Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 10/24/2003 9:23:21 AM   
WarLover

I would like to see CWiF to be as much like the Boardgame as possible.
Anyone who has played it for any lenght of time and is still playing it to this day, is not going to settle for less than the whole. The inter-relationship between Air, Land and Sea battles, taking place across the globe, Axis vs Allies is what WiF is about. Ebb and flow, memorable defenses against the odds, overwhelming force, diplomatic choices and economic plans. All rolled into one neat game.

A computer version that allows for each expansions to be added at a later time, for greater complexity and historical realism is a game of dreams. Releasing just the basic Classic WiF, no expansions, with an AI, could very well make a classic Computer game for beginners and vets alike that could easily stand the test of time. That includes the short attention span of some. Get the Foundation right and the "smarter" AI and expansions can come later. IMHO

WiF is a thinking man's game. Once you learn the how to build, move and execute your plans. You find time and distance to be just as much an obstacle as your opponent. With no set end of turn, many plans may get shelved and/or continued over many turns. Axis or Allies your choices expand with every move and countermove.

The beta version, released for testing has a planet size map, at the same scale across the world. I applaude this decision. The boardgame for space requirements could not be enlarged any more than it has been with the latest maps. No more calculating "pacific" map scale and "European" scale and "Offmap" box scale. Granted you lose the grand perspective maps on a table give you, but hey it is not limited within your mind.
(Maybe some kind of Print map could be included for the times between turns to ponder some grand battle).
For this is a long game. Think 50+hours. With 4 players and myself, we played one game that lasted 2 months, playing every weekend and 1 night a week. Took up half the house and needed to be protected from "accidents". We were younger fanatics back then. Spending the night and continuing the next day.

I am very motivated to see this game become reality. There is nothing like it out there. I see it as the only real boardgame to become a computer version, with a chance, to have a real fan base, now that Matrix has picked it up.
Glad to see Matrix and ADG come together for the boardgamers still out there.

Heck, i'll even donate my time to see this project to completion. Look forward to more updates and its own disscussion area in the future.

Courage is fear singing a hymn arranged for four voices.
Fear passes. But leaves a record of its stay.
You want to be brave. You also want to be.
But your greatest danger is from your fellow human beings.

(in reply to James Taylor)
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote