Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MapThing & PBEM battles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> MapThing & PBEM battles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MapThing & PBEM battles - 9/5/2001 5:57:00 PM   
gnoccop

It's possible to print a pdf map extracted from an e-mail battle? (random map)
I've tried last nite but nothing happened! I don't wanna cheat; I think it's usefull if I can study on the paper my next move; I don't wanna find my enemy's minefields in this way. Thanks for your answers in advance, and sorry my english.

"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)
Post #: 1
- 9/5/2001 7:30:00 PM   
ectizen

While I don't know for sure (having never played a PBEM game), I get the impression that it should work. Does Map Thing work when you try it on a normal saved game/scenario/map? Also, did it give you any error messages? Finally, what version of Map Thing are you using? The current version is 1.0a, available here. If you're using an older version, say 1.0, I strongly recommend the newer one. This is especially true for European users. Regarding the potential for cheating, this is something I thought about when I was writing it. However, after a short while, I realised that the average SP:WaW can be trusted not to cheat. Afterall, these are the folks who'd generally rather face the enemy with a realistic, historical assortment of whatever weapons are available, than with full-strength companies of the latest, most powerful guns. At least that's how it looks to me

ectizen's SP:WaW Tools - Map Thing (1.0a), Scenario W

(in reply to gnoccop)
Post #: 2
- 9/5/2001 8:08:00 PM   
gnoccop

quote:

Originally posted by ectizen:
While I don't know for sure (having never played a PBEM game), I get the impression that it should work. Does Map Thing work when you try it on a normal saved game/scenario/map?
Yes! it work fine! very usefull!
quote:

Also, did it give you any error messages?
NO error messages.
The size of the file is 2 Kb; it's a white paper with only the title, date and location
quote:

Finally, what version of Map Thing are you using? The current version is 1.0a, available
I use the last version (1.0a) [ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: gnoccop ]

(in reply to gnoccop)
Post #: 3
- 9/6/2001 2:09:00 AM   
ectizen

I've had a look at PBEM saves, and I'm afraid you're out of luck. The save files are encrypted. Unless someone from Matrix lets me in on the decryption method (this is a hint, guys ), I don't think Map Thing will ever be able to do this.

ectizen's SP:WaW Tools - Map Thing (1.0a), Scenario W

(in reply to gnoccop)
Post #: 4
- 9/6/2001 2:43:00 PM   
gnoccop

thank you anyway for your look at the problem! Next time I'll begin a battle on a pregenerated map! Ciao

(in reply to gnoccop)
Post #: 5
- 9/6/2001 6:53:00 PM   
skukko

Howdy Generated maps for pbem are randomly created. You'll never get same map again. But you can start game, save map, edit it and save it again. Then you'll load it in the pbem-game when you start it. Little more work but.. mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to gnoccop)
Post #: 6
- 9/6/2001 8:53:00 PM   
gnoccop

thank you Skukko for your tip about the use of a random map in a PBEM. I'll also try same maps from the subdir /maps and begin a new battle with this. But first I'll print with map thing.

(in reply to gnoccop)
Post #: 7
- 9/7/2001 12:58:00 AM   
RockinHarry

...my first tries also produced 2 kb empty PDF files, but they were "pzmap" and not "Scen" files. With "scen" files it should work fine. (...even my heavily edited scenario maps did ) Don´t know about special PBEM saves though. __________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to gnoccop)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> MapThing & PBEM battles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI