Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 10/16/2003 3:19:26 AM   
Toro

This is to no one in particular, and is completely rhetorical, so please don't anyone out there take offense.

I'm continually and completely amazed at the expectation of perfection in the gaming market (note, I say "expectation"). I'm amazed because I don't see it as existing, and with the (what I would call) minor issues with UV, folks are willing to give up. I wonder what games those folks are running to after dumping UV?

Personally, when I talk of unusable games, I speak of Civ3 (pre-fix), Lords of the Realm, 1099 (did anyone ever get that dog to run?), Total War: Shogun (CTDs), Age of Sail (CTDs), Wooden Ships & Iron Men (CTDs and other issues), and the list goes ever on. I wish I could list the games I tossed because they didn't work AT ALL. And, to make matters worse with these things, few of them were even looked at for fixes afterwards. And none of them were as complex and as intriguing as UV, which continued to improve (and I expect will do so after WitP). Lastly, none of these companies were even willing to entertain suggestions for improvement from the field (ie, us) before Matrix came along. Only Paradox seems to mimic the Matrix development ethic these days. Yes, I'd love for a perfect complex-and-engrossing game to come out, but I don't expect it. What I do expect is one that is usable and whose irritating bugs will be ironed out.

It's unfortunate that a few folks have decided to leave UV behind. We've all been given a rather unique opportunity here: to help identify issues which will lead to their fix (I've participated in a few myself already here). This opportunity doesn't arise very often in the computer gaming world. You can leave the game behind, or you can help isolate where that naggling item is, how it's created, how to duplicate it, more than likely see it go away in the future, and see a good game become great. Wish I could have said that about some of those promising concepts I'd seen in the past, but instead simply had to watch them diminish into oblivion. Or, I could go back and reload Total War, and try to get it to run this time... But then, there's always a movie on -- but that script's already written, isn't it? :D

(in reply to akulas)
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI