Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 10/8/2003 3:35:06 AM   
swagman

I'll try the suggestions to improve air ops.

The question of the computer playing with historical constraints and lack of knowledge, while the human player has the benefits of ahistorical information and history comes to the crux of the point that concerns me. I do note however that the computer often does not play with historical task group formations, as it consolidates carriers into a single taskgroup if the start the game in the same hex.

There are two games options being discussed, the first is a historical simulation, the second one is a game influenced by the knowledge, information available and skills of the human player.

UV works as a historical simulation when played AI against AI. Fine, but human players don't want to simply watch the game being played for them. They buy the game in order to participate. If the game is played H2H or PBEM, it works too, because then both players have the save advantages.

However, a human player against the AI, the game fails it seems to me, because it can't work as a simulation because the human has the advantage of foreknowledge, etc. Hence, one needs to look at playability, and I think playability would be improved by changing the management of these little strikes.

As Feinder said, at the start of the war small strikes may have occurred, with each carrier acting independently with their own taskgroup. But quickly, US carrier groups usually had 4 CV/CVL in order to concentrate air power. Does UV reflect such historical changes of strategy.

(in reply to WarChild)
Post #: 1
- 10/8/2003 4:00:44 AM   
CapAndGown

[QUOTE=WarChild]Mogami.

When WITP comes out, why would we play UV instead of WITP? From what I see and read WITP is an upgraded UV with simular strat and tactical game play but over a larger area and time frame.[/QUOTE]

UV will still be a very viable game. Quite frankly, WitP is much too big for me. And I like the smaller hexes in UV (30 miles instead of 60 miles)

(in reply to WarChild)
Post #: 2
- 10/8/2003 8:11:51 AM   
Drex

[QUOTE=WarChild]Mogami.

When WITP comes out, why would we play UV instead of WITP? From what I see and read WITP is an upgraded UV with simular strat and tactical game play but over a larger area and time frame.[/QUOTE]Many of us will put aside UV when WitP comes out but there are many who do not want to play on a large canvas like the whole Pacific Ocean with hundreds of units. Its alot of work which is fun for us, Kevin, but a turn-off for others. thus UV will continue on with its own following.

(in reply to WarChild)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI