Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: RE:

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 2/9/2004 10:43:44 PM   
dinsdale

First games were with the smaller airfix soldiers, especially the pontoon bridge :)

Boardgame; Diplomacy, sort of counts and , that whetted the appetite for a real wargame which was either War and Peace or 3rd Reich.

PC Game; Not a PC, a TRS-80 game the name of which I cannot remember. It was a wargame with Rome Vs Carthage, had pretty much all the components of a modern game, including a reproducable crash everytime there was a siege in Genoa :)

(in reply to riverbravo)
Post #: 31
RE: RE: - 2/10/2004 11:02:29 PM   
pauk

I'm not sure but i think it was Johnny Reb on C64. Later, i spett countless hours as german chief in command - Russia - wow, it was one 5'25 disk. Anyway, one of best games i ever played till now

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 32
RE: RE: - 2/12/2004 3:53:00 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

1st wargames in the broader sense: Blue Max, Destroyer and Silent Service on the C64. 1st strategy wargame: Crusade in Europe, also on the C64. Still play the PC emulation of the latter on occasion - the 'issue commands/receive reports' system is unbeaten.

Edit: Now that Harald1050 mentions it, first PC wargames was GNB a.k.a. Burning Steel II, too. Bought my first PC only because I wanted to play that game.

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 2/12/2004 10:24:26 PM >

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 33
RE: RE: - 2/12/2004 8:37:54 AM   
Randy

Like many of you I first got started with ROCO Minitanks (which I still collect when I have time), and Airfix army men. My first board game was AH Battle of the Bulge, which I got as a kid. Later I got Tactics II. I was some what dissapointed with the unit types that I made my own (Marines, paratroopers, and Mtn infantry). I didn't really enjoy the time it took to set up. My first computer game was The Perfect General. At the time I thought this was a pretty good game. I haven't seen too many here list this game. From here I went to SP (and all the variations). I still think the SP series is the best out there. I don't think you can beat this game for all the variations you can play. But, I guess wait till Combat Leader!

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 34
RE: First Games - 2/12/2004 10:11:31 AM   
sabreman1966mcs

My first boardgame has to be AH's Waterloo (with the wooden blocks). The first one I actually bought for myself was SPI's Kursk.

(in reply to riverbravo)
Post #: 35
RE: First Games - 2/12/2004 10:24:47 PM   
Harald1050

Servus!

Long time ago on the C64 i played Tigers in snow, Silent Hunter and some others.
First PC-game was Great Naval Battles II (Guadalcanal).
BoardGame: must have been Diplomacy, i guess.

@LargeSlowTarget: i have to say, i also bought my first PC to play GNB2.

Gruß
Harald

< Message edited by Harald1050 -- 2/14/2004 9:48:06 AM >

(in reply to sabreman1966mcs)
Post #: 36
RE: First Games - 2/12/2004 11:45:49 PM   
Drex

My first wargame was a boardgame that came with an SSI subscription. I believe it was "The Siege of Constantinople". My first computer wargame was "Gettysburg" by SSI. I really enjoyed their Civil War battles series: Antietam, Shiloh, etc.

(in reply to Harald1050)
Post #: 37
RE: First Games - 2/13/2004 8:13:21 AM   
Randy

Did any of you play the Mattel Intellivison games Sea Battles and Utopia? These were pretty good games way back then. I remember playing Sea Battles so much that my finger hurt from hitting the fire key so much. I actually made a splint for my finger to keep on playing. As simple as these games were, they were pretty exciting.

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI