Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Very nice so far

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> RE: Very nice so far Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Very nice so far - 1/20/2022 8:54:49 PM   
Crossroads

Bootcamp #2 is quite a nail biter each time for too! I think I have lost it as many times at least that I have won it.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 31
RE: Very nice so far - 1/20/2022 11:28:18 PM   
budd

Was going to wait until this weekend to pick this up, but couldn't resist. won't get much time to play the grand kid is visiting, but there is always nap time

The install went fine, opened up the biggest scenario and everything moved fine, scrolling, zoom both were fine. Whoever did the map graphics did a damn fine job, especially the 2d looks real good.

Vietnam isn't my favorite, but neither was CSME but it's one of my favorites now. Maybe because all the armor. I am really looking forward to the CSME upgrade.

Just popped in to say thanks for all your work and good luck and success on the launch, well done guys.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 32
RE: Very nice so far - 1/20/2022 11:30:20 PM   
Jason Petho

Thank you so much for your continued support, Budd!

I'm glad you're liking what you see, wait until you start playing it!

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 33
RE: Very nice so far - 1/20/2022 11:59:12 PM   
hubertkj

First off, I just want to say you created some amazing maps! I wanted to peruse the maps all evening so I had to close the map editor so I could spend my limited time doing battle.

Got off work, helped my daughter with her homework, watched some Netflix with my wife, and dove into the Battle of Giong Dinh. Wow, I really like the variable objectives. I'm just starting turn 14 and I'm finally back in the positive point range after taking all of the objectives. The French have some serious firepower, but battling the Viet Minh is no picnic.

Fun little scenario. Who needs tanks when you have to deal with a nearly invisible enemy. I also like the hidden casualty stats.

My wife is already setting a time limit for me this evening.I don't think she's going to be too happy with your little endeavor.

Post #: 34
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 12:18:56 AM   
theWombat

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something (again) but in Bootcamp 4, there are no labels on the map. Alt 1 doesn't do anything, nor does the option in the menu bar up top. No labels at all, which makes it rather hard to play when you need to know where to go!

(in reply to hubertkj)
Post #: 35
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 12:39:40 AM   
hubertkj

quote:

ORIGINAL: theWombat

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something (again) but in Bootcamp 4, there are no labels on the map. Alt 1 doesn't do anything, nor does the option in the menu bar up top. No labels at all, which makes it rather hard to play when you need to know where to go!

I believe you'll have to apply the unofficial patch which can be found in the CSVN Living Patch thread.

I think that will patch up the missing labels. Not sure about the hotkeys. I typically forget to use the hotkeys.

(in reply to theWombat)
Post #: 36
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 1:04:56 AM   
berto

In the past two or three weeks, there was a production glitch that had the labels in Bootcamp 4 somehow go AWOL. Indeed, you need to apply the hot-fix data patch available here:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5131062

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to hubertkj)
Post #: 37
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 1:25:51 AM   
theWombat

Eh, I'll wait for the real patch. No biggie. Went and played one of the French scenarios, the first in the list I think, with an airborne drop on a village near Saigon. Like the German language calls for medics from the Foreign Legion units, given the high number of former German soldiers in those units. I managed to take all the objectives but lost, a minor defeat. I think I took too many casualties.

I've been playing with the 2d NATO counters, as the 3D units are too hard for me to see well (running at 1440p). That works nicely though and the game has lots of good atmosphere. I do find the unit data a bit confusing, as for instance there does not seem to be a convenient way to find out what specific weapons a unit is using, or their fire values? Most of it is pretty logical though, as the units are not that exotic.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 38
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 1:49:31 AM   
Umbra_TSSI

A big Thank You to the entire CS Vietnam team!

I haven't played any of the CS games but working my way through Bootcamp 1.

< Message edited by Umbra_TSSI -- 1/21/2022 2:29:17 AM >

(in reply to jbmoore68)
Post #: 39
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 1:58:29 AM   
berto

And a very big You're Welcome back to you! Fly high, watch your flanks, and have fun!

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Umbra_TSSI)
Post #: 40
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 3:55:59 AM   
devoncop

quote:

I do find the unit data a bit confusing, as for instance there does not seem to be a convenient way to find out what specific weapons a unit is using, or their fire values? Most of it is pretty logical though, as the units are not that exotic.

Select the unit then hit F2

Gives you all the data you need on the unit/weapons/effective ranges etc.

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to theWombat)
Post #: 41
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 5:26:26 AM   
devoncop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Aww, that's great you're enjoying it!

Hahahah, yes, I swear all the bootcamps are winnable, I have achieved Major's in all of them.

But the randomness makes it a challenge!

I can confirm that for Bootcamp 2 at least ! 2nd attempt went from Major Defeat to Major victory.

Getting those trenches dug and those Claymores placed early made a big difference as well as actually maaging to navigate my howitzers to the firebase in time :-)

I will say the tutorials are so far doing a really great job of helping me learn the nuances.

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

Post #: 42
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 5:27:50 AM   
Jason Petho

I'm happy to hear that!! YAY! See, they are winnable! hahaha..

I finished the Bootcamp 3 video tonight with a major victory, so that's an easy one! I'll be posting it in a couple hours.

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 43
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 7:15:00 AM   
gregb41352

Jason I have a very strange problem in that when I either press control (to fire) or click the 'change from movement to fire' icon and then
try to place the cross-hairs on an enemy unit, the map jumps away from that hex. I hope I'm describing it well enough. Very strange.
I can upload my save file (playing any scenario is the same). I have applied the day 1 patch. If I'm not being clear please let me know.

Post #: 44
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 7:16:22 AM   
Jason Petho

Yes, it seems that is an issue with the "Windows Edge" option, try using either the Scroll bars or the Screen Edge option.. you can find these under OPTIONS - SCROLLING

(in reply to gregb41352)
Post #: 45
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 9:26:12 AM   
Zap

Decided to get into this war. Made my purchase 2:00am Vegas time. the town that never sleeps. Looking forward to some satisfying gaming.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 46
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 9:41:23 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Decided to get into this war. Made my purchase 2:00am Vegas time. the town that never sleeps. Looking forward to some satisfying gaming.

Thank you for your support, Zap!

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 47
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 11:41:10 AM   
Phoenix100

Where are these video playthroughs, Jason? Can't find them in here, though I guess they're here somewhere...

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 48
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 11:43:25 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phoenix100

Where are these video playthroughs, Jason? Can't find them in here, though I guess they're here somewhere...

Hi @Phoenix100, you can find the links to our Twitch and YouTube videos in the War Room subforum.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 49
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 11:46:33 AM   
Phoenix100

Ok. Thanks.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 50
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 12:42:53 PM   
Massattack

I killed a civvie or two too many, and took some casualties, so lost my first bootcamp one go.....

To paraphrase the famous Hans Solo....."I have a --GOOD--- Feeling about this"....!

I can see myself sinking a lot of time in to this title in the coming weeks...congrats!

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 51
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 12:51:55 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Massattack

I killed a civvie or two too many, and took some casualties, so lost my first bootcamp one go.....

To paraphrase the famous Hans Solo....."I have a --GOOD--- Feeling about this"....!

I can see myself sinking a lot of time in to this title in the coming weeks...congrats!

Thank you @Massattack, I am glad you are enjoying it

(in reply to Massattack)
Post #: 52
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 12:53:38 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: budd

Was going to wait until this weekend to pick this up, but couldn't resist. won't get much time to play the grand kid is visiting, but there is always nap time

The install went fine, opened up the biggest scenario and everything moved fine, scrolling, zoom both were fine. Whoever did the map graphics did a damn fine job, especially the 2d looks real good.

Vietnam isn't my favorite, but neither was CSME but it's one of my favorites now. Maybe because all the armor. I am really looking forward to the CSME upgrade.

Just popped in to say thanks for all your work and good luck and success on the launch, well done guys.

Thanks @budd, I am glad to hear you are enjoying the game, and yes: the 2D map upgrade with added details for Vietnam is on its way to Middle East as well

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 53
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 1:49:02 PM   
theWombat

quote:

ORIGINAL: devoncop

quote:

I do find the unit data a bit confusing, as for instance there does not seem to be a convenient way to find out what specific weapons a unit is using, or their fire values? Most of it is pretty logical though, as the units are not that exotic.

Select the unit then hit F2

Gives you all the data you need on the unit/weapons/effective ranges etc.

The info is a bit wonky though, in that I don't see any specific weapons listed, the range table is a bit cryptic (the different colors are not labeled for instance IIRC), and much of the combat data refers to things that themselves need to be explained, such as the stuff under the capabilities section. I mean, it works ok, but it could be a lot more friendly and clear cut IMO.

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 54
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 2:00:49 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

The info is a bit wonky though, in that I don't see any specific weapons listed, the range table is a bit cryptic (the different colors are not labeled for instance IIRC), and much of the combat data refers to things that themselves need to be explained, such as the stuff under the capabilities section. I mean, it works ok, but it could be a lot more friendly and clear cut IMO.

Alas, with 12 nations and hundreds upon hundred unit and platoon types, the Unit text portion of unit data is now automatically generated based on unit data itself. That said, you raise a good point with unit capabilities, for instance. While those are found in Manual, we do not in general want to RTFM. But I can instead explain those in the unit description text portion instead.

Maybe even for 1.01 UPDATE already... Would that be helpful?

Edit: Red graph is Hard Attack value, blue graph is Soft Attack value. X-axis is range, which is a dynamic range, as ranges in various weapons systems vary greatly. Oh, and Y-axis is dynamic as well, for the same reason.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Crossroads -- 1/21/2022 2:04:03 PM >

(in reply to theWombat)
Post #: 55
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 3:32:05 PM   
TomWalton

Only had time for one Bootcamp so far but, wow! Amazing! Big thanks to all involved in developing it -- you've done a really terrific job!

One request: I think we're going to need an automatic shut down and mandatory R&R for anyone who has played for 12 hours straight ;-) !

Post #: 56
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 3:35:46 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: TomWalton

Only had time for one Bootcamp so far but, wow! Amazing! Big thanks to all involved in developing it -- you've done a really terrific job!

One request: I think we're going to need an automatic shut down and mandatory R&R for anyone who has played for 12 hours straight ;-) !

Thank you, @TomWalton! Ha, I wish!

(in reply to TomWalton)
Post #: 57
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 3:56:02 PM   
Jason Petho

Thank you so much, Tom!

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 58
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 5:47:40 PM   
theWombat

Thanks for the info! I figured the range graph was dynamic, though that's its own set of issues of course. No perfect solution. Again, it's not a serious "flaw" more like I tend to like a bit more specificity. There isn't much space for explaining stuff for sure, and I don't have a problem with going to the manual. I think maybe rethinking the use of programmer-speak like "CanDigIn" or XFireHeloShort," which read like variable names in code might help. As it is it reads like it was pulled directly from the database, which it probably was!

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 59
RE: Very nice so far - 1/21/2022 5:52:41 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

Thanks for the info! I figured the range graph was dynamic, though that's its own set of issues of course. No perfect solution. Again, it's not a serious "flaw" more like I tend to like a bit more specificity. There isn't much space for explaining stuff for sure, and I don't have a problem with going to the manual.

The range provides you detail on how far you can attack against soft and hard targets.

The values themselves are calculated with a formula based on the weapons that each unit will have, as the game is platoon based, you don't have access to the individual weapons in the platoons or the . The infantry list will typically show you what weapons that particular platoon has under the nickname.

quote:

I think maybe rethinking the use of programmer-speak like "CanDigIn" or XFireHeloShort," which read like variable names in code might help. As it is it reads like it was pulled directly from the database, which it probably was!

Yes, it was pulled right from the database. Keep in mind there are thousands of platoons, literally, so creating something specific for each particular unit is far beyond our scope.

Additional information can be modded later, of course.

(in reply to theWombat)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> RE: Very nice so far Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI