Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Battlefields! Official Scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> Battlefields! Official Scenarios Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Battlefields! Official Scenarios - 9/24/2003 2:15:30 AM   
Erik Rutins

After many inquiries, I thought I should post up a list of what the final scenario list should be. Along the way we've lost a few and gained a few, with the end result that the initial release of Battlefields! will be weighted towards the Eastern Front with a smaller selection of scenarios from other theaters. Battlefields! is designed to handle all the theaters of World War II and we plan to address the others in more depth with official expansions after the main release. More information on these will be available when we get close to release. Since Battlefields! includes a full scenario editor, you'll have at your disposal all the tools necessary to re-create any theater and battle that is of particular interest to you.

Without further ado, the official scenario list (sorted by designer name and scenario name)...

Harrizabalagater, Iñaki - Krasnograd
Harrizabalagater, Iñaki - Supercharge
Kettunen, Jyri - Belyi
Kettunen, Jyri - Okinawa
Kettunen, Jyri - Tali-hantala
Marshall, Trey - Fortress Holland
Marshall, Trey - Hell's Highway
Marshall, Trey - Market Garden
McBride, Daniel - Gazala
McBride, Daniel - Perekop
McBride, Daniel - Trappenjagd
McBride, Daniel - Voronezh
Mutanen, Ilkka - Hell on Ice
Mutanen, Ilkka - Nurmijärvi/Tutorial
Mutanen, Ilkka - Tolvajärvi
Voylov, Pavel - Berdichev
Voylov, Pavel - Berezina
Voylov, Pavel - Dubno
Voylov, Pavel - Khalkhin-Gol
Voylov, Pavel - Kiev

Best Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 1
- 9/24/2003 6:45:31 AM   
sol_invictus

Sounds great; can't wait!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 2
- 10/14/2003 9:08:30 PM   
gambler

I love that there are Finnish scenarios in this. I'm curious about the "Hell on Ice" scenario, is this a larger scenario? Anyhow, these look great.

Post #: 3
- 10/18/2003 2:14:24 PM   
grosbil

My WWII culture is so poor, Erik, could we have more informations about scenarios (date and place)??? Here I think Krasnograd is Kharkov 42, Supercharge is El Alamein 42, Okinawa 45, Fortress Holland 40, Hell's Higway is Market Garden 44, Gazala is Tobrouk 42, Voronezh 42, Nurmijärvi and Tolvajärvi are Finish war (39). But, what about Belyi, Tali-Hantala, Perekop, Trappenjagd, Hell on Ice, Berdichev, Berezina, Dubno, Khalkin-Gol and Kiev ? What is the difference between Hell's Higway and Market Garden?

Post #: 4
RE: - 2/11/2004 11:09:12 AM   
Jane Doe

which one is the biggest or the shortest scenario amongst those scenarios and what's the number of turns for them?

Ainsi dans le courage et ainsi dans la peur, ainsi dans la misère et ainsi dans l'horreur.

"first you need a tear, just a tear of gin......and then a river of tonic"

(in reply to grosbil)
Post #: 5
RE: - 2/28/2004 6:24:00 PM   
Ozie

quote:

ORIGINAL: grosbil

My WWII culture is so poor,
Erik,

But, what about Tali-Hantala, Khalkin-Gol

Tali-Ihantala is the summer 44 defence of Finnish forces in Karelian Isthmus agains the Soviet assault. The decising battles were fought over cross roads near villages of Tali and Ihantala.

Khalkin-Gol is Soviet action against the Japanese (IIRC in 1939) This was the first(but not last) great victory of Soviet general Zukhov.

(in reply to grosbil)
Post #: 6
RE: RE: - 3/1/2004 2:31:09 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

I love that there are Finnish scenarios in this. I'm curious about the "Hell on Ice" scenario, is this a larger scenario? Anyhow, these look great.

Soviet offensive operation over the Gulf of Viipuri during the final weeks of the Winter War 1939-40.

quote:

But, what about Belyi, Tali-Hantala, Perekop, Trappenjagd, Hell on Ice, Berdichev, Berezina, Dubno, Khalkin-Gol and Kiev ? What is the difference between Hell's Higway and Market Garden?

Belyi is set during Operation Mars, a major Soviet offensive during 1942 (sometimes referred to as Zhukov's greatest defeat).

I think Perekop is the gateway to the Crimea.

Tali-Hantala is set during the July 1944 Soviet offenive into Finland.

Trappenjagd is set in the Crimea. A major victory for Erich Von Manstein in 1942.

Hell on ice is from the final weeks of the Winter war in 1939-40.

Berditchev is set in the first days of Operation Barbarossa.

Kiev is part of the fighting on the western bank of the Dnieper before Kiev in 1941.

Dubno is a real monster recreating the major Russian attack on Army Group South's Panzer Group in June 1941.

Berezina is set in July 1941 in Army Group Centre's theatre of operations.

Hells Highway concerns just the XXX Corp advance to Eindhoven, whilst Market Garden is the whole thing from XXX Corp jump off points to north of Arnhem.

quote:

which one is the biggest or the shortest scenario amongst those scenarios and what's the number of turns for them?

Dubno is the biggest in terms of size, this is the entire battle. Okinawa is the longest.

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to Ozie)
Post #: 7
RE: RE: - 3/1/2004 3:04:57 PM   
Bart_Breedyk

Nothing in Sicily/Italy hmmmm? Time to purchase some research material!

That is, assuming Battlefields is due out shortly (hint, hint)

Game slut

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 8
RE: RE: - 3/1/2004 7:04:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

There have been a few additions to the scenario list, some in the Sicily/Italy area. I'll post an updated list this week along with a poll. We are trying to decide between several additional possible scenarios for this release and we just can't make up our minds. We'll put it in your hands which one of the bunch gets the green light.

Look for that around Wednesday.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Bart_Breedyk)
Post #: 9
RE: RE: - 3/1/2004 8:28:00 PM   
SwampYankee68

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

There have been a few additions to the scenario list, some in the Sicily/Italy area. I'll post an updated list this week along with a poll. We are trying to decide between several additional possible scenarios for this release and we just can't make up our minds. We'll put it in your hands which one of the bunch gets the green light.

Regards,

- Erik

If you include a few from Italy, I hope that does not prevent a full expansion set for that theater. I am hoping that after the game is released, that there will be full scenario/campaign cds/purchasable downloads for Italy, North Africa, Overlord and Operation Cobra, The pacific theater, etc.

Putting the cart before the horse, I know, but....

"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

Post #: 10
RE: Battlefields! Official Scenarios - 5/14/2004 11:54:52 AM   
Guerrero

I noticed that of all the official scenarios there are none depicting the latter part of the Soviet-German War, i.e. 1943-1945. Any particular reason for that?

Regards,
Greg

Post #: 11
RE: Battlefields! Official Scenarios - 5/14/2004 9:17:15 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Guerrero

I noticed that of all the official scenarios there are none depicting the latter part of the Soviet-German War, i.e. 1943-1945. Any particular reason for that?

Regards,
Greg

Because the scenario designers really hate Soviet operational art?

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Guerrero)
Post #: 12
RE: Battlefields! Official Scenarios - 5/14/2004 10:16:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keke

Oh, indubitably.

Greg, it just turned out that way, several designers had some excellent early war East Front research and we went with it. With a full scenario editor and scenario expansions planned, I'm sure there will be plenty of later war scenarios after release. With that said, some of these early scenarios are very challenging for the German side!

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 13
RE: Battlefields! Official Scenarios - 5/20/2004 12:50:18 PM   
Guerrero

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keke

Long live Suomi?

Seriously, glad to see BF! is coming along. Don't worry, Erik, I will likely design a few scenarios after the game goes gold - to highlight the development of Soviet operational art August Storm would be a neat one even.

Regards,
Greg

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 14
RE: RE: Official Scenarios - 3/18/2005 4:12:55 AM   
Deathtreader

Hi all,

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

The forum has been pretty quiet lately, so just for discussion's sake.............. is there an updated list of scenarios??

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

Post #: 15
RE: RE: Official Scenarios - 3/23/2005 11:59:12 AM   
Trigger Happy

Yeah, how about an updated list? There's at least 2 to add, Salerno and Epsom.

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 16
RE: Battlefields! Official Scenarios - 7/11/2005 7:37:16 PM   
hank

This is an empressive list. But some of the names don't do much to describe the battle. "market garden" is obvious but some like "hell on ice" aren't. (Is "hell on Ice" Korsun Pocket, or the ardennes offensive, or ?). Can someone provide a little more detail to those that don't specifically name the battle?

Plus, I haven't seen a recent update as to when this wonderful strategy game is going to be released. IS there an official release date now for "Combined Armes"? I'm holding up my spending for this game but the urge to buy is burning a hole in my pant pocket.

hank

quote:

After many inquiries, ... [snippet]
Without further ado, the official scenario list (sorted by designer name and scenario name)...

Harrizabalagater, Iñaki - Krasnograd
Harrizabalagater, Iñaki - Supercharge
Kettunen, Jyri - Belyi
Kettunen, Jyri - Okinawa
Kettunen, Jyri - Tali-hantala
Marshall, Trey - Fortress Holland
Marshall, Trey - Hell's Highway
Marshall, Trey - Market Garden
McBride, Daniel - Gazala
McBride, Daniel - Perekop
McBride, Daniel - Trappenjagd
McBride, Daniel - Voronezh
Mutanen, Ilkka - Hell on Ice
Mutanen, Ilkka - Nurmijärvi/Tutorial
Mutanen, Ilkka - Tolvajärvi
Voylov, Pavel - Berdichev
Voylov, Pavel - Berezina
Voylov, Pavel - Dubno
Voylov, Pavel - Khalkhin-Gol
Voylov, Pavel - Kiev

Best Regards,

- Erik

Post #: 17
RE: RE: - 7/12/2005 12:26:51 AM   
cabron66

quote:

Trappenjagd is set in the Crimea. A major victory for Erich Von Manstein in 1942.

Regards,
IronDuke

What was this one? The name doesn't ring any bells at all, even with the clues.

Cheers

Paul

Post #: 18
RE: RE: - 7/12/2005 4:15:13 AM   
hank

quote:

ORIGINAL: cabron66

quote:

Regards,
IronDuke

What was this one? The name doesn't ring any bells at all, even with the clues.

Cheers

Paul

excellent! I prefer the eastern front personally. Its marginal because there were some great battle on both fronts but I like vast open terrain in the eastern front. Is Hell on Ice set on russian front? ... winter 1941/2? ... relief efforts for Stalingrad .. winter '42?

How about an update on release ... just a ballpark guess ?

just curious

hank

(in reply to cabron66)
Post #: 19
RE: RE: Trappenjagd - "Bustard Hunt" - 7/12/2005 7:09:19 PM   
zumHeuriger

This was the operation that cleared the eastern hald of Crimea, and captured Kerch, prior to the capture of Sevastapol. May 1942 - 150,000+ prisoners and lots of equipment.

http://www.feldgrau.com/articles.php?ID=75 has a decription neat the bottom of the article.

Cheers

Tom

(in reply to cabron66)
Post #: 20
RE: RE: Trappenjagd - "Bustard Hunt" - 7/13/2005 1:45:31 AM   
cabron66

Interesting. Some really nasty terrain to deal with. A few key crossroads and ports and not much else. Wasn't there a Soviet amphibious landing around those parts? I seem to remember the Germans having to deal with something of the sort before they moved on Sevastopol.

Cheers

Paul

(in reply to zumHeuriger)
Post #: 21
RE: RE: Trappenjagd - "Bustard Hunt" - 7/13/2005 2:04:23 AM   
wodin

Any Italian scenarios?

How about Cassino and the Liri valley?

(in reply to cabron66)
Post #: 22
RE: RE: Trappenjagd - "Bustard Hunt" - 7/13/2005 2:26:21 AM   
IronDuke_slith

Wodin,
You are in luck.

Geozero recently sent me a map of the area of the Cassino line. We plan to do the fourth battle, and just possibly the Anzio area as well, maybe even in one giant scenario. It's next on my to do list when I have worked out all the reinforcement hexes for Sedan 40.

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 23
RE: RE: Trappenjagd - "Bustard Hunt" - 7/13/2005 1:57:33 PM   
Arckon

Still adding scenario's from near scratch from the sound of last post at this stage?

I am not normally negative when posting but this doesn't give me the impression this game is going to release soon if this is the case.

Pity, as am really looking forward to this and I thought current roster of scenarios was pretty darn good.

You need to leave yourselves some follow up scenarios for the obligatory follow up title you know.

Post #: 24
RE: RE: Trappenjagd - "Bustard Hunt" - 7/13/2005 9:59:03 PM   
geozero

Arckon,

Don't despair... the game is well on its way. However, there have been a great many new features implemented on request of testers, desogners and even from public posts. These take time to program and code, and I think that players would rather have a fully functional game system than a half baked product.

I too want to see this game completed, and an always excited about new features. I believe that when it is done and commercially available, the gaming community will take notice of the game based on its merits and features, and not to mention the hard work from all involved.

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.

(in reply to Arckon)
Post #: 25
RE: RE: Trappenjagd - "Bustard Hunt" - 7/14/2005 2:03:19 AM   
wodin

Im willing to wait. The more scenario's the better.

Its a game thats has appeared on my wish list.

Sad for me that all the games I really want are on a list with little hope of a soone to be release from any of them

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 26
RE: RE: Trappenjagd - "Bustard Hunt" - 7/14/2005 3:40:08 AM   
Arckon

quote:

Geozero wrote:
the game is well on its way. However, there have been a great many new features implemented on request of testers, desogners and even from public posts. These take time to program and code, and I think that players would rather have a fully functional game system than a half baked product.

I agree a 100% with that, my post though was about adding new from scratch scenario's now.

Sorry perhaps I am just being impatient which is not normally like me, but wouldn't not adding anymore scenario's now quicken up the above process of newly implemented coding and programing?

Still as Wodin mentioned I suppose the more scenario's the better. So keep up the good work.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 27
RE: RE: Trappenjagd - "Bustard Hunt" - 7/14/2005 3:48:19 AM   
IronDuke_slith

Arckon,
What I would say, is that Geo and I joined the team after the first raft of scenarios were built. You'll note that as of Sept 03 when the post was written, none of ours are in there. After a while (maybe 12-15 months ago) we were allowed to try our hand at moving from testers to scenario designers, but that is essentially why we are still working. All other designer's scenarios are all largely complete bar the usual continual testing and tweaking, and have been for a while. Geo and I also did the Forum vote scenario last year, and the reason we're still working is that when we finish one, we get a grand idea for another. The fact we as a pair as still working is not indicative of the current state of the game. We design when not playing/testing so work is ongoing.

In terms of the game's current state and plans for release, that should come from one of the Project Managers, I'm just the help. However, I can say I have three games ongoing with the engine playtesting different scenarios and loving them all. Movement and Combat, the air and naval model, fortifications, C&C and much else besides is all there and stable.

I'm sure Erik will give an update with details of future plans, but the more I play, the more impressed I become. This will set a new standard for hex based wargames and become the industry standard. I don't say that lightly, I have thousands of hours of TOAW under my belt, I know what a class wargame looks like.

Things are well advanced, please keep the faith....

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 28
RE: RE: Trappenjagd - "Bustard Hunt" - 7/14/2005 4:23:11 AM   
scsfan

"
quote:

I don't say that lightly, I have thousands of hours of TOAW under my belt, I know what a class wargame looks like.

Great! I was always looking for a hex game combines the good features of TOAW and V4V, now it looks very promissing.

thanks for the good work!

Post #: 29
RE: RE: Trappenjagd - "Bustard Hunt" - 7/14/2005 4:30:41 AM   
Arckon

quote:

Things are well advanced, please keep the faith....

Regards,
IronDuke

Sorry guys,

I normally hate reading posts like mine from other people I always think something along the lines of "geez get a life" or some such thing.
Think I was just surprised scenarios were still being added.

Apologies, and as I said before keep up the good work.

(in reply to scsfan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> Battlefields! Official Scenarios Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI