Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC Game Page: <<   < prev  24 25 26 27 [28]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 3/27/2016 8:52:43 AM   
warspite1

A couple of things to say here:

1. There are, as far as I see it, two issues – one is optimising routes, and the second is the system of manually overriding.
2. The other is re the comments “as far as I know there has never been any mention in the forums about the overland routes” and “That that code works correctly is taken for granted”.

2. The second is the easiest to get out of the way. To say that A works but B doesn’t therefore we should be satisfied is not really the point given that B is important. As this was brought up, I believe there are/were two problems with overland routes that I have highlighted in the past (the Italian resource on the French border and the Soviets using a resource not on a railroad). They may well be sorted now, but they exist(ed). But I do not really understand what this has to do with the original point.

As for the code working being taken for granted, well I do not know how much more praise I can heap on this game or your work Steve, how many more recommendations I can give both (across numerous forums). I think my support for this project stands up to scrutiny, but that does not mean I cannot point out issues I believe are outstanding.

1. The first point is more tricky because – as someone who does not know about computing – I can only guess at the extent to which they are linked and the complexity involved in coding this stuff.

Let me make one thing crystal clear 'Note that some experienced players complain bitterly about the program's initial pass on Computed overseas routes not being what for them is 'optimal'. That is NOT my main area of frustration, although optimal can be optimal in number and/or optimal in route. You said “Note that the determination of 'optimal' is in the eye of the beholder”. When I think of optimal I think of optimal in number i.e. if the Japanese can have 12 build points this turn I want the computer to give me 12 points this turn.

It is important, and I am heartened to see that you said “As for coding the AIO, I will write code to be more thorough for optimizing routes”. That is music to the ears and, depending upon the success of that coding, may make my main bone of contention redundant. The bigger problem for me than the computer failing to “optimise” in the first place, is the sheer time-consuming ball-ache of trying to manually put the program limitations right. I have quoted the case recently whereby I simply had to give up trying to get the correct number of build points for Japan – it was easier to get a lower number than the correct number, and it took me just as much time to then get back to the first wrong number!

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/28/2016 8:05:57 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 811
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 3/27/2016 9:19:06 PM   
Centuur

Ok, with the risk of upsetting the programmer: the overseas shipment of resources and build points is not taking place according to the rules. Therefore, the whole routing system needs a lot of work on.

Trade agreements which can be satisfied, should always be satisfied first. That's not how MWIF is coded at the moment.

Apart from that problem (which should be solved), MWIF is great, but with the production planning, things are not great. The interface is too difficult. Sure, one needs to have an automatic calculation for an AI, but I would like to have some more manual control on production planning without the program saying a awful lot of times: "you can't do that", when if you look at the map, one sees that it should be able to do so.

I think MWIF needs a table which describes which ports and sea area's are adjacent to eachother, so the program knows what the shortest and most efficient way is to ship resources and build points overseas, especially since it now comes back at us. Too many times MWIF thinks it does something right, while it robs a power of a promised build point (or even a build point it can produce)...

Peter

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 812
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 5/14/2016 4:49:34 PM   
TeaLeaf

I'd like an easier way to swap all or some units (if more than one) from two different stacks.
Right now I can only swap 1 corps level unit from two stacks, which is annoyingly suboptimal in enough cases. For example: getting only 2ARM (instead of 4ARM) into two stacks that you want to attack with. Quite suboptimal.

I would also like a button for each major power that puts all its aircraft in all stacks on top. Same for divisions. Or at least, put the unit that you have just centered the map around, on top of its stack.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 813
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 5/15/2016 12:28:03 AM   
juntoalmar

For me, when I press Control+Z, I just want to undo the last move (last unit), not ALL of the moves in the phase. That would be quite helpful to me...

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

(in reply to TeaLeaf)
Post #: 814
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 5/15/2016 6:05:00 AM   
paulderynck

There is an Undo command in the unit menu that does what you want if you right click the desired unit. AAMOF it works out of sequence with the moves - or undo moves - of other units so it is very handy.

There are certain points in the turn like capturing factories or interceptions attempted or declined, where all units moved prior can no longer be undone, but that applies to the global CTRL-Z Undo as well.

Paul

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 815
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 5/15/2016 12:18:03 PM   
juntoalmar

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

There is an Undo command in the unit menu that does what you want if you right click the desired unit.

I know, but the Ctrl+Z is quicker. I tend to use it for quick undoing of the last action in any program. Let's say that for any "Undo All" that I need there are x20 "Undo Last Movement" (approximately, of course). But this may just be me (I guess, otherwise Steve would have been annoyed but that himself and changed it long ago... )

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 816
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 26 27 [28]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC Game Page: <<   < prev  24 25 26 27 [28]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI