Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it worth doing a game as Japan vs AI?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Is it worth doing a game as Japan vs AI? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it worth doing a game as Japan vs AI? - 12/14/2021 12:44:48 AM   
ObeseMonkey

I’ve been wanting to properly get into this game for a while.

But I’ve seen stuff suggesting only to play the allies against the AI, I’m wondering if this means it’s not worth playing as Japan at all.
I only ever play against ai, and I’m ok, but not amazing. I tend to self handicap occasionally to give the ai a chance. I find the ai in Strategic command without any bonuses challenging enough, and also the ai in many Ageod games.

Do you guys think I’ll find the ai worthwhile if I play as Japan?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Is it worth doing a game as Japan vs AI? - 12/14/2021 3:45:01 AM   
generalfdog

If you haven't played before yes, if you are experienced in wpe maybe. ai is better in wpp because it is less large scale land campaigns and where the ai really lacks is avoiding encirclement. Ai is not as crafty with their navy as a human player would be but they can still be a
challenge. Once you get the hang of it you will want to up the ai levels some. The nice thing about ai games is they are WAY quicker so you can learn and try new strategies. have fun

(in reply to ObeseMonkey)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it worth doing a game as Japan vs AI? - 12/14/2021 2:27:49 PM   
AlvaroSousa

As I tell everyone.... No one can make an A.I. that beats a human on average scales.

Paradox makes Hearts of Iron? They have a massive team of people working on this game with far more experience than I do.
An average player can beat the game.

War in the Pacific had very experienced programmers. Go read the forums. Even there once players realize the system they stuff the A.I., especially the Allies. They need to make accommodations for the Allied A.I. not to mess it up. Like back end invade something they took destroying their convoy supply line. It's impossible to code all instances of human cleverness into an A.I. for a game this complex. So the players basically play when the Allied A.I. takes a location they keep it.

I suck at Strategic Command 3. The first time I played SC Europe I stuffed the A.I. in France by jamming every single unit I had in there.

Increase the experience and supply to a point it is challenging.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to generalfdog)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it worth doing a game as Japan vs AI? - 12/14/2021 2:59:59 PM   
ObeseMonkey

Thanks!
I'm aware AI can never be as good as a human, but that isn't what I'm asking it to be. Hence why I self handicap in games a lot. I just don't have the time to play a human.
I kinda was more asking, is the AI as the Allies going to be non-existent, or do overly stupid things. HOI ai is atrocious, but SC or even Gary Gribsy the AI whilst maybe not as a good as a human rarely does things that seem bizarre. Basically I don't want to get hours in only to find the AI is plugging holes with planes, or is incapable of even launching an offensive.

Anyway sounds like its worth me having a go!

< Message edited by ObeseMonkey -- 12/14/2021 3:09:37 PM >

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 4
RE: Is it worth doing a game as Japan vs AI? - 12/14/2021 5:21:34 PM   
canuckgamer

It doesn't take any more time playing against another person by PBEM compared to playing the AI which is actually a waste of time except to learn mechanics.

My friend and I have been playing WP by PBEM since May 2021 and on average get in 3 or 4 turns a week. Personally it takes about 20 to 45 minutes to make a move depending on the situation. When our current WP game reaches the December 41 turn we will be starting a 1941 Campaign game of WPP so we will have a WP Global game going (sort of). Two of our other friends are new to the War Plan games and will be starting a PBEM of WP shortly.

Post #: 5
RE: Is it worth doing a game as Japan vs AI? - 12/14/2021 5:54:45 PM   
canuckgamer

I forgot to mention that the PBEM 1939 Campaign game that we started in May 2021 was completed last month. We then started a new PBEM, our second one of WP taking the same sides and are now in to May 1941. In this one my friend is using a new strategy by declaring Vichy and invading Yugoslavia and it appears Greece. I myself made some major errors in my production in the first game and have a revised strategy in that regards. Both of us learned a lot about tactics and strategy from our first playing so there has been a lot of different things happening in our second game. You will never have this playing the AI.

A four player PBEM option for WP Global when it comes out would be fun.

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 6
RE: Is it worth doing a game as Japan vs AI? - 12/14/2021 6:00:04 PM   
GiveWarAchance

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlvaroSousa

As I tell everyone.... No one can make an A.I. that beats a human on average scales.

Paradox makes Hearts of Iron? They have a massive team of people working on this game with far more experience than I do.
An average player can beat the game.

War in the Pacific had very experienced programmers. Go read the forums. Even there once players realize the system they stuff the A.I., especially the Allies. They need to make accommodations for the Allied A.I. not to mess it up. Like back end invade something they took destroying their convoy supply line. It's impossible to code all instances of human cleverness into an A.I. for a game this complex. So the players basically play when the Allied A.I. takes a location they keep it.

I suck at Strategic Command 3. The first time I played SC Europe I stuffed the A.I. in France by jamming every single unit I had in there.

Increase the experience and supply to a point it is challenging.

A good solution for single player is to have unbalanced scenarios for each side. The Gary Grisby game "World at War: a world divided" had an axis campaign with jacked up allies giving them increased production, and an allied campaign which made the axis much stronger so they had bigger armies. They can't be used for multiplayer because they are very unbalanced to give the single player a challenge, but they were very difficult to succeed at and took many tries to win and are at least as strong as a veteran human player or maybe stronger. Maybe this WPP could have something similar?

< Message edited by GiveWarAchance -- 12/14/2021 6:02:07 PM >

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 7
RE: Is it worth doing a game as Japan vs AI? - 12/14/2021 6:39:29 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: GiveWarAchance

They can't be used for multiplayer because they are very unbalanced to give the single player a challenge, but they were very difficult to succeed at and took many tries to win and are at least as strong as a veteran human player or maybe stronger.

Maybe this WPP could have something similar?

Did you try to setup the AI to Samurai experience with Optimal effectiveness?

Attachment (1)

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to GiveWarAchance)
Post #: 8
RE: Is it worth doing a game as Japan vs AI? - 12/14/2021 6:41:07 PM   
ObeseMonkey

I mean I dont play multiplayer, I feel like either I have worded my question poorly, or people assume we all want to play multiplayer. It requires consistency, not me not playing for 2 months every so often.
I don't play multiplayer ever. I have no intention to. I play games for fun, not a really challenge, and I can't be the only one who does so.

I brought this because it says it has AI, and I always play AI. I don't want challenging AI necessarily, I want it to be competent enough to have a bit of a spar with and some fun. As I said I find the basic, no bonus AI in GG or SC or DC perfectly adequate, and I just want to know if this AI is likewise adequate if I were to play as Japan, since it infers it is not in the in game scenario description.

Like for example, if the AI can even invade Japan? or Will it even try to re take Islands? Is it too passive? I saw one post where the AI had just shoved a ton of planes in India, is that a bug or common?

As I mentioned in the OP, I self handicap, so I deliberately don't try my hardest, maybe even let the ai do things, or allow mistakes to happen on my part. Thats how I play WITPAE or any other game like this.

< Message edited by ObeseMonkey -- 12/14/2021 6:44:42 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Is it worth doing a game as Japan vs AI? - 12/14/2021 6:59:49 PM   
GiveWarAchance

ncc19709, I was making a suggestion from another game. I am new to this WPP game now reading the manual and so I have nothing negative to say about the AI and may well be whooped by it.

About the game Strategic Command (World at War version) mentioned by the OP, it has a very strong AI for the allies and the developers deserve a lot of credit. I only played as Axis cause I set either Japan or Germany/Italy to AI control so I only control half of it and I never could win although I did do well as Germany but the power of the allies and Russia are both too great for me. I don't mind losing and just want to have a good war. I like the AI in that game so I think that gives hope that AIs can be as good or better than humans. Most probably some people will get upset and tell me I am an idiot for not playing multiplayer or 'git gud' but I will just leave them to stew while I enjoy the games. I don't like multiplayer cause it always seems like a bitter struggle between two people using every exploit they can find online to cheese the games. I don't use gamey exploits so I can't compete in mp, plus I really like the continuity of single player games where I can keep playing instead of 1 turn only.

Post #: 10
RE: Is it worth doing a game as Japan vs AI? - 12/14/2021 10:55:57 PM   
Remington700

quote:

ORIGINAL: GiveWarAchance

Most probably some people will get upset and tell me I am an idiot for not playing multiplayer or 'git gud'

I choose to play both sides using "hotseat" rather than against a human opponent. So I have run into this in the past with other communities - It can be a bit draining to listen to. However I have not run into this kind of attitude on the WP or WPP forums. The PBEM players post a lot, but they have always shown me respect and respond to what I have to say intelligently. And while I cannot speak to the quality of the AI, the support provided by Alvaro and the experts is top notch. I hope you all will give the game a chance - I think you will like it.

Post #: 11
RE: Is it worth doing a game as Japan vs AI? - 12/15/2021 1:48:44 AM   
GiveWarAchance

I will play WPP against the AI.

< Message edited by GiveWarAchance -- 12/15/2021 8:24:32 AM >

(in reply to Remington700)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Is it worth doing a game as Japan vs AI? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI