Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Set Range Feature

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Set Range Feature Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Set Range Feature - 10/16/2001 10:58:00 PM   
mcschmidt_00

Will someone explain what the Set Range feature is for. I understand that you use it to set the maximum range at which your unit will engage the enemy, but how do you use it and when would you increase or decrease it? Thanks. MCS

Post #: 1
- 10/16/2001 11:09:00 PM   
Lars Remmen

Hi, Use the range set order if you want the enemy close (so you can ambush them) before you shoot. For instance, if you are fighting the Russians on the Eastern front and you only have 50mm AT guns to counter the T-34 tanks it will benefit you to let them close so your chance of getting a penetrating hit is maximized. If you are fighting the AI you can simply press 'n' for 'no' when asked if you want to use a reaction fire. But in PBEM your success with an ambush could well depend on having the range set correctly as your units act according to it. Regards, Lars

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to mcschmidt_00)
Post #: 2
- 10/16/2001 11:15:00 PM   
skukko

in pbem also: range can be used also to protect your troops against something that they can't handle; - set your riflemens range to 5: they shoot smg-units before its too late; set units range to '0': your units stays unspotted from almost every enemy. (Tiger don't stay out of LOS, but infantry.. ) mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

Post #: 3
- 10/17/2001 1:25:00 AM   
Larry Holt

You can use this set range feature (the "Y" key) to cause units to sychronise their fire. You can set infantry near a desired kill zone and ATGs further back. You can then set the ranges on both units so that they will not fire unit a target is in range of both.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 4
- 10/17/2001 7:58:00 AM   
Capt. Pixel

There are several posts under the subject 'Sniper' relating to the use of Range Settings.
One item to note: whenever a unit is shot at and the range of that fire exceeds the Set Range of the target unit, the target units range is reset to the range to the incoming fire. This can happen during your turn (while firing or moving) or during your OpFire. Be careful to reset the range after being shot at to insure you will be ending the turn with your desired range setting. Setting range to '0' quite often allows small infantry units (Snipers, Inf AT, AT Guns) to 'disappear' from the enemy's scope. Even if they were spotted during the turn. This trick has varying degrees of success based on experience, terrain, range, vis, etc. This doesn't seem to work well with vehicles, however.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

Post #: 5
- 10/17/2001 9:14:00 AM   
Kinja

I use the "set range" in solo play so I am not bogged down by saying no to numerous opfire shots that have no chance of hitting or causing damage.

Post #: 6
- 10/18/2001 7:50:00 AM   
Capt. Pixel

You can eliminate that annoying OpFire response in the Preferences screen - Just select Op Fire Confirm: Off. Your units will OpFire a whatever is moving/firing within their range.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Set Range Feature Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI