report a post is Spam(?). In which case the reporting reason dropdown should default to this rather than pirated software.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 22
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 5:03:57 PM   
IainMcNeil

Are you trying to be obtuse? :)

Is it eh font size, the colour, the layout, something else? If you expect to get anyone to listen to you then you need to be able to explain what the problem is other wise people will ignore you.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 23
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 5:22:57 PM   
mainsworthy

if you want a big advantage over other forums, include a button to read aloud posts by a computer voice :) it would be quite a differrence and may attract new peolple btw it would fix small fonts :) just trying to brain storm, hope im not sounding nerdy :)

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 24
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 5:45:55 PM   
OldSarge

By and large it looks good, the scroll zoom works well enough and it retains the setting. Compared with the present forum it appears far better at least in the areas that I care about, like searching.

I also checked it out from my phone and the appearance, like that of the Slitherine site, is usable.

I noticed that when searching posts with replies that the search result returns the markup HTML I think the Slitherine site handles that correctly so probably just a cosmetic detail.

HTH

< Message edited by OldSarge -- 12/13/2021 5:46:18 PM >

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to mainsworthy)
Post #: 25
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 6:00:20 PM   
hadberz

Overall, looks good. It is a huge improvement for mobile devices. The white background is too bright for my eyes. The blue/grey color scheme of the current forum is fine or something similar in brightness. On the phone (Pixel 4a) there is a lot of wasted space (see pic). On a 10" Samsung tablet it looks perfect. Finally, the PC (Win 11) text appears in bold (not really a bad thing). The brightness is my biggest grip.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hadberz -- 12/13/2021 6:01:30 PM >

AMD 5800X 8 core 3.8 GHz
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi (F62 Bios)
16 GB G-Skill 1600 MHz
XFX AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB THICC III
Dell S2721DGF 2560x1440 165Hz
Dell S2719DGF 2560x1440 144Hz
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe drive
Win 11 Pro

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 26
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 7:09:54 PM   
Dreamslayer

If honestly, I prefer the current design. I just want a few more usual forum options like normal quotation, spoiler etc. Nothing special.

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 27
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 7:38:22 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

That's pretty much the same reply that post would have gotten 20 years ago. Maybe a bit less polite if Dave had answered it. Being constructive means providing some information on what would make it "not horrible" in your opinion.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 28
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 7:39:58 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian
I just think that the New Releases section should be in alphabetical order.

The New Releases section, for at least 15 years has the newest at the top and then as they are out for a while, the rest are alphabetical. Once out for a long while and with decreased activity, they get moved to another section.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 29
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/13/2021 7:41:11 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobeer
<snip>

Hi Matrix, awesome news.
Waiting for the italian one

Thank you, great feedback.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> New Matrix Forum Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI