Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 8/8/2001 10:25:00 PM   
NeoWhiteWolf

In a poll situation like this on SMG's you have to remeber the classic SMG's only had certain applications.... If i had a choice between a K98 and any SMG in a standard fighting situation which is most soldiers have 25% cover or more id take the rifle....smg's were produced for City fighting and Police actions...I mean the average effective range for a rifle was 75yrds to 500yrds....the Earlier assualt rifles could do anywhere between 50yrds to 250yrds....and finally Smg's were between 15yrds to 100yrds...The germans didnt utuilize the Mp38/40 as much as they could have...They belived in standardization...8mm Rifles and 8mm LMG's..... Over all all SMG'd exceled in one or two areas...the Mp38/40 i fired could do good damaged at good distances but yet pentration wasnt there.... The Thompson 30rnd and Thompson 75/100rnd (Used limitted in Pacific theatre) had power out the wazzoo but for the early .45 pentration was a little lacking and after 30yrds the bullet starts dropping The russian SMG's were created for City fighting and suicide charges....I mean 2k men with PPSH's coming at you will do damage...But agaisnt armor and MG positions they were usless.. The STEN was a solution to a problem that could have been avoided...The US were providing Britain with Thompsons as early as 39' but Britain decided that they were to expensive so they found a way to produce a more reliable 9mm smg but came up with a gun made up of .39 cents of steel and other materials...The thopmsons sold for more then a Model T Ford... And finally on the Spanish. French, and Itallian Smg's were not to influential or more ppl would know them then the Mp40 or PPSH... Now and days the SMG is reducded to again the original plan....Police Actions...and Special Forces.... Like here in the US the Seals and Recons utilize the MP5 and variants along with SWAT and Other special Police Task Forces... So if i had to choose a good SMG i would choose the Mp38/40...... When i fired it...it felt like an extension...the Germans had a knack for making Ergonamical weapons...Like The K98 may be a little ugly at first but feels good when you fire it...

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 31
- 8/8/2001 11:56:00 PM   
acrosome

Greetings, All, I'm new to the forum, though I've browsed it for years- as long as I've played Steel Panthers, probably. For what it's worth, I'm one of those who say that discussions that run along the lines of "What XXX was the best?" are academically void. One should better specify- best for what? Call me wishy-washy if you like, but I think I make a hard argument. That said... Overall, I think that the Sten was the engineering success story of the war. The British needed a few hundred thousand if not millions of submachineguns that they could stamp out in no time, and at this the Sten was an unmitigated success. They were, as has been mentioned, very simple and easy to maintain, though hideously inaccurate and outright dangerous. But I would also state that, franlkly, these drawbacks were unimportant to the British, who had greater problems. One can- and many people have- make Stens in garage workshops. Many of the same statements can be made about the US M3 "grease gun." It was also nearly universally hated by those who used it, but it could be stamped out in the thousands unlike the weapon that it replaced, the venerable Thompson (which required quite a bit a milling during production). I'd rather be backed up by twenty guys with M3s than two with Thompsons. Another point regarding the rating of weapons is made by the PPSh. It was also dangerous, terribly inaccurate, and, frankly, ugly. But it had a beautifully chromed barrel that allowed it to use ammunition with corrosive primers that would reliably fire in the sub-zero conditions prevalent on the eastern front in winter- without pitting into uselessness. As such I would say that it was better engineered for the reqirement it was meant to fill than even the beatifully milled and fitted MP40 was. I would prefer an ugly but functioning PPSh to a beautiful but useless MP40 if my life were on the line. My final two cents... The Stg44 is no more a submachinegun that the M1 carbine was. Both fired a cartridge midway between the pistol and rifle ammunition of the time, as has been stated. The M1 was meant to replace the officers' or NCOs' pistols with a weapon with a little better effectiveness, and thus is proabably not properly an assault rifle, though some authorities have argued that position. The Stg44, though, was from it's inception designed for the functions that we today associate with the assault rifle. It's developers used nearly the exact same argument that later assault rifle deveolpers would use- that since most infantry engagements take place at less than 500 meters or so, the infantryman does not need a full-power .30 caliber cartridge such as the .30-06 or .303. Thus a lower-powered cartridge would suffice, be more controllable in rapid fire, and allow the infantryman to carry more ammunition. The whole MP43/44 mess was a semantic trick that no one really understands, though as stated above some think it was meant to deceive Hitler, who was committed to fast and cheap submachinegun production at the time. Thus the weapon was labeled MP and put into production anyway. I understand that the cat was let out of the bag when Hitler read a dispatch from the front begging for "more of these great new rifles." I'm surprised someone wasn't shot over that one. I've also been led to beleive that once Hitler was convinced of the utility of the weapon it was he, personally, who christened it "Sturmgewehr"- literally, "assault rifle." Man, that was verbose. I do ramble on. Sorry. :D

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 32
- 8/9/2001 1:18:00 AM   
G Van Horne

Hi, acrosome... I agree with most of what you say. I believe accuracy, when talking about SMG's, is not a big selling point. They were good for close combat and laying down quick return fire. Of all the mentioned smgs, I kind of like the sten. Especially for house clearing.. throw in a couple of grenades... and then throw in the sten.. Later Garth

What's the weight of a pull-thru?

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 33
- 8/9/2001 1:47:00 AM   
General Mayhem

quote:

Originally posted by acrosome: Overall, I think that the Sten was the engineering success story of the warMan, that was verbose. I do ramble on. Sorry. :D
I'm not sure is it engineering success is if it is not realiable. What I've heard of Sten, is that it far too easily jammed. Atleast those that Finnish army has had.

----------------------------- Sex, rags and and rock'n roll! ------------------------------

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 34
- 8/9/2001 2:08:00 AM   
sinner

To Tombstone, Mucius, Tropie: Yes, Sturmgewehr was originally designated as "Machine Pistol". But it was a truly assault riffle. After 1943, Wehrmacht soldiers wanted weapons with a higher ROF, like the Soviet SMGs. Mostly, they were fighting at close ranges. Well, lower ranges than at the start of the war, like cities and non-flat areas. So they wanted a weapon able to put lotsa bullets at the enemy in little time. Hitler was against it (as always. thanks God he alwas messe up the good projects, so now we are free :) But the troops really wanted and needed that weapon. Then, the General who aws in charge of the procurement and building of military stuff (was it von Manstein by then? Or someother "too good a General" that Hitler removed from the front line and sent it back to Germany?). Anyway, this guy really knew about combat and was bright. So he asked Hitler to produce a machine pistol for the panzer crews. Hitler approved that MP. Of course, this was the Sturmgewehr, and it was sent to front-line troops. The soldiers liked it very much. They made good se of it. When Hitler knew about the trick, he got furious. Nevertheless, he also learnt that the troops were using it and were very happy. So he stopped whinning. Hope you like this little piece of history :)

Sinner from the Prairy<br />"Thalassa! Thalassa!"

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 35
- 8/9/2001 6:29:00 AM   
Greenlake

The Beretta 38/42 SMG. Not well known, but it was a hell of a gun.

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 36
- 8/9/2001 6:55:00 AM   
troopie

There was a select fire version of the M1 carbine called the M2. It jammed like a baster and burned barrels like braai coals but it did the job. I read on one of these forums that someone's father had the job of converting M1s to M2s in WW2. troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 37
- 8/10/2001 6:26:00 PM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Rothery: I love the talk about the "mystical" stopping power of the .45 ACP cartridge, which has been proven beyond doubt to be a really poor performer in its military full metal jacket guise......short range curve, poor penetration, low energy transfer.
Ok I'll bite, Low energy transfer???? all of the energy from the .45 is transfered because of the 'poor penetration' we are not talking about a .357 Mag which has penetration that causes it to exit the back side of the target with lots and lots of energy left. The precentage of energy transfer from a .45 is 100%. There are two ways to get high energy, one is a light slug moving very fast the other is a heavy slug moving slowly. The .45 was designed as a large slug moving slowly so that it would not penetrate completly through the target thus imparting all of it's energy into the target. :p

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 38
- 8/10/2001 6:36:00 PM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by Rundstedt: A friend of mine began an argument about the best SMG during the war. I think it was the Russian one (don't have the time to look uo the name, you Pppshhsps or somehting), and he claims the Thompson was better. I then told him it actually depended on what situation you were planning to use it. He wouldn't listen. What's you opinion? And I would be really happy if you said I was right. :D Regards, Rundstedt
The best one is the one in your hand when you need it. :D Actually if you look into the history of the SMG you will find that they were all designed for the same purpose. The difference you see is due to manufacturing ability and phylosipy. German - fine machine, close tolerence, fine workmanship - American - sloppy tolerences to work in dirty conditions, no expense spared, good workmaship - Russian - cheap (poor workmaship but it works good), easy to use, easy to manufacture (anybody can build one)- British -cheap (uses the enemy's ammo), easy and fast to manufacture, workmanship unimportant (it works) boy this should get me in hot water :D

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 39
- 8/10/2001 10:41:00 PM   
Gen. Maczek

quote:

Originally posted by pbear: Actually if you look into the history of the SMG you will find that they were all designed for the same purpose. The difference you see is due to manufacturing ability and phylosipy. German - fine machine, close tolerence, fine workmanship - American - sloppy tolerences to work in dirty conditions, no expense spared, good workmaship - Russian - cheap (poor workmaship but it works good), easy to use, easy to manufacture (anybody can build one)- British -cheap (uses the enemy's ammo), easy and fast to manufacture, workmanship unimportant (it works) boy this should get me in hot water :D
The bottom line is this...Get all these SMG's together, submerge them in a muddy puddle, kick them about, throw them, use them as clubs, freeze them, boil them, throw them off a cliff...etc etc I would bet my last penny, that the Soviet made PPSh and perhaps the Suomi would be the only ones still capable of blazing away after this treatment...And in the end, thats all that counts. Regards. Gen. Maczek [ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: Gen. Maczek ]

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 40
- 8/12/2001 8:15:00 AM   
achappelle

The PPSH41 made a real loud squishy noise when it met some poor sucker's head. That's if they're still alive after Ivan and his five thousand comrades with SMGs missed you after blazing away for a couple seconds. Death by massive(maybe not superior) firepower.

"Molon Labe" - Leonidas @ Thermopylae (Come Get Them!!)

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 41
- 8/13/2001 8:04:00 AM   
gators

Tombstone it was a con to get Hitler's approval he was opposed to an "underpowered" weapon.

"It ain't the gun, Sonny. It's the operator" Bob the Nailer

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 42
- 8/14/2001 3:23:00 PM   
alassi

Carl-Gustav m/45...used frequently by special forces in Vietnam.

Sgt.A.Lassi FwdObserver 2nd Arctic Mortar Platoon I19/P5--Hell is not hot,its cold.

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 43
- 8/14/2001 7:56:00 PM   
JTGEN

alassi :
Carl-Gustav m/45...used frequently by special forces in Vietnam.
True, for example our Törni used it in Vietnam. When they searched his body, they found that they had found the right helicopter, by finding his personal SMG(Carl-Gustav) on the site. On the other hand it is consider a bit ****ty weapon, for what reasons I do not know.

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 44
- 8/14/2001 8:44:00 PM   
alassi

interesting story jtgen!

Sgt.A.Lassi FwdObserver 2nd Arctic Mortar Platoon I19/P5--Hell is not hot,its cold.

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI