Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Matrix Forum

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: New Matrix Forum Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/30/2021 1:23:39 PM   
76mm

Any idea when this new forum will launch?

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 61
RE: New Matrix Forum - 12/31/2021 6:53:10 PM   
Lobster

Not soon enough?

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 62
RE: New Matrix Forum - 1/12/2022 3:02:04 PM   
Edmon

I can't wait for the new forum. It's going to add a lot of modern features, which I sorely miss every time I try to post an image here :D.

To those asking what features it will have, it's the same as the Slitherine Forum, so just sign up for an account there and you can test it out.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 63
RE: New Matrix Forum - 1/12/2022 4:36:26 PM   
IainMcNeil

A big thankyou to everyone who posted their feedback. Below is a compiled list of feedback.

We're going to look at what can be done to deal with your concerns and update you.

Thanks again!

• Make the backgrounds all grey but different shades, with no white to be easier on the eyes. No need to alternate background colour as bars between posts would be better.
• User had to sign in with nomad_slith, not their matrix forum username nomad.
• Add different colour bars between posts where we show the post title and time of post.
• People don’t realise they can use Ctrl+Mouse wheel to zoom in and out. Can we make this clearer somehow? Can it default to fill the screen on your device?
• Forum arrangement – New releases needs to be trimmed down as there are too many.
• Subscribe to thread – subscriptions are not shown anywhere
• “Users browsing this forum” is white on a white background. Also the same for statistics.
• Some smilies are no longer supported.
• After reporting a spam post you go to a blankish page where the only option is to return to last topic.
• The most likely reason to report a post is spam so can it default to that, not piracy?
• When searching posts it returns the html markup rather than just the text.
• On mobile devise there is a huge amount of wasted space where the users avatar appears. See https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/259/4F9676FA8B664C2B8FD0F03EB8DC6314.jpg
• People would like to personalise the theme.
• Users post counts are double what they used to be on the old forum.
• Decisive Campaigns – Ardennes Offensive sub forums are not listed.
• Allow users to ignore forums or favourite / subscribe to forums to see a forum tree that only includes what they care about. Alternatively can subscribe to forum give a way to highlight it on the forum easily without receiving email notifications. Maybe enough just to have a setting to disable email notifications on subscriptions.
• Add a dark theme for the forums
• Layout feedback - https://i.imgur.com/EpShM4B.png
o text was easier to read – see comparison image above. Why is it clearer and how can we achieve this on new forum.
o The black line that breaks avatar section from text makes text easier to read and feel less like its detached.
• Need new ranking system
• Ensure the forum allows you to post pngs and other graphics formats, not just jpg.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 64
RE: New Matrix Forum - 1/12/2022 6:58:13 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edmon

I can't wait for the new forum. It's going to add a lot of modern features, which I sorely miss every time I try to post an image here :D.

To those asking what features it will have, it's the same as the Slitherine Forum, so just sign up for an account there and you can test it out.

Pardon my ignorance but I thought if you were signed up for the Matrix forum you were signed up for Slitherine also.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 65
RE: New Matrix Forum - 1/13/2022 4:25:19 PM   
Edmon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edmon

Pardon my ignorance but I thought if you were signed up for the Matrix forum you were signed up for Slitherine also.

Yep, your right. So you just need to sign up. There was a time when that wasn't the case, but it is now.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 66
RE: New Matrix Forum - 1/13/2022 10:04:46 PM   
Neilster

I think very few people viewing this forum do it on a mobile device. IMHO, the default should be for a desktop or laptop.

A comparison of posts with larger images seems to indicate that when using CTRL scroll wheel, the images have been reduced in size to fit the default narrow layout. Am I missing something?

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 67
RE: New Matrix Forum - 1/25/2022 4:22:07 PM   
IainMcNeil

It's still work in progress but there is an update to the new forum, adding in a top bar that integrates it better with the rest of the site. Many of the other upgrades are still WIP.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 68
RE: New Matrix Forum - 1/27/2022 2:05:49 PM   
actrade

Can't come soon enough. So tired of the site hanging intermittently.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 69
RE: New Matrix Forum - 1/27/2022 4:05:50 PM   
Zovs

I use my iPhone all the time to view and post here. But for obvious reasons use my desktop for AARs and to illustrate some aspect of a computer war game.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 70
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/9/2022 9:23:13 AM   
IainMcNeil

Latest version posted. Baring minor tweaks this is the version that will be going live once testing has completed so shout now if you have any issues or problems!

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 71
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/9/2022 11:14:00 AM   
Zovs

I just noticed that all the history of Private Messages are empty, will this be the case in the switch over? If so then no worries but a notification would be good to down load them here first or something.

Second here I always use the My Forums to quickly view posts I am interested in, but I don’t see or can’t find it in the new forum. Will this be implemented?

Third I absolutely love the mobile support I am seeing, I use my iPhone all the time to visit the forums and I have to flip it side ways to read any thing but with the forum I don’t have to do that and the images from users are scaled appropriately which is just fantastic!

Lastly, I am assuming the new forum supports bbc code or image code for images stored on the cloud like from Imgur, it’s what I use for screenshots and AARs will this be available in the new forum or will drag and drop and cut and paste work? We can’t test this feature yet.

Thanks for the hard and great work on the forum website!

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 72
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/9/2022 12:40:56 PM   
mainsworthy

• People don’t realise they can use Ctrl+Mouse wheel to zoom in and out. Can we make this clearer somehow? Can it default to fill the screen on your device?

this is great! i will use it everywhere

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 73
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/10/2022 11:41:01 AM   
IainMcNeil

Thanks for the feedback!

Zovs - did you log in to the forum? If not can you try and let me know if that helps the My Forum issue? To be honest I'm not sure what My Forums means so we may not have that functionality or it may be different. What is it you're trying to see?

I'll check on private messages - I don't know the answer but assumed they would come over.

The new forum is PHPBB so has all that kind of functionality you want built in and gets upgraded over time automatically.

Mainswrothy if you login to the new forum, then click on your name top right and go to preferences you'll see a Board settings tab. On this you can select Matrix or Matrix-wide which will fill the screen. We think it looks ugly so have left it off by default but its there if you want it!

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to mainsworthy)
Post #: 74
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/10/2022 11:46:50 AM   
RichG

quote:

ORIGINAL: IainMcNeil

Latest version posted. Baring minor tweaks this is the version that will be going live once testing has completed so shout now if you have any issues or problems!

Hi Iain

On the new forums main page the 'NEW RELEASES FROM MATRIX GAMES' is listed in a rather strange manner - Decisive Campaigns Ardennes and Campaign Series Vietnam are right down the list despite being very new. Also this section includes many games that are far from new, including Alea Jacta Est and Conflict of Heroes. Likewise, the 'current games' section is very short. I think you may want to rethink the organisation of these sections as it's quite confusing.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 75
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/10/2022 12:43:47 PM   
mainsworthy

quote:

Mainswrothy if you login to the new forum, then click on your name top right and go to preferences you'll see a Board settings tab. On this you can select Matrix or Matrix-wide which will fill the screen. We think it looks ugly so have left it off by default but its there if you want it!

Thanks that works great!

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 76
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/10/2022 2:59:23 PM   
IainMcNeil

quote:

ORIGINAL: RichG

quote:

Hi Iain

On the new forums main page the 'NEW RELEASES FROM MATRIX GAMES' is listed in a rather strange manner - Decisive Campaigns Ardennes and Campaign Series Vietnam are right down the list despite being very new. Also this section includes many games that are far from new, including Alea Jacta Est and Conflict of Heroes. Likewise, the 'current games' section is very short. I think you may want to rethink the organisation of these sections as it's quite confusing.

Thanks Rich, the new releases is a known issue that will be fixed as we import the forums across. The current games is something we plan to fix in a similar way to the existing forum with links to all games and we hope to have on day 1 but might be a week or two behind if its not ready in time.

We also plan to adjust the forum listing to clean it up as its been a long time since it was tidied but we have to migrate everything before attempting that.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to RichG)
Post #: 77
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/10/2022 9:06:29 PM   
Zovs

quote:

Thanks for the feedback!

Zovs - did you log in to the forum? If not can you try and let me know if that helps the My Forum issue? To be honest I'm not sure what My Forums means so we may not have that functionality or it may be different. What is it you're trying to see?

I'll check on private messages - I don't know the answer but assumed they would come over.

The new forum is PHPBB so has all that kind of functionality you want built in and gets upgraded over time automatically.

Yes last time I checked I was logged in. It seems to be better the last few days.

Here on Matrix there is a section in the upper right called My Forums. When you click on it it takes you to all the forums you have subscribed to for easy reference.

+1 on the PHPBB stuff...

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 78
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/11/2022 12:44:10 PM   
Zovs

Ian,

One more thing, the subscriptions (besides all the PMs) do not carry over.

So this is pretty critical in my view, no PMs, Subscriptions, Bookmarks, Notifications or Friends carry over from Matrix Games to the new site. Only the UserGroups carries over.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 79
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/11/2022 1:29:02 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs
Here on Matrix there is a section in the upper right called My Forums. When you click on it it takes you to all the forums you have subscribed to for easy reference.

Given the hundreds of forums on the Matrix site, this is a critical feature--I've book-marked this MyForum page and that is how I access the Matrix site. If the new site doesn't have this feature, I literally won't be back to this forum, because I'm not prepared to either bookmark all of the individual games that I follow or come to the general Matrix page and hunt and peck through all for the forums for what I'm interested in.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 80
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/11/2022 2:07:11 PM   
OldSarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

Given the hundreds of forums on the Matrix site, this is a critical feature--I've book-marked this MyForum page and that is how I access the Matrix site. If the new site doesn't have this feature, I literally won't be back to this forum, because I'm not prepared to either bookmark all of the individual games that I follow or come to the general Matrix page and hunt and peck through all for the forums for what I'm interested in.

Have you looked at the 'Manage Subscriptions' tab in the User Control Panel? I believe it'll do something close to what you're looking for. YMMV. It supports the feature, whether or not it'll be carried over or we have to redo it is another matter.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by OldSarge -- 2/11/2022 2:09:54 PM >

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 81
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/11/2022 5:08:58 PM   
ncc1701e

Where is it possible to look for a member name login? I was pressing the Member List.

Attachment (1)

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 82
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/11/2022 5:27:12 PM   
OldSarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

Where is it possible to look for a member name login? I was pressing the Member List.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page in the New format.

Attachment (1)

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 83
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/11/2022 6:41:16 PM   
Zovs

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldSarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

Have you looked at the 'Manage Subscriptions' tab in the User Control Panel? I believe it'll do something close to what you're looking for. YMMV. It supports the feature, whether or not it'll be carried over or we have to redo it is another matter.

Yes its completely empty at the new site, but here on Matrix Games I have forums and threads and a bunch of subscriptions but they are not transferred over to the new site.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 84
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/11/2022 6:50:16 PM   
Zovs

I had to manually re-subscribe to the forums I enjoy visiting.

I still think this should have transferred over, but maybe its just not possible.

If not I think some folks will be disappointed with the move. I know I'll lose all my PM, Friends and Bookmarks if what I am seeing so far is how the transfer will occur.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 85
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/11/2022 6:51:47 PM   
OldSarge

quote:

Yes its completely empty at the new site, but here on Matrix Games I have forums and threads and a bunch of subscriptions but they are not transferred over to the new site.

I was replying to 76mm, he was concerned that he wouldn't be able to manage his own forum list as he does on the current site.

Hopefully, copying over subscriptions is something that can be picked up by the migration team. It isn't a show stopper for me, my own list is sort enough to easily recreate, but I can understand others may have lengthier subscription lists.

< Message edited by OldSarge -- 2/11/2022 6:53:22 PM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 86
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/11/2022 8:36:50 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldSarge

Scroll down to the bottom of the page in the New format.

Thanks, I was confused by the fact you must be login to see it contrary to the old site.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 87
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/18/2022 5:43:18 PM   
nscrutable

Pros:

- The narrower UI makes for more readable word wrapping.

- The darker background is more pleasant on my eyes.

Cons:

- The new forum doesn't recognize my username when I try to log in. (!)

- The colorfully animated advertisements on the top of the screen are distracting while trying to read forum posts.

- The blue bar at the top stretching across the entire screen looks strange in contrast to the rest of the narrow UI when viewed on a wide screen. (nitpick)

Questions:

- How does the forum deal with wide images? Currently they don't scale down, so it forces using wide windows or zooming out which results in long lines of small text. A wide image could break the new narrower forums if it's not anticipated and tested.

< Message edited by nscrutable -- 2/18/2022 6:18:12 PM >

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 88
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/21/2022 1:11:22 PM   
z1812

Is there a mark all forums read command? I didn't see one.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 89
RE: New Matrix Forum - 2/21/2022 2:12:06 PM   
IainMcNeil

This will be going live tomorrow. This will requires approximately 1-2 hours of down time starting at 4pm GMT.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: New Matrix Forum Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI