Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Italians at war campaign - an AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Italians at war campaign - an AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Italians at war campaign - an AAR - 8/26/2001 4:32:00 PM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

Hello Everyone, This campaign has been created by an Italian gentleman ("Brutto Bob" - real name unknown) around the Italian attempted invasion of Greece in 1940. As the name of the campaign implies, you play the Italians. I pushed myself to write an AAR of this campaign as a way of saying thank you to the author. When I saw on the forum that someone had created an Italian campaign, I was interested right from the start since: 1- I tend to like "exotic" campaigns/battles (meaning out of the Germany vs. USA, USSR) mould, 2- it takes place early in the war, which tends to be my favourite period. The first step (as always) is the selection of your core force. I enjoyed that part a lot because the Italian OOB is very diverse and you have a wealth of options. You start out with 1500 points to create your force, HQ included. Recalling my approximate knowledge of the Greek campaign, I knew that the terrain was likely to be rough and that the Greek were unlikely to have a lot of armor (except maybe at a later stage if I encountered Commonwealth forces) and air support. I then decided to go for a mainly infantry force. Having played the Italians in a few user-created scenarios, I knew that Italian troops were prone to retreat very fast, and lacked in offensive punch. After reviewing all the formations on hand, I decided to go with 3 companies of Alpinis for their 1-speed, 2-higher experience (mitigating the retreat effect), 3-organisation (3 platoons of 3 squads, with 1 Brixia mortar and 1 MMG each). To support them, I bought 3 batteries of 75mm guns and 3 platoons of Lancia armored cars (the cheapest available). I rounded off my force with 1 forward observer and a battery of 20mm AA, mainly to protect the guns. This battalion-sized force therefore enabled me to field 3 "task groups" comprising each of 1 infantry "elite" company, 1 platoon (4 cars) of armoured cars and 1 gun (4 guns) battery in support.

Post #: 1
- 8/26/2001 4:35:00 PM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

1st Scenario - ASSAULT ON KALIBAKI As the Italian army lunges forward into Greece from the Albanian border, I am tasked of advancing into the Mitsova Valley in direction of Konitsa and Kalibaki. The terrain is extremely rough, and after reviewing it I decide to purchase ammo mules for my guns and transport for my troops. As I have a few points left, I decide to spend them on 3 platoons of 75mm SPAA. (The maps are oriented differently but for ease of description I will use the right-most side as being East). The upper part of the map is separated by a river, which flows in a WSW-ENE axis. This river is crossed at only one point by a bridge, at a village called Perati. The VP are distributed in 4 groups spaced along the main road which starts in the North, crosses the river at Perati, and continues in a SE direction by passing two hills and finishing at Kalibaki. I decide to put one task group north of the river, which will assault Perati by the north. The second TG will be just south of the river and will support the first by assaulting the hill that overlooks the bridge on the southern bank. The third group is the most southerly and is tasked of striking due east, sweeping the few scattered villages of enemies and eventually, if there is still time, to outflank the enemy by the south and attack Kalibaki from the south. The scenario lasted 30 turns and comprised 3 broad phases, each comprising (coincidentally) about 10 turns. First Phase The three TG advanced steadily, sweeping reconnaissance and other Greek units from their path, and preceded by a neat rolling barrage of artillery. I discovered that the enemy was quite well equipped with artillery, mainly 81mm mortars, but as we advanced steadily, the shots were always falling behind us. Around turn 7-8, First Company reached the outskirts of Perati. Increased resistance in that sector led to a slowing down of momentum and this caused the opposition mortar fire to become more accurate. To make matters worse, Second company had drifted southwards on their advance towards the east, meaning only the northernmost of its platoon was available to offer support on the hill south of the bridge. The rest of the company became embroiled in a vicious firefight in a central village, thereby delaying even more its help to First Company. The enemy, which had been assumed to possess no armor, showed up with a few armoured cars which proved to be more powerful than the Italian ones, and we had to use the 75mm SPAA that I had bought nearly as an afterthought, in an AT role. Third company (hugging the southern edge of the map) continued its progress eastwards without encountering any serious opposition, but slowed down by the unevenness of the terrain. By the end of the first phase, it was still quite far from its objectives.
Second Phase The difficulties encountered at the end of phase one continued to increase. Due to the rarity factor, I was not able to purchase APCs for all my platoons. In fact I only got enough to equip First Company with, the other had to make do with an assortment of trucks. This resulted in different speeds per formation, a problem that was compounded by the difficulty of the trucks to negotiate rough terrain. Increasingly frustrated by the growing disorder and starting to be under time pressure, I launched premature assaults on well-defended positions instead of waiting for my other troops to show up. This led to higher casualty counts and even more frustration. The whole battlefield dissolved in small-scale actions deep in forested and rough terrain, where I had to pile up squads to dislodge stubborn Greek troops holed-up in their defensive position. First Company managed to work its way through Perati by attacking it from the West and the North. By turn 12, the town had been taken but the troops were progressing only slowly atop the bridge and on the southern hill due to suppressive fire, which was not diverted due to the delayed assault of Second Company. The whole southern hill sector was not completely cleared until turn 18, and witnessed some of the most desperate hand to hand combat of the whole battle as the Alpinis had to get medieval and clear mortar nests with bayonet charges. To compound the problem, I had left after clearing Perati an Infantry platoon to guard against an eventual Greek surprise attack from the NE. That counter-attack duly came (never underestimate the sneakiness of scenario designers), but instead of the platoon attack that I expected later in the battle, I got a company assault on turn 15, which forced me to pull yet more troops from the southern hill battle to avoid the Perati defenders from being overrun. The attack was only beaten off definitively on turn 22, after a seesaw struggle through the streets, the battle line fluctuating as both sides poured reinforcements in the conflict. After working its way through the hill and the village just to its south, Second Company arrived on the northern tip of the Greek defensive line that followed a ridgeline in a NW-SE axis, protected by barbwire. Earlier on, the southernmost platoon of 2nd Co. had been beaten off after attempting a frontal assault on the ridge (yes, stupid I know but indicative of my growing frustration. Besides, the one that has never attempted an ill-advised assault to grab those tantalising VPs just 3 little hexes away, please raise your hand). After that bloody repulse, I attempted to flank the ridge with the rest of 2nd Co. with better success, but still slow going. 3rd Co had been continuing its progress eastward, but split in two at one point, the northern elements joining 2nd Co on the ill-fated attack on the ridge line. The southern platoon, along with the armoured car element managed to flank the ridge on the south, where the defenses were much weaker and by the end of the second phase, was poised to attack Kalibaki from the South. Third Phase While half of 1st Co was still fending off the Greek sneak attack on Perati, 2nd Co. along with elements of 1st and 3rd finally cleared the central hill, the anchor of the ridgeline, and started advancing in the small valley leading to Kalibaki. At that point, I should say that I had already lost half (6) of my armoured cars to ambushes by enemy AT teams, and nearly all my 75mm SPAA. However, despite having some weakened squads, I had not lost any infantry so my main concern in entering the third phase was not strength, but time. 3rd Co South group initially made good progress through the southern approaches of Kalibaki and through the town itself. However, about 3 hexes away from the VPs, the resistance stiffened considerably, helped considerably by an AA battery perched on a hill across the lake, which disabled 2 of my armoured cars, and 2 halftracks sporting 37mm guns. There, my lack of AT weaponry became acute. I managed to knock one out with direct fire from my Brixia mortar before it was eliminated, but the other one virtually stopped my progress just by being there. The flanking AA fire had been solved by a curtain of smoke that I had fired across the lake, but my progress had been halted within sight of the VPs by the remaining halftrack and important reinforcements from the north, so I was stalemated in Kalibaki.
However, my southern attack on Kalibaki had drawn the defenders from the valley to the north to reinforce the town. Therefore, my progress in the valley was easier than expected, since the infantry had deserted the guns and MG posted in ambush on the hills framing it. Despite my best efforts, 2nd Co was not able to reach Kalibaki, and a last push by 3rd Co yielded only one of the Kalibaki VP. As often happens in SPWAW, total victory was only two more turns away, but I had to settle for less. Result: Marginal Victory Post combat analysis. Despite having a marginal victory, it did not feel like it. I was unhappy with my performance; having fouled up many assaults through lack of coordination and lost more armoured cars than I reasonably should have, due to precipitation (I ignored the 1 hex by 1 hex rule more than once and paid for it). In the end, my victory was due to: 1-good choice of core force units (despite a lack of AT weaponry), 2-numerical advantage (although that is a requirement in all offensive operations) and 3-good use of my artillery, which saved some pretty desperate situations, such as the defense of Perati and safeguarding of 3rd Co in Kalibaki. Nevertheless, High command was pleased with my performance and we were ordered onwards, to seize Metsovo Pass posthaste.

(in reply to Christophe Jaureguiberry)
Post #: 2
- 8/27/2001 6:47:00 PM   
Tonto Dane

Nice Report

Post #: 3
- 8/27/2001 7:39:00 PM   
Tom Terror

Hey Christophe, I like your style of writing AAR's - do more! TomT

Post #: 4
- 8/28/2001 5:44:00 PM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

Thanks for the encouragement guys. The 2nd AAR is coming up shortly. Christophe

Post #: 5
- 8/28/2001 8:45:00 PM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

2nd Scenario – METSOVO PASS The Greek defenses having been jostled by our offensive, I must rush on to Metsovo Pass and take this strategic location before the enemy reorganizes. The speed in which the operation is sent on its way translates in the fact that you get only 100 build points, plus 50 support. With the 100, I am barely able to repair my force and change some Breda MMG in Revelli MMG (marginally more effective). The battlefield is laid out in the following manner: an asphalt road crosses the field from W to E, tilting to the NE as it approaches the right side of the map. A creek loosely follows the road. Midway of the road, there are two hills, one north and one south of the road that are VP objectives. The northern hill is near the top of the map, and the southern hill hugs the bottom.
After the hills, the road crosses a small creek that is oriented N to S and the bridge leads to a medium sized unnamed town. Beyond the agglomeration, the road curves upwards (NE) and passes through two final hills, which bear the final VP objectives, and are the sentinels to Metsovo Pass. My deployment here was a bit sneaky: looking at the map, I was concerned that my troops would not have sufficient time to reach the final objectives. The scenario was 25 turns long and contrarily to the previous battle, I did not have enough points to purchase transport for my troops. However, I noticed that (either by design or oversight of the scenario creator), the first two hexes at the top of the map could bear Italian troop deployments as far as the North hill. If I started out with at least part of my infantry there, I would only have half of the map to cross to reach the final VPs, plus my start lines would be within a one-turn reach of the north hill VPs. So I assumed that the speed of my attack had taken the Greeks at a tactical disadvantage. 1st and 2nd Co were deployed on the north edge, along with their armoured car platoons. 3rd Co started on the western start line, with one platoon north of the road, one platoon hugging the road and the third platoon south of it. The AC complement would be on the road itself, supporting central platoon and being screened by them. 1st Co’s task was to strike directly east towards the Metsovo Pass objectives. 2nd Co was to overrun the north hill and procced to the southern hill (which was SSE of the northern one). 3rd Co was to sweep the field in an eastward movement of stray Greek units (recons, snipers and such) and give support to either 2nd or 1st company if there was still time. I had preplanned a bombardment mission on the northern hill where all my tubes (including the available Brixia mortars) would blanket it, just before the infantry assault. I had enough artillery to blanket the whole hill, so any defender would be well suppressed. 1st Phase I gave the Go! Order and my twelve guns and 6 mortars vomited their lethal load on the hill. Shouting a fearsome war cry, 2nd Co charged forward in a thick acrid smoke and found… nothing. Nobody. The hill was empty of defenders. Feeling slightly bemused (and a bit ridiculous), 2nd Co secured the objectives and started out in direction of the southern hill. It seemed that the tactical surprise was even more complete than expected.
As the company started out on its next set of objectives, 1st platoon sighted some recon squads coming back (from the west) towards the hill, manifestly shocked by the Italian flanking assault. 1st platoon 2nd Co was left on the hill to deal with those stragglers and dispatched around 4 recon units with ease as it caught them with machine gun fire out in the open. Meanwhile, 2nd and 3rd platoon continued towards south hill. While 2nd Co was dealing with the empty hill, 1st Co struck eastwards. The men where under order to advance as fast as possible, even if it meant that they were not under cover when the time for a halt came. I was concerned that fierce resistance, such as I had encountered on the way to Kalibaki, could delay me overmuch, and since I did not have transport, I wanted to cover as much ground as possible before encountering the enemy. Additionally, the added risk to my troops seemed to be offset by the fact that I had caught the Greeks napping. As I had overrun the hill effortlessly, I posted the two armoured car platoons on the hill to cover 1st and 2nd Co’s advance. From this vantage point and with the spotting help of the forward troops, the cars picked a few recon units bounding from one wooden copse to the order and made short work of them. 1st Co deployed fully with the three platoons on a NS front line, with 1st platoon following the northern map edge, and 3rd platoon slightly north of the main road. The AC platoon was following closely behind, having come off from its perch after dispatching the enemy. 3rd Co was also advancing eastward as fast as possible, its three platoons spread out over a very wide front, but it did not encounter any Greek units. As 2nd Co neared the south hill, several Greek cavalry units appeared on its summit. I used artillery to pin them down while 2nd Co was getting into assault positions. By the end of the 1st phase, 1st Co was nearing the NS creek and the central town. 2nd Co was ready to attack the southern hill, and 3rd Co was still some way off to the west. 2nd Phase As 1st Co crested the ridgeline overlooking the creek and the town, it was greeted with quite a sight. A whole convoy of Greek transport units was unloading their passengers in the town and the open space just west of it. About a dozen transports (mules, trucks) dropped six infantry field guns, infantry and recon squads, supplemented by cavalry. 1st Co had just stumbled on a unit in the midst of its deployment and was sitting in the front lodge. The armoured cars (of 1st and 2nd Co) were rapidly brought up and opened fire on the milling mass below. Carnage ensued. As the machine guns raked everything that moved, crews abandoned their guns and fled for the relative safety of the town’s buildings, whole squads dispersed or ran and in the space of two to three turns, virtually a whole company was annihilated. 3rd Platoon, 1st Co was sent into the town to root out eventual survivors with the AC of 2nd Co, while the rest of 1st Co bypassed the town to the north and resume their advance on Metsovo Pass. Meanwhile 2nd Co had started its assault on south hill, going slow because of rough terrain and crossing a creek, but otherwise not encountering much resistance from the company or so of cavalry pinned to the ground by massive artillery fire. As an aside, I was starting to notice that my guns were efficient in disrupting enemy formations but poor in causing casualties. I made a note to upgrade them to something more powerful as soon as I had the chance. Since 2nd Co’s complement of AC had been assigned to 1st Co to assist in the turkey shoot, and 3rd Co seemed to be encountering no enemy units, I took a risk and sent 3rd Co’s platoon of AC through unrecon’ed territory to support 2nd Co’s assault on the hill. The AC’s were not ambushed on the way, but as they arrived in the vicinity of south hill, the defenders were suddenly reinforced by infantry and 3 armoured cars coming from the south. These cars opened fire on mine and their more powerful guns destroyed one and disabled another as my bullets ricocheted on their armour. Again, my lack of AT was being felt and the Greek AC mauled one of my platoon pretty badly before I was able to knock them out by a combination of direct fire from 2 Brixia mortars, shifting artillery fire missions on top of them and close assault by infantry. Once dealt with however, the rest of the assault proceeded smoothly with my troops mopping up the stunned defenders in close combat and we overran the hill. In the town, 3rd platoon 1st Co was encountering more resistance than expected. The fleeing crews and others had recuperated after spending two or three turns out of the line of fire and ferreting them out was taking more time than I expected, especially as they were supported by an AT team encamped on a small hillock east of the town, which was enfilading the main street with its fire. It knocked out 2 AC before I was able to destroy it. Further north, the rest of 1st Co was progressing steadily, moving by leaps from one cover to the other and gunning down the hapless survivors of the previous shootout. More Greek troops were arriving from the east but again it seemed we were surprising them in their movement as the armoured cars opened fire on the trucks and their passengers hurriedly bailed out. As 1st Co approached the final objectives, it was discovered that the positions were teeming with defenders (which however seemed disorganized as they did not seem to be exactly in position), so I shifted most of the artillery fire to this sector. By the end of phase two, 3rd co had joined 2nd Co on the southern hill and both were pushing towards the town and the final objective, to lend an eventual support to 1st Co. 1st Co had cleared the town and was now enjoying artillery support in preparation for the final push. 3rd Phase I have not mentioned the fact that somewhere in the second phase, the Greeks started firing 81mm mortar rounds. It did not have an effect on the battle as: 1- my troops were advancing too fast for the mortars to adjust their fire properly, 2- there were not enough tubes (around 6). On the way to the final objectives, 2nd Co destroyed two mortars that had been betrayed by their cloud of smoke. Supported by heavy artillery fire, 1st Co advanced on the final positions. The AC of 3rd Co had been brought up to lend their fire, and despite cautious progress, the Greeks seemed demoralised by the way the battle had been progressing so far and were unable to put up an effective resistance. 1st Platoon was slowly edging forward via the rough ridgeline in the north, 2nd platoon was under cover of sparse trees and 3rd platoon was advancing via the main road along with the armoured cars. The Greek covering fire that should have emanated from the southern hill was negated through artillery fire. The northernmost VPs were secured without undue hardships and 1st Platoon 2nd Co arrived in time to grab the southern VPs and accept the surrender of the shell-shocked defenders. Result: Decisive Victory Post combat analysis. It seemed that I had wrong footed the enemy right from the start. Whether this was by scenario design or because of a loophole in the start lines, I don’t know. The momentum generated enabled me to catch the defenders in unfavourable positions time after time and inflict grievous losses on them while sustaining very little in return. Overall, I enjoyed this scenario very much as I felt it illustrated in a very realistic manner the catastrophe that could happen on the battlefield when one side catches the other completely by surprise. I was also happy not to be the one caught.

Post #: 6
- 8/28/2001 10:34:00 PM   
FrankyVas

Very good AAR. Please don't stop. By they way, where can I get this campaign? Frank V.

Post #: 7
- 8/29/2001 3:11:00 AM   
lnp4668

Interesting tactic CJ. Franke, if you could not find the link for the campaign, email me and I'll send it to you.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

Post #: 8
- 8/29/2001 7:35:00 AM   
Major Destruction

I can't see the link either. Can you repost it?

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

Post #: 9
- 8/29/2001 8:19:00 PM   
moore4807

Christophe
Your writing and coverage of this campaign was excellent. I particularly enjoyed your own commentary and critique of your own moves.
I second the call, please continue!
Jim

Post #: 10
- 8/30/2001 6:42:00 AM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

I appreciate your comments, everyone. Give me two days and the third AAR should be ready. Christophe

Post #: 11
- 9/2/2001 8:06:00 PM   
Greybear

quote:

Originally posted by Christophe Jaureguiberry:
Hello Everyone, This campaign has been created by an Italian gentleman ("Brutto Bob" - real name unknown) around the Italian attempted invasion of Greece in 1940. As the name of the campaign implies, you play the Italians.

I have looked for an hour for this campaign, but I can't find it. I like the Italians too, I have always been disappointed that the only campaign for them is the long random one. not even the WWII one. Italian equipment is not that bad and you have to learn to deal with there moral.

Post #: 12
- 9/4/2001 4:15:00 AM   
Luwar

Hi Cristophe, good AAR,where is possible to find this campaign?

Post #: 13
- 9/4/2001 6:14:00 AM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

You can get the "Italians at War" campaign at this address: http://www.geocities.com/spumadacinque/ in the SPWAW section. Have fun! Christophe

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Italians at war campaign - an AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI