Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 10/1/2003 7:51:42 PM   
Caranorn

And then there are beaches, ports and other areas that need defending against invasion, they are not all that hard to mine either. Any form of transport or short range (fire) vessel should be pretty vulnerable on Transport, Fast Transport or Bombardment missions against mined targets. Though I have to agree with the game when it coms to cruisers and battleships, except for straits, these ships should rarelly be in danger from mines (I've seen at least one CA run on a mine, but that was with a thick belt three hexes deep and partially in straits, so the probability would have been high).

It should also be noted that offshore mine belts were regularly laid in WWII, I do not know whether that was common practice in the Pacific though. In European waters such obstacles were impassable for capital ships until mine sweepers had a day or two of work (to clear channels, not the whole mine fields).

On the other hand I am missing air delivered mine fields in the game, most level bombers and possibly patrol aircraft should be able to drop mines as a mission. Mines should also be available from more ports. Whether this supply should be limited is another matter.

Right now, I see relatively little damage to ships from mining, notable exceptions are small crafts trying to clear the mines and slow transports lumbering through minefields. Real combat ships very rarely take damage and if they do it's not too serious.

Marc aka Caran...

P.S.: It's a pain when you play the allies and have only 4 minelayers at your service, particularly when you run into an enemy bombardment, surface or fast transport TF and lose half yours ships in one night (I learned never to employ more then one DM in a single mission that way). Submarines laying mines are at best a nuisance, not a serious option.

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI