Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 9/23/2003 1:56:15 AM   
rbrunsman

Tiger, I never buy the KingTigers unless I'm playing a newbie and then it's only for fun. What's a KingTiger cost? About 250? I can buy about 8 squads of Rangers with that. Who do you think is going to win that battle? In a real battle you don't want "all your eggs in one basket" as we say. I suggest you start a campaign in 1939 as the Germans and just work your way through the war. As you progress, you will get to see the new equipment as it is introduced and you will have to learn tactics to defeat the other countries as there equipments gets better than yours. (e.g. try taking out a Matilda with a Pz38(t) using the Tiger and Panther tactics you've developed. You'll get crushed even by the AI.) The real fun and strategy of the game is in using limited resources to defeat a superior (or equal at least) enemy. I think it is OK to use the late war equipment to learn the mechanics of the game because you can make more mistakes and still survive to learn a lesson. But, once you know how the game works, you really should start in the early war years and learn some real combined arms tactics. You should also play with all reality options on (limited ammo, reduced squads, breakdowns, etc. except C&C unless you like that kind of thing (I don't)). Unlimited rockets is really not a good way to play. I'd be happy to PBEM you and teach you some things.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to TigerOfChaos)
Post #: 1
- 9/23/2003 3:22:38 AM   
Svennemir

[QUOTE]I’m not sure it’s even possible to hit the rear of a vehicle if you’re firing from the front.[/QUOTE]

If this issue has not been touched recently, it *is* technically possible. In 7.1 when the Splash Damage fix was applied, there arose a technical possibility of hitting any (non-bottom) location on a vehicle. Another side effect is the possibility of hitting a vehicle twice with one shot.

The game first checks for direct hit, and then afterwards checks for splash damage. Since 7.1, splash damage was not applied to units under targetted fire; which meant sometimes it was better to use the "attack hex" than specifically target the unit. That was for obvious reasons not very good, so it was changed. The changes of the aforementioned side effects to occur are very slim and were not considered a problem.

This fix also explains the increased suppression vehicles get when fired upon, especially by light arms (this is somewhat more of a serious issue, but I think it was in fact possible to do the same thing in earlier versions as well using "attack hex")

In case any of you care.

(in reply to TigerOfChaos)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI