Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Preparing the Way

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Preparing the Way Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Preparing the Way - 8/16/2001 9:40:00 AM   
bigjim

If this camp is supposed to represent the landings in North Africa vs the Vicy French the first senario is NUTS. I mean hell the French have twice as much men and equipment than the Attacker????? Not to mention aircraft that seem to "know" where EVERY asset is??? Oh well it is erased from hard drive now, every camp that I find is not realistic gets the boot (not many of the orginal left)

Post #: 1
- 8/16/2001 9:42:00 AM   
Jack

Bigjim,
Your best bet is to play email or online that's when the challenge comes.

(in reply to bigjim)
Post #: 2
- 8/16/2001 1:44:00 PM   
skukko

Well BigJim... Sure there is so many Frenchies at the beach because they can't handle things against US with even number of men/equipment. Atleast what I do know AI is not tactical genius, it has to be *ordered* to do things, but AIs best weapon is meat to the grin and number of turns. Both these are there because of gamevalue, -to get make battle out of something that ain't battle at first thought. Gamevalue is not a historian but it reads it. mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to bigjim)
Post #: 3
- 8/17/2001 1:37:00 AM   
Alexandra

Actually, only the first scen of Preparing is against the French, and it's really not that hard of a scen. Later you fight the Germans in Africa and on Sicily. If I recall right, there's maybe 2 companies, if that, of French Infantry, a couple bunkers, two armor platoons that arrive during the fight, and the pair of Luftwaffe a/c. The first time you ever play that one, it can be hard, but that's the only time. Overall, it's not that bad. The defenders do have good LOS, which is why the a/c may seem to 'know where you are', but a/c tend to only be nasty for one pass, then they are out of bombs. Overall, it's one of the easier camp scens. As for the reply that says on line games are better, I'd disagree. I've seen a lot more iffy OOBs, tactics, etc, from the enjoyment PoV from people than I have from designed scens. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to bigjim)
Post #: 4
- 8/17/2001 11:28:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Tell us about some campaigns or scenarios that you do like Big Jim. I've heard you loud and clear about the ones you don't like. What have you found that you do enjoy? Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to bigjim)
Post #: 5
- 8/19/2001 11:38:00 AM   
bigjim

I like everyone you do Bill, but I would just like to remind you that the "chinks" in the AI can absolutely ruin a good design. In the "Preparing the Way" the first senario MINUS the aircraft would have been a challenging fight, I know you are trying to make them interesting, but not all of us are looking for the "impossible"
I guess I need you send me a tutorial on "how to make these things" and I can give a whirl and take MY turn in the barrel. I would like a tough fight but with as much historical flavor as possible, but one in which the "historical outcome" might be changed by "different tactics by the player. Anyhow the frustration of those planes doing what the player planes will not (attacking infantry alone with no vehicles around)
and killing off what was at best a skeleton crew of attackers just got my goat, but I guess I should not "spout off" [ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: bigjim ]

(in reply to bigjim)
Post #: 6
- 8/19/2001 6:09:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by bigjim:
I like everyone you do Bill, but I would just like to remind you that the "chinks" in the AI can absolutely ruin a good design. In the "Preparing the Way" the first senario MINUS the aircraft would have been a challenging fight, I know you are trying to make them interesting, but not all of us are looking for the "impossible"
[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: bigjim ]

I don't see what trouble people are having with those aircraft, this is the second message I have seen complaining about them. When I played I had command cars with their aa mg's up near the vic hexes towards the lower side of the map and a pair of m15's in the middle of the map. Both planes were driven off with damage. The armor that came in gave me more trouble, since I had horse cavalry down there as my fast infantry, and they have trouble with armor. It was an easy decisive win. My core was lighter than most, command cars, cavalry, armored cars, just a couple of real tanks, no arty. If you really want a challenge, be aware of the fact that the British LST's that the US used didn't have tall enough doors for medium armor, so the Torch landings were made with light armor only.
thanks, John. [ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: john g ]

(in reply to bigjim)
Post #: 7
- 8/19/2001 6:13:00 PM   
nexus

quote:

I guess I need you send me a tutorial on "how to make these things" and I can give a whirl and take MY turn in the barrel. I would like a tough fight but with as much historical flavor as possible, but one in which the "historical outcome" might be changed by "different tactics by the player. Anyhow the frustration of those planes doing what the player planes will not (attacking infantry alone with no vehicles around)
and killing off what was at best a skeleton crew of attackers just got my goat, but I guess I should not "spout off" [ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: bigjim ]

Greetings Frank

(in reply to bigjim)
Post #: 8
- 8/19/2001 6:22:00 PM   
nexus

quote:

hry ho. i think u are right,sir. the planes are just deadly. i tried last time with my tanks wide spreaded and attached 40mm and 12.7mm aa guns at great amounts,but these f.... planes killed some of my tanks AND infantry in nearby hexes !!! hey...that are WW2 planes,it´s not right that they hit with this accurcy opposed by much aa and that the bombs even kill much men in nearby hexes. NO...but i´m open for your ideas in this case... thanx and bye. frank PS:i tested this 3times,and every game the same..

PPS: what about the FLAMETHROWER issue in new upcoming versions of this game???? and the combat value of CREWS ?? hope it will be corrected....

Greetings Frank

(in reply to bigjim)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Preparing the Way Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI