Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What if...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What if... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 4:10:09 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

What recent posts seem to have ignored is what actually happened in terms of the Republican nomination in 1940. By the time Japan decided to declare war on the US in December 1941, real life events are supposed to have happened in this counterfactual too. We know how the Republican party reacted to German aggression against neutrals in 1940, in terms of their nomination preference. So why would a Republican be necessarily different in terms of their stance toward the Axis?

In 1940 the USSR was an Axis friend. By Pearl Harbor they were an offical member of the Allies. Republicans have a more viceral reaction to Communism than that other party. So, a Republican administration - just attacked by an Allied Power - might see the Axis as the lesser of two evils.
warspite1

But according to the creator’s version of events, nothing has changed in terms of real life events up to July 1941 (other than a souring of German-Japanese relations). US opinion of Nazi Germany hasn’t changed (the Republican Wilkie wants to aid Britain). So I don’t see why the US opinion of Hitler suddenly changes. What this fairy tale hinges on is the preposterous notion that Churchill chooses Japan over the US. Remember, in this counterfactual it is suggested that Britain - already heavily dependent on the US in 1941 - decides to declare war on the United States of America. The reason given for Churchill’s decision is straight out of the Japanese real life thinking . It totally ignores the economic, military and political situation that existed at that time. And how will effectively bankrupt Britain be going to continue a war against Germany and Italy - let alone the US too - without US assistance?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/12/2022 8:09:37 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 61
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 8:42:14 AM   
RangerJoe

Lend Lease was essential to the Allies because Britain had used up all of its foreign currency to buy war items. Why would Churchill end that? Just so the United Kingdom would surrender?

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 62
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 9:56:39 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Lend Lease was essential to the Allies because Britain had used up all of its foreign currency to buy war items. Why would Churchill end that? Just so the United Kingdom would surrender?
warspite1

According to the You Tuber, Churchill would come to the same conclusion as the Japanese - the US would not be up for a long war

So Britain is relying on the US for supplies, weapons and ship repair, but Churchill will forego all of that and er.... erm..... literally bite the hand that is keeping it alive. Yes, that sounds eminently sensible doesn’t it?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 63
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 11:33:25 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

warspite1

According to the You Tuber, Churchill would come to the same conclusion as the Japanese - the US would not be up for a long war

So Britain is relying on the US for supplies, weapons and ship repair, but Churchill will forego all of that and er.... erm..... literally bite the hand that is keeping it alive. Yes, that sounds eminently sensible doesn’t it?

Of course it does.

For those people who actually think so, may I ask what they are on and where can I legally get some?

― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 64
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 1:45:43 PM   
Lobster

Churchill knew that eventually the U.S. would enter the war on the side of the U.K. regardless of the leadership.

4 June 1940

“...
We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

He wasn't talking about Canada.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 1/12/2022 1:46:54 PM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 65
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 1:56:25 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Churchill knew that eventually the U.S. would enter the war on the side of the U.K. regardless of the leadership.

4 June 1940

“...
We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

He wasn't talking about Canada.
warspite1

Indeed he wasn’t. Churchill was a lot of things, a great man, but with almost as many faults as virtues. But he was 100% right about the USA, and the need for the USA to enter the struggle against Nazism. Any suggestion that he would even have considered, for one nano second, sacrificing that goal is total lunacy.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 66
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 2:22:25 PM   
Lobster

Alternate history is pretending. Because it never happened. You can pretend any number of things that are not based in reality. There is nothing wrong with that. That's one of the things that make us homo sapiens. We can take things that never happened and never could happen and mould them into a fictional story.

I was driving in the fog on a highway with one lane for southbound traffic and one lane for northbound traffic. I was traveling south in a river valley towards a town that had a cement factory. Very large bulk carriers traversed the road often. It was a dark autumn morning. It was very foggy. So much so that it wasn't possible to see more than 50 yards. From the south one of those bulk carriers lights appeared out of the fog. Next to it traveling directly at me in my lane was an automobile stupidly attempting to pass the bulk carrier in the fog. I had two options. Drive off the road to the right. Stay the course. Picking the wrong one would result in a headon collision. I left the decision of leaving the road to the idiot and stayed in my lane. The idiot drove off the road narrowly avoiding a collision. What if I had moved off the road also? What if the idiot had stayed on the road? Doesn't matter. What happened is what happened and no one died. It's history and it actually happened. That's real life. I could have activated my anti gravity device and hopped over. I could have activated my matter transporter and popped up beyond the potential collision. I could have disintigrated the oncoming car with my death ray. But of course those things don't exist any more than the U.S. siding with Nazi Germany in WW2. But what if...

< Message edited by Lobster -- 1/12/2022 2:23:18 PM >

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 67
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 3:11:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Alternate history is pretending. Because it never happened. You can pretend any number of things that are not based in reality. There is nothing wrong with that. That's one of the things that make us homo sapiens. We can take things that never happened and never could happen and mould them into a fictional story.

warspite1

I thought we’d done this? You are happy with the counterfactual and I am not. That’s it.

Example, I could do a counterfactual on the space race. What if the Soviets decided to forget the moon race and go for Mars? Could they have got there by 1970? There that is a counterfactual. I mean the premis is total sloblocks on every possible level, but I’m sure someone would like the You Tube video........ just not many people who know about and are interested in the space race, how it developed and what happened. I suspect my counterfactual would be greeted appropriately........Some people are happy with anything (and thats fine) while others would like a counterfactual that actually has some degree of thought gone into it so that the outcome is believable (and that is fine too). Horses for courses.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 68
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 5:18:29 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

quote:

What recent posts seem to have ignored is what actually happened in terms of the Republican nomination in 1940. By the time Japan decided to declare war on the US in December 1941, real life events are supposed to have happened in this counterfactual too. We know how the Republican party reacted to German aggression against neutrals in 1940, in terms of their nomination preference. So why would a Republican be necessarily different in terms of their stance toward the Axis?

In 1940 the USSR was an Axis friend. By Pearl Harbor they were an offical member of the Allies. Republicans have a more viceral reaction to Communism than that other party. So, a Republican administration - just attacked by an Allied Power - might see the Axis as the lesser of two evils.
warspite1

But according to the creator’s version of events, nothing has changed in terms of real life events up to July 1941 (other than a souring of German-Japanese relations). US opinion of Nazi Germany hasn’t changed (the Republican Wilkie wants to aid Britain). So I don’t see why the US opinion of Hitler suddenly changes. What this fairy tale hinges on is the preposterous notion that Churchill chooses Japan over the US. Remember, in this counterfactual it is suggested that Britain - already heavily dependent on the US in 1941 - decides to declare war on the United States of America. The reason given for Churchill’s decision is straight out of the Japanese real life thinking . It totally ignores the economic, military and political situation that existed at that time. And how will effectively bankrupt Britain be going to continue a war against Germany and Italy - let alone the US too - without US assistance?

Well, I'm changing that sequence by swapping Roosevelt for a right-wing Republican. What Churchill decides doesn't matter, if the US decides that the Allies are the greater evil. The combination of Stalin and Tojo could pull that off. No doubt the US will try to remain neutral with Britain. But, war being war, that will prove difficult, as in the video.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 69
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 5:30:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Well, I'm changing that sequence by swapping Roosevelt for a right-wing Republican. What Churchill decides doesn't matter, if the US decides that the Allies are the greater evil. The combination of Stalin and Tojo could pull that off. No doubt the US will try to remain neutral with Britain. But, war being war, that will prove difficult, as in the video.
warspite1

But Germany's actions meant that the Republicans went for Wilkie. So that's a big leap of imagination. You are not saying much for the American people that Germany's actions 1939-41 don't register with them..... isolationist maybe but pro-Fascist??

You refer to the 'Allies' as though they are a homogenous group and that the US has to choose between the Axis and 'Allies'.

For one thing the 'Allies' are the Commonwealth (yes that includes the oldest Dominion Canada sitting on Americas northern border), the Soviet Union, China and Japan. So given that two of these 'Allies' are at war with each other and that none of them are exactly bedfellows then that hardly fits that particular bill. And what of the USSR and Britain and their relations with China? It's far more complicated than 'Axis' and 'Allies'.

But moreover, how can you possibly say that what Churchill decides does not matter?

It very much matters. If Churchill doesn't (cough) declare war on the US then why do the US need to join the Axis, even if Japan attacks them???? In that scenario why would the USA decide: "right, Japan have attacked us. But Britain and the USSR are fighting against Fascist regimes and not interested in going to war against us". I know, lets join the Germans and Italians against the two powers we are currently providing lend-lease too and are Allied with in all but name.....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/12/2022 6:40:54 PM >

Post #: 70
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 6:46:15 PM   
Lobster

Sorry. Forgot for a moment that you reject all fiction even for entertainment purposes.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 71
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 6:51:16 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

But Germany's actions meant that the Republicans went for Wilkie. So that's a big leap of imagination. You are not saying much for the American people that Germany's actions 1939-41 don't register with them..... isolationist maybe but pro-Fascist??

You refer to the 'Allies' as though they are a homogenous group and that the US has to choose between the Axis and 'Allies'.

For one thing the 'Allies' are the Commonwealth (yes that includes the oldest Dominion Canada sitting on Americas northern border), the Soviet Union, China and Japan. So given that two of these 'Allies' are at war with each other and that none of them are exactly bedfellows then that hardly fits that particular bill. And what of the USSR and Britain and their relations with China? It's far more complicated than 'Axis' and 'Allies'.

But moreover, how can you possibly say that what Churchill decides does not matter?

It very much matters. If Churchill doesn't (cough) declare war on the US then why do the US need to join the Axis, even if Japan attacks them???? In that scenario why would the USA decide: "right, Japan have attacked us. But Britain and the USSR are fighting against Fascist regimes and not interested in going to war against us". I know, lets join the Germans and Italians against the two powers we are currently providing lend-lease too and are Allied with in all but name.....

If the UK and Japan were still allied, why would Japan even attack China? Japan might "liberate" Manchuria and put the Emperor on the throne there as in real life but what would have happened if the hotheads at the Marco Polo bridge did not have their generals gone from the area and the generals had worked things out? How about making it realistic and have China under Chiang and Japan both work on eliminating Chairman Mao and his cohorts so Chiang could do the land reforms and other reforms that he wanted done? China and Japan would have had synergies for many things if they would have worked together,

― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 72
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 6:51:24 PM   
Lobster

So, looking at the map for the what if scenario presented by this guy exactly how would England hold out even for a little while? Seems to me not even the English fleet could save them for long. They do need fuel.

Post #: 73
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 7:16:23 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Not pro-Fascist. Anti-Communist. These are Republicans in charge now.

quote:

I'm just saying that what may have been a fantasy on the site, could be made plausible with a more right-wing US Administration. The US, attacked by an Allied power, could see the Soviet-Japan combination as the greater evil than Nazi Germany. Soviet and Japanese attrocities are old news. Nazi attrocities are just rumors. And Japan attacking the neutral US blunts the argument that the Axis are the aggressors. Policy decisions of 1940 have been made obsolete by the events of 1941. The World Hedgemony of the Communist and Japanese combo may seem more threatening than the Axis (which is, so far, limited to Europe and the Med).

As in the video, there is no initial war between USA & UK. But, as in the video, war friction would probably lead to it. War with Japan alone is likely to, inadvertently, lead to incidents with their allies (USSR & Britain). So...war with Japan will probably lead to war with Russia and/or Britain - necessitating aid to the Axis. Once the US is sending aid to the Axis over the Atlantic, clashes with Britain are very likely.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 74
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 7:22:03 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm just saying that what may have been a fantasy on the site, could be made plausible with a more right-wing US Administration. The US, attacked by an Allied power, could see the Soviet-Japan combination as the greater evil than Nazi Germany. Soviet and Japanese attrocities are old news. Nazi attrocities are just rumors. And Japan attacking the neutral US blunts the argument that the Axis are the aggressors. Policy decisions of 1940 have been made obsolete by the events of 1941. The World Hedgemony of the Communist and Japanese combo may seem more threatening than the Axis (which is, so far, limited to Europe and the Med).

As in the video, there is no initial war between USA & UK. But, as in the video, war friction would probably lead to it. War with Japan alone is likely to, inadvertently, lead to incidents with their allies (USSR & Britain). So...war with Japan will probably lead to war with Russia and/or Britain - necessitating aid to the Axis. Once the US is sending aid to the Axis over the Atlantic, clashes with Britain are very likely.

Why would any Allied power attack the US? To get aid rebuilding their country after the war? Ever read the book or see the movie "The Mouse that Roared?"

Nazi atrocities were facts and not rumors in 1941.

A more "right wing" administration would have been isolationist and not in favor of the Axis.

― Julia Child

Post #: 75
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 7:29:09 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Why would any Allied power attack the US? To get aid rebuilding their country after the war? Ever read the book or see the movie "The Mouse that Roared?"

Japan, an Allied Power in this version of history, has attacked the US.

quote:

Not mass murder. Whereas such Soviet and Japanese attrocities were old news.

quote:

A more "right wing" administration would have been isolationist...

Not after being attacked by Japan in a sneak attack at Pearl Harbor.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 76
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 7:39:16 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

Japan, an Allied Power in this version of history, has attacked the US.

quote:

Not mass murder. Whereas such Soviet and Japanese attrocities were old news.

quote:

A more "right wing" administration would have been isolationist...

Not after being attacked by Japan in a sneak attack at Pearl Harbor.

If Japan was still a member of the Allies, why would she even attack the USA?

I guess that you never heard of Babyn Yar? Also known as Babi Yar? The locals watched what happened there . . .

― Julia Child

Post #: 77
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 7:46:43 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Same reasons as historically, as a result of her war with China. See the video.

quote:

I guess that you never heard of Babyn Yar? Also known as Babi Yar? The locals watched what happened there . . .

Locals knowing is not the same as the world knowing.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 78
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 7:49:39 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Sorry. Forgot for a moment that you reject all fiction even for entertainment purposes.
warspite1

What a child. As I have made perfectly clear - even to you - there are counterfactuals that attempt to sensibly look at what could have happened based on the historical, and there are counterfactuals that don’t trouble themselves in the effort department. You can’t accept another view point and now turn to sarcasm. Well done.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/12/2022 7:50:07 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 79
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 8:17:31 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

Same reasons as historically, as a result of her war with China. See the video.

quote:

Locals knowing is not the same as the world knowing.

The reason Japan attacked the US was the stopping of the oil exports to Japan which the DEI also followed. The reason for the ban on oil exports was the occupation of French Indochina but since France would be an ally of Japan then that would not be a problem for the US. So there would be no ban on oil exports to Japan and hence no reason for the attack on the US at Pearl Harbor nor anywhere else.

While there were disagreements with Japan over China, the closest that came to actual war was in 1937.

As far is it being known about Babyn Yar, it was known to those people who had an interest in such events as well as certain people in power. As far as every single person in the entire world knowing about such an event, you are correct in that not every single person would have known about it. But the people in power and/or interested in such power in the US knew about such things but at that time, there was only so much that could be done about them. Heck, the Communists and Socialists in the USA were protesting assisting the Allies until after the 22nd of June, 1941 . . .

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 1/12/2022 8:40:14 PM >

― Julia Child

Post #: 80
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 8:39:03 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

The reason Japan attacked the US was the stopping of the oil exports to Japan which the DEI also followed. The reason for the ban on oil exports was the occupation of French Indochina but since France would be an ally of Japan then that would not be a problem for the US. So there would be no ban on oil exports to Japan and hence no reason for the attack on the US at Pearl Harbor nor anywhere else.

The US reaction to Japanese occupation of French Indochina was not to protect French colonial possessions. It was an expansion of the war against China, and that required the reaction made.

quote:

As far is it being known about Babyn Yar, it was known to those people who had an interest in such events as well as certain people in power. As far as every single person in the entire world knowing about such an event, you are correct in that not every single person would have known about it. But the people in power and/or interested in such power in the US knew about such things but at that time, there was only so much that could be done about them. Heck, the Communists and Socialists in the USA were protesting assisting the Allies until after the 22nd of June, 1941 . . .

Still, just rumors. Certainty didn't arrive till tanks rolled into the death camps.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 81
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 8:45:21 PM   
Lobster

quote:

quote:

warspite1

What a child. As I have made perfectly clear - even to you - there are counterfactuals that attempt to sensibly look at what could have happened based on the historical, and there are counterfactuals that don’t trouble themselves in the effort department. You can’t accept another view point and now turn to sarcasm. Well done.

Ah resorting to name calling. You don't like what if historical scenarios fine. Why are you even commenting here if it isn't your cup of tea? To pound your chest and shout how correct you are and how wrong everyone else is because they like to play with the facts? Others do like fictional history no matter how out of whack it is. So go find a thread where people of your mindset play. I hope you will be happy there. I do enjoy alternate history. That's exactly what this thread is about. If you can't handle that and it seems to upset you greatly then simply stop paying attention to this thread. Easy as that. No one is forcing it on you except you.

It's funny that you totally ignore that I did indeed agree that this was all way out there and had zero chance of even happening. But whether or not it could actually come to fruition was never the point. The point was having fun with alternate history even if it could never happen. Fictional history. You have a problem with it, fine. I accept that. I don't have a problem with it and neither do others. You do seem to have a problem with that and can't accept that.

Have a nice day.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 1/12/2022 8:58:44 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 82
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 8:59:06 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

The US reaction to Japanese occupation of French Indochina was not to protect French colonial possessions. It was an expansion of the war against China, and that required the reaction made.

quote:

Still, just rumors. Certainty didn't arrive till tanks rolled into the death camps.

The Japanese move into Indochina would have been moving forces into an ally and hence not a problem for the USA. Or don't you comprehend that? The war in China was not the reason for the attack on Pearl Harbor, it was due to the oil embargo put into place by the Japanese occupying Indochina but if they were allies, not a problem for the US. As far as the war in China was concerned, what would have been the likelihood of that even occuring of the UK and Japan were allied?

Babyn Yar was known about and there were survivors. Just ask Dina Pronicheva about what it was like . . .

― Julia Child

Post #: 83
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 9:01:21 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Ah resorting to name calling. You don't like what if historical scenarios fine. Why are you even commenting here if it isn't your cup of tea? To pound your chest and shout how correct you are and how wrong everyone else is because they like to play with the facts? Others do like fictional history no matter how out of whack it is. So go find a thread where people of your mindset play. I hope you will be happy there. I do enjoy alternate history. That's exactly what this thread is about. If you can't handle that and it seems to upset you greatly then simply stop paying attention to this thread. Easy as that. No one is forcing it on you except you.

Have a nice day.
warspite1

And on the back of sarcasm you evidence how you've not even been able to keep up with the discussion. As is obvious, I love analysing and discussing counterfactuals. That you suggest otherwise says much. Just because I disagree with you you are like a dog with a bone. According to you I have to agree that the You Tube post was great - just because you like it - regardless of the childlike assumptions it makes. As I've said you like it and that is fine - but you can't honestly debate its assumptions like a grown up (I suspect because even you know its nonsense). I don't like it and am prepared to debate. Listen, if you can't take grown up debate then stay away.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 84
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 9:03:55 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

The Japanese move into Indochina would have been moving forces into an ally and hence not a problem for the USA. Or don't you comprehend that? The war in China was not the reason for the attack on Pearl Harbor, it was due to the oil embargo put into place by the Japanese occupying Indochina but if they were allies, not a problem for the US. As far as the war in China was concerned, what would have been the likelihood of that even occuring of the UK and Japan were allied?

The situation in China would not have been that simple, since China was an Ally too. Clearly, this would have been an expansion against China. The US reaction would have been the same as historically.

quote:

Babyn Yar was known about and there were survivors. Just ask Dina Pronicheva about what it was like . .

Again, a few people knowing something constitutes a rumor to the larger world.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 85
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 9:05:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

But if they are not pro-Fascist then why do the US ally with the Fascists? You said it doesn't matter what Churchill does, or in other words you say that regardless of how Britain react to the Japanese declaring war, the USA will ally with Hitler and Mussolini....

Post #: 86
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 9:12:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

But these 'Allies are a loose bunch without common purpose. The only common purpose that Stalin and Churchill have is defeating Hitler. Neither are interested in a Japan that attacks the very country that is keeping them afloat. Why would these two decide that they can make an enemy of the US in early 1942 and still defeat the Germans?

Take Stalin alone. The USSR are getting nothing from Japan. Why would they stay 'Allies' with Japan if it is going to cost them US support? Not only US support but actually mean the US will aid the Germans?

Actions in 1940 affect things in 1941 because the Amercians have installed a pro-British president. That has been done before we get to 1941.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/12/2022 9:29:54 PM >

Post #: 87
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 9:16:24 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

There is war between the UK and the USA because Churchill declares war on the USA. Just typing that sentence out makes me laugh at the absurdity. I ask again, how does an effectively bankrupt Britain, that needs the US for food, raw materials and weapons intend to fight, not just the Axis, but the US too. Where does that make sense on any level?

Britain's entire Far East policy centred on keeping America on side. They ended a treaty with Japan in the early twenties so as not to upset the US. You are talking about not only turning this cornerstone of policy on its head, but doing so just at the time the US are keeping Britain afloat.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/12/2022 9:21:00 PM >

Post #: 88
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 9:17:15 PM   
Lobster

Here's an even more likely what if that could have put Germany against Japan. Germany had far more to lose in raw materials by siding with Japan than siding with China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-German_cooperation_(1926%E2%80%931941)#:~:text=Cooperation%20between%20China%20and%20Germany%20was%20instrumental%20in,was%20fraught%20with%20factional%20warlordism%20and%20foreign%20incursions.

So now China becomes a German trading partner and receives German military aid and perhaps becomes an ally. Evidently Hitler thought Japan would be better suited in that role. Without the raw materials but with a more able military. Yet he failed to include them when planning Barbarossa. What's the point of their stronger military if you refuse to use it to your advantage? That's plain stupid and makes zero sense. And China is also supported by the U.S. At the same time Japan and Germany are now at odds. And Japan and the U.S. are also at odds.

Now Japan attacks China, now Germany's second or third largest trading partner where tens millions of marks are invested and Germany's friend if not ally. The U.S. also has close ties with China. The U.S. and Germany find themselves on the same side in a war in China. Japan is Germany's enemy. Japan is the enemy of the U.S. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 1/12/2022 9:29:16 PM >

Post #: 89
RE: What if... - 1/12/2022 9:20:16 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Here's an even more likely what if that could have put Germany against Japan. Germany had far more to lose in raw materials by siding with Japan than siding with China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-German_cooperation_(1926%E2%80%931941)#:~:text=Cooperation%20between%20China%20and%20Germany%20was%20instrumental%20in,was%20fraught%20with%20factional%20warlordism%20and%20foreign%20incursions.

How could Germany even received any raw materials from China if the Allies did not want them to receive any? Especially if Japan was allied with the United Kingdom?

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What if... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI