Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Snoopers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Snoopers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Snoopers - 10/30/2003 12:41:40 PM   
mogami

Hi, IN UV scout and patrol planes are shot down by both CAP and AA. (Don't you watch the turns? ) IN WITP I had a Dutch Patrol plane that shot down a A5M when it spotted the Ryujo. Later it shot down a Ki-27 when it reconned Kuching.

Spotting in UV is pretty good. But Bosun managed to bring the entire IJN all the way to Brisbane without me seeing it. Well I spotted it when it was 2 hexes east of Rockhampton.
In my current game with Dadman I hid 2 CV at sea for several weeks before getting them close enough to his CV for me to switch to "react" to get a battle.
You have to use a little logic. If you've had 4 CV in a port for several weeks and everyday enemy recon over flies the base and then you set to sea on a clear day flying CAP and search missions and SURPRISE an enemy patrol plane spots your TF.
I never leave ships in ports the enemy is flying recon to everyday. I put into port in bad weather and I leave port in bad weather. I plot a hex several days away that is off the normal path for movement. Then depending on whether or not the TF has been spotted I weave my way toward my objective. I abort bombardment/Fast transport missions that have been spotted.

The routine keeps a pretty good track of a TF once it spots it. But it is not as automatic to find it in the first place as many people suppose. One thing that does happen is Patrol groups get really good the longer the game lasts if they are taken care of. (By 1 Jan 43 my patrol groups are usally in the 80's)

Many the time where the first I knew an enemy TF was in the neighborhood was when one of their floatplanes or CV type scout spotted my TF. Of course then I increased search and spotted them next turn. (If I did not run away)
Also comes in handy for assigning LBA missions if a Jake or Val did a recon on your base. In UV there are few bases that would require a 360 search pattern.
Even a TF at sea can leave some of the areas to friendly LBA search. Most of the TF's discovered in UV are right smack in the middle of any cone a player would assign. Get outside these cones and TF's are not spotted as often. (Very difficult to do for much of the game. But who ever holds Lunga has a very narrow search arc in order to cover most of the approaches the enemy will use.)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Snoopers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI