Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Next Patch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Next Patch Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Next Patch - 1/27/2022 6:24:16 PM   
AlvaroSousa

FYI working on all the recommendations and bug fixes for the next 1-4 days to release a new full patch for both games.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Post #: 1
RE: Next Patch - 1/27/2022 7:02:26 PM   
BJGeary

Awesome!

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 2
RE: Next Patch - 1/27/2022 10:45:22 PM   
Staufenberg44

Once again fine work. The more I get into WPP, the more I appreciate it, in particular the elegant handling of various sub-games like trade, diplomacy, partisans, COMMINT, oilers for fleets, trucks for land supply, upgrading with research and unit attributes, and the overall impact of submarines. I'm really impressed with an overall design simplicity that still manages to portray complex elements.

This is chrome, and I am sure you have thought of it, but active trade routes for your side might be illustrated with little ship sprites moving along them, with a different image, speed or colour depending upon enemy interdiction (or not). Perhaps a task for your Significant Other when she has a break!

Carry on with the great work.

< Message edited by Staufenberg44 -- 1/27/2022 10:46:26 PM >

(in reply to BJGeary)
Post #: 3
RE: Next Patch - 1/27/2022 11:18:52 PM   
*Lava*

Great News!

Will the patch effect on-going games?

I've just started a new 1941 Small Fleet Campaign.

(in reply to Staufenberg44)
Post #: 4
RE: Next Patch - 1/28/2022 8:58:24 AM   
Lord_Calidor

Awesome!
Is there a fix/features list for it?
If I can suggest, dunno how hard it would be to implement - a filter or a separate buttons for the Units list in Reports. Eg. If I'd like to view just the land units, and then sort them by their type and/or advancement. Also, would be awesome if those lists would remember my last filter, sort and position.

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage.

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 5
RE: Next Patch - 1/31/2022 4:09:37 PM   
AlvaroSousa

I have a list but I don't release it until I am done working on it. Otherwise I would be answering questions all day.

I will say all of you will be very happy with 1 specific feature I managed to add to the game without changing the data.

Now you can separately set a unit to reinforce or reinforce/upgrade. You can't set it upgrade no reinforce. But you wouldn't want to upgrade a 1/30 unit anyways and have it be destroyed. This should help the Russian Front.

As well as a new overrun change. 7:1+ AND the unit needs to be 1/3rd strength of its max or less. In A.I. vs A.I. testing this change was good in the 1941 scenario.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Lord_Calidor)
Post #: 6
RE: Next Patch - 1/31/2022 5:32:49 PM   
Remington700

These are excellent changes!

Post #: 7
RE: Next Patch - 1/31/2022 5:54:02 PM   
BJGeary

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlvaroSousa
As well as a new overrun change. 7:1+ AND the unit needs to be 1/3rd strength of its max or less. In A.I. vs A.I. testing this change was good in the 1941 scenario.

This is going to drastically change the fighting in China. I have done many, many 10:1 overruns of 15-18 strength Chinese armies, which won't be possible in future games right? Any corps/army with 11+ (of 30) strength cannot be overrun, even at 10:1?

Post #: 8
RE: Next Patch - 2/1/2022 3:40:35 AM   
AlvaroSousa

Yea it was really brutal on the Russian Front. Sometimes full armies exploded off the screen. It creates for a better game that lasts till 1945.

It's tough to gauge it though. Some players want addition retreat options for units but what one wants the other does not.

So I make it like what would the general in the field do? A weak army that doesn't have enough men to cover the front, 1/3rd or less, gets plowed.

A unit that has enough men can communicate "hey we are getting killed here" and the unit retreats before destroyed.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to BJGeary)
Post #: 9
RE: Next Patch - 2/1/2022 4:00:26 AM   
Staufenberg44

With the Russians 41-42, communications was their key failure, right from small tank units (no radios) right up through a decimated high officer command structure... until the Germans got over-extended and slowed down by terrain, supply and weather, and then the Stavka was finally able to get some sort of sensate communications happenning.

I would target Stalin's famous command in '42 as the Germans were closing on Stalingrad - "Ni shagu nazad!" ("Not one step backwards"). After the following debacle in the Don bend Stalin, unlike the volatile amateur boardgamer Hitler, backed off from direct command for the most part and let his generals handle things operationally.

The rest is history. This was a big factor in German successes early on, and their failures later. Communication.

Post #: 10
RE: Next Patch - 2/1/2022 1:46:35 PM   
AlvaroSousa

But this isn't a historical recreation, its a wargame. The fact that the Russian player prepares a defense for a 1941 invasion means they are taking less casualties than they should. The fact the German player doesn't make the same mistakes as history also skews this. The 30% experience of initial units was the easiest variable to adjust to account for this.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Staufenberg44)
Post #: 11
RE: Next Patch - 2/2/2022 12:28:40 AM   
GiveWarAchance

Alvaro, a bit different topic but wanted to avoid starting a small, low value thread.
In the next WP2, please consider having AI toggled control for our own allies like Strategic Command does. For example, we could set China to AI control while managing the USA and other allies. Or toggle on the British, Australians etc for AI help. In the SC game, I liked to play axis as either Japan or Germany/Italy with the other on AI control, and sometimes even put Italy on Ai control so I felt like I had teammates helping me. The Japan AI was much better than me at invading islands so I enjoyed letting them handle all their side of the war. The AI's greater skill at Japan is probably cause I spend too much money on the war against China cause I want artillery, tanks and bombers to help soften up the Chinese infantry so we can make progress but results in fewer transports and marines for invading islands.

< Message edited by GiveWarAchance -- 2/2/2022 12:30:47 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: Next Patch - 2/2/2022 3:41:38 PM   
AlvaroSousa

This is already done and 1 step better.

What I am doing is that each player takes their turn, but if you are allied and can cooperate you can still use their unit's on your turn.

So if you want to play the UK you can use the US A.I. units on your turn and vice versa.
I came up with a way to do it that if the multiplayer server allows multiple players to play it will work with that also. So each person can take a nation. Then say the German player basically says "hey Italy I am sending an armor and plane to Libya" and the Italian player can use them.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to GiveWarAchance)
Post #: 13
RE: Next Patch - 2/2/2022 5:41:54 PM   
AllenK

quote:

This is already done and 1 step better.

What I am doing is that each player takes their turn, but if you are allied and can cooperate you can still use their unit's on your turn.

So if you want to play the UK you can use the US A.I. units on your turn and vice versa.
I came up with a way to do it that if the multiplayer server allows multiple players to play it will work with that also. So each person can take a nation. Then say the German player basically says "hey Italy I am sending an armor and plane to Libya" and the Italian player can use them.

The more I hear about WP2, the better it gets.

Will it have hidden fleets in the naval side?

Post #: 14
RE: Next Patch - 2/2/2022 6:03:42 PM   
GiveWarAchance

In Strategic Command, we can also use the AI controlled allied units, but I never touched Japan's stuff cause I wanted them to have full control and do their own plan. But for Italy I had to move their stuff sometimes like the units they sent to Russia would be too aggressive. It was impressive to see the Italy AI trying to help out in the Eastern front.

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 15
RE: Next Patch - 2/3/2022 2:06:13 AM   
BJGeary

Al, for either a future update to WPE/WPP or for WP2 would you consider improving the forces and casualties screens to show the quantity of each naval unit type (CVs, BBs, etc.) rather than strength points? For air and ground strength points is fine but for naval a strength point of transports or torpedo boats is vastly less important than that of a CV or BB.

< Message edited by BJGeary -- 2/3/2022 2:08:04 AM >

(in reply to GiveWarAchance)
Post #: 16
RE: Next Patch - 2/3/2022 11:18:53 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Yea. WP2 will have individual capital ships.

< Message edited by AlvaroSousa -- 2/3/2022 11:22:59 PM >

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to BJGeary)
Post #: 17
RE: Next Patch - 2/7/2022 10:12:13 PM   
Staufenberg44

quote:

But this isn't a historical recreation, its a wargame. The fact that the Russian player prepares a defense for a 1941 invasion means they are taking less casualties than they should. The fact the German player doesn't make the same mistakes as history also skews this. The 30% experience of initial units was the easiest variable to adjust to account for this.

I understand the difference. But you have endeavoured to make this as much "historically-derived" as possible and have done a fine job of it. The naval/air battles in particular were a difficult thing to model.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Next Patch Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI