Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 10/28/2003 1:58:29 AM   
Paul Vebber

I similarly cut my teeth on a Toys R' Us bought coppy of Third Reich - for my 11th birthday - followed by PanzerBlitz and Luftwaffe at Christmas and birthday thereafter. They were $6.95! I recently came full circle and bought the final incarnation of the Third Reich system. World at War from GMT - almost exactly 30 years later - and $140!!! It is the definitive stratgic WW2 game. Well worth the price (even now at $175)

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 1
- 10/28/2003 7:09:13 AM   
ShermanM4

[QUOTE]My grandmother got me Avalon Hill's "Bull Run" game for my 9th birthday. When I first looked at the huge box, I thought it was a giant history book (it was a "bookshelf game") which I thought was ok, but I wasn't used to reading books quite that large. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it wasn't a book at all, but a game! I was hooked from that moment on. I think within a month I was already designing variants for the game.
[/QUOTE]

Yep I had that one too! It brings tears to my eyes I got rid of it 'cus I had no one who wanted to play it with me.

The first wargame I ever played was Gary Grigsbys Command HQ on a 286 or something like that. From there I had to buy every war game on board or PC my measly childhood allowance would allow. So I found a used books store that sold used board games and thats how I ended up with games like Panzeblitz and West Front twenty years after they were made. AH was not yet out of business so I bought others like June 6th DDay, Battle of the Bulge, We the People, Across Five Aprils, The Ameican Civil War, and Axis and Allies. Good Stuff!

"Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages."

~General George Washington

Post #: 2
- 10/28/2003 5:40:15 PM   
Aga

Dien Bien Phu, a French wargame. I played it with my cousin. He played the Viet Minh, and very well, even if it was his first wargame and didn’t know anything about military history. I was ashamed by my performance…

Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone

Post #: 3
- 10/29/2003 1:50:01 AM   
JReb

You old guys may have to help me out here but when I was 11 or 12 (1975-1976) my brother bought me a game called USN. It covered the entire WITP with the paper map and counter trays. I can't remember who made it though.

Next was Squad Leader and 1776 by AH at age 12 -13. Squad Leader was intense and became my favorite for many years.

My brother could not believe that after so many years he found me playing East Front on my PC and said "Jeez, you still playing those wargames?"

"Its your fault" I told him and "Thank you"

Let me ask this, after playing wargames for so long do you find it hard to play more common games like monopoly, trivial pursuit or others? I find them incredibly boring but play to maintain social manners at friendly get togethers.

Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote