Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Gott mit uns - 1941 campaign Jango32 (Axis) vs mind_messing (Soviets)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Gott mit uns - 1941 campaign Jango32 (Axis) vs mind_messing (Soviets) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gott mit uns - 1941 campaign Jango32 (Axis) vs mind... - 12/27/2021 10:50:34 PM   
Jango32

I come with an open question. Spoiler alert, it is raining on Axis turn 4. I haven't been able to figure out if there is a way to have good recon results when raining.

Any mission settings that have worked out for you? Altitude, recon area, days, sorties, etc.

(in reply to Jango32)
Post #: 31
RE: Gott mit uns - 1941 campaign Jango32 (Axis) vs mind... - 1/16/2022 3:51:42 PM   
Jango32

Turn 3 Army Group North

Objective recon
Recon has not revealed much in Estonia, it's either empty or the Soviets are hiding really well there. The pocket has held and the Soviets have positioned themselves precariously near Pskov, ripe for another encirclement. Unfortunately Totenkopf was cut off by the Soviets, but should still have a good deal of supplies and fuel left in it to push to Tallinn.

Soviet hex flippers
After dealing with the troublesome Soviet unit that cut off Totenkopf's access to truck supplies, I started moving units to eliminate the pocket from last turn. We can see from the MPs that there's a Soviet unit in the way.

Pocket elimination
We rout the naval brigade that cut off Parnu from land supplies as well as the border guard unit that attempted to liberate the pocket. Afterward, infantry moved up and eliminated the trapped Soviet divisions. In addition, Totenkopf hex flipped an undefended Tallinn, but lacked enough MPs to actually enter the city.

Forming a new pocket
Panzergroup 4 manages to pocket the Soviet divisions sent to Pskov, and it seems to be a bountiful encirclement judging by the tank and mechanized divisions caught inside. 1st Panzer goes up as north as it can to probe the extent of Soviet defenses arrayed at the Luga.

Army Group North end of turn
Panzergroup 4 secures the pocket as best as it can while infantry move up to Pskov and into Estonia. I also assigned an anti-tank support unit to the most vulnerable regiment in case the Soviets attempt a breakout. Overall I feel that in the north I am in a strong position for the drive to Leningrad.

(in reply to Jango32)
Post #: 32
RE: Gott mit uns - 1941 campaign Jango32 (Axis) vs mind... - 1/16/2022 4:14:25 PM   
Jango32

Turn 3 Army Group Center

Objective recon
The pocket from last turn has thankfully held, however at the cost of spreading out the motorized corps all over the place. Recon shows much fewer Soviet forces when compared to turn 2, however this cannot be true: it makes no sense to abandon the Smolensk line so early. So we will operate on the assumption that recon is insufficient. Infantry must catch up and we have to reorganize the motorized corps for a strike against Smolensk.

Pocket destruction and Gomel
We eliminate the routed divisions that failed to rally in addition to the cohesive forces spotted by recon, confirmed through the destroyed units tab in the losses screen. There appears to be a buildup of Soviet forces in Gomel and near our Panzer units (note the level 0 fort in the heavy woods).

Motorized corps repositioning
I've decided that for this turn most of Panzergroup 2 and 3's mobile assets will rest after repositioning closer for a spearhead assault aimed at encircling Smolensk. Reducing fatigue and increasing CPP should help with cutting off Smolensk next turn.

Army Group Center end of turn
The units that won't be resting this turn are the motorized infantry of Panzergroup 3, which are used to pocket Soviet infantry between Vitebsk and Velikie Luki. Infantry also moves up and should reach the Smolensk area next turn. So far I think I still have operational tempo in the center, although the Soviet buildups in the Gomel area may need to be addressed sooner or later.

(in reply to Jango32)
Post #: 33
RE: Gott mit uns - 1941 campaign Jango32 (Axis) vs mind... - 1/16/2022 4:38:26 PM   
Jango32

Turn 3 Army Group South

Objective recon east
Well. Unfortunately the eastern pockets did not hold, however it doesn't look like the Soviets managed to run very far away. This should let me encircle them again this turn and hopefully start eliminating Southwestern Front for good next turn. There doesn't appear to be much on the road to Kiev according to recon, but we've been burned by it in this direction last turn... Regardless, the Galicia pocket will be wiped out this turn.

Objective recon south
Same as above. Should be able to repocket and push to Odessa at the same time.

Closing the Zhitomir pocket again
A very lucky deliberate attack makes the airborne brigades retreat out of the way. I was content with simply routing those away in frustration, but RNG ruled in my favour. Unfortunately I hadn't moved Wiking, and will need to take a detour to avoid ZOC and the rough hexes in the vicinity...

Reclosing pocket island 1
The infantry division forces an NKVD unit in the rough hex to retreat into island 2, thus closing island 1. 6th army divisions also clear hexes in anticipation of the FBD's movement next turn, as well as act as advance blockers for island 1's trapped units.

Probing the Dnepr
It seems that the Soviets here have retreated over the Dnepr based on the lack of hex flips near the river line. Will see how much territory I can secure without fighting.

Reclosing the Vinnitsa island
The Vinnitsa pocket is secured once more and it looks like the Soviets have abandoned the southern portion of the Dnepr in this area.

Driving into the open country
I didn't see that this screenshot failed to save properly and it's too late for a retake. Oh well. Everything here has been successfully repocketed without any hope of relief or breakout for the trapped Soviet divisions. Also, a large amount of Soviet territory has been captured without a fight, although I must be wary of the railhead and my trucks.

Army Group South end of turn
All of the Soviet divisions that were pocketed on the previous turn have been repocketed, with a few extras added onto the pile too. Steady progress to Odessa further south. Additionally, I've cut off the rail from Odessa into Nikolaev and Kirovograd to prevent any railway evacuations of Soviet forces.

< Message edited by Jango32 -- 1/16/2022 4:43:22 PM >

(in reply to Jango32)
Post #: 34
RE: Gott mit uns - 1941 campaign Jango32 (Axis) vs mind... - 1/16/2022 4:45:49 PM   
Jango32

Turn 3 Losses

A good amount of Soviet losses for relatively few German losses. Eliminating the Minsk and Galicia pockets has certainly added to the tally. It should increase even more as I eliminate the newly formed pockets in the north and south.

(in reply to Jango32)
Post #: 35
RE: Gott mit uns - 1941 campaign Jango32 (Axis) vs mind... - 1/16/2022 5:10:26 PM   
Stamb

What experience level mind_messing is, and you ?

< Message edited by Stamb -- 1/16/2022 5:12:59 PM >

(in reply to Jango32)
Post #: 36
RE: Gott mit uns - 1941 campaign Jango32 (Axis) vs mind... - 1/16/2022 5:24:29 PM   
Jango32

He's played more games than I have. This is my second MP game (the first one is the 4 vs 4 in For the Infallible GROFAZ), with only one semi-completed singleplayer campaign.

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 37
RE: Gott mit uns - 1941 campaign Jango32 (Axis) vs mind... - 2/2/2022 12:54:00 PM   
Stamb

Any news here?

(in reply to Jango32)
Post #: 38
RE: Gott mit uns - 1941 campaign Jango32 (Axis) vs mind... - 2/2/2022 1:07:32 PM   
Jango32

There are, just wanted to finish turn 6 before updating with turn 4. Problem is that during the week I don't have much energy left to play the game. Even as I write this I am still working from home.

So I usually play during the weekend. I can say that about 70% of turn 6 is done, I mainly need to continue doing the center. The north and south are mostly played.

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Gott mit uns - 1941 campaign Jango32 (Axis) vs mind_messing (Soviets) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI