Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scen 19 Japanese Strats?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> Scen 19 Japanese Strats? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scen 19 Japanese Strats? - 4/2/2004 9:56:30 PM   
Jon_Hal

I'm starting a game as the Japanese VS. AI allies. I wanted to get the learned opinion on the board as to what some good opening strats are for Scen 19. I tried to make it as random as possible with 200% ship comit and Very Varible Re-enforcements. I've had the game a while but this will be my first undertaking as Japanese.

How important is capturing PM?

What are some opening moves you guys have found successful?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Scen 19 Japanese Strats? - 4/2/2004 11:20:50 PM   
kvandoc

I have a similar problem. I am in the same scenario and decided that an initial assualt on PM would be too costly as the LBA and the CVA sandwich me and I lose a CV at least. So, I decided overland from Buna to siege PM. Well, I did well at first. Sustained 1 or two bomb hits from the USN and LBA aircraft and nailed the Lexington bad. My subs found here not too long after and sent her to the bottom. The Yorktown is withdrawing to Nomea, but ALL the USN is in PM. I am covering my landing craft at Buna as 20,000 are disembarking. I am almost finished when the USN launches from PM with about 75 assorted aircraft (75% of them dauntlesses) and just rapes the IJN CV taskforce. All 3 CV's get 8+ hits on them and they are useless. I have 190 carrieraircraft, but it is like they won't defend. At best I get 9 Zero's to defend and that is all. What is the matter? Help me save my TF!!!

Musicman

(in reply to Jon_Hal)
Post #: 2
RE: Scen 19 Japanese Strats? - 4/3/2004 2:16:52 AM   
DoomedMantis

My initial moves are usually to secure Lunga and the surrounding Islands, then send a Fast Transport to take Gilli and Buna. After this I spend a month preparing to take PM and building up Lunga.

You dont have the resources in the first month to take PM, as the best way to secure it is to have at least 3 bombardment TF's with BB's on contant rotation to close down PM airbase. There is also no rush to take PM as its almost impossible to defend against a well prepared offence.

I fond that woodlark island can be a good staging area for the bombardment TF's, but you need to make sure you have aircover there for your Tankers and transports unloading. The Rufes usually suffice with an AV in support. Also by the time that you are attacking PM with Bombardment TF's you should have 5-6 Carriers. I tend to also follow up some of the bombardments with airfield attacks from the carriers, depending on where his carriers are.

The main thing about PM is to keep it closed, and destroy his supplies. If your transports are in place to land usually on the second day of bombardments you will get most unloaded without even losing a transport except maybe to subs.

Once you have taken PM the world is your oyster

I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare

(in reply to kvandoc)
Post #: 3
RE: Scen 19 Japanese Strats? - 4/3/2004 2:18:39 AM   
DoomedMantis

If cumalative damage is above 50 on a carrier it cant launch.

Pm is to large a base to leave unclosed

quote:

ORIGINAL: kvandoc

I have a similar problem. I am in the same scenario and decided that an initial assualt on PM would be too costly as the LBA and the CVA sandwich me and I lose a CV at least. So, I decided overland from Buna to siege PM. Well, I did well at first. Sustained 1 or two bomb hits from the USN and LBA aircraft and nailed the Lexington bad. My subs found here not too long after and sent her to the bottom. The Yorktown is withdrawing to Nomea, but ALL the USN is in PM. I am covering my landing craft at Buna as 20,000 are disembarking. I am almost finished when the USN launches from PM with about 75 assorted aircraft (75% of them dauntlesses) and just rapes the IJN CV taskforce. All 3 CV's get 8+ hits on them and they are useless. I have 190 carrieraircraft, but it is like they won't defend. At best I get 9 Zero's to defend and that is all. What is the matter? Help me save my TF!!!

Musicman

- Shakespeare

(in reply to kvandoc)
Post #: 4
RE: Scen 19 Japanese Strats? - 4/3/2004 2:19:37 AM   
DoomedMantis

I also make sure that I take the beach just NW of PM with a Fast Transport drop so he has nowhere to retreat to

- Shakespeare

(in reply to DoomedMantis)
Post #: 5
RE: Scen 19 Japanese Strats? - 4/3/2004 6:48:12 PM   
Jon_Hal

What about end runs to either Luganville or even northern Australia? Seems like the first month is a prime time to make some pretty bold moves if available. Anyone try this?

(in reply to DoomedMantis)
Post #: 6
RE: Scen 19 Japanese Strats? - 4/3/2004 9:37:11 PM   
CMDRMCTOAST

I think you would choke on the supply issue and become mired down
and lose too many ships tryin to salvage the offensive. IMHO

The essence of military genius is to bring under
consideration all of the tendencies of the mind
and soul in combination towards the business of
war..... Karl von Clausewitz

(in reply to Jon_Hal)
Post #: 7
RE: Scen 19 Japanese Strats? - 4/3/2004 11:43:27 PM   
madflava13

You need PM secure before you can move on N. Oz... Then you can base Betties and Nells there to protect the invasion, suppress airfields, etc.

The first few months is too soon - you don't have the strength in LCUs or CVs to support and continue an invasion. You also need to have accounted for the US carriers (either by sinking or sending back to Pearl with damage). If you haven't, any move on Luganville or N. Oz will get defeated by combined LBA and USN CV strikes....

Just my two cents...

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to CMDRMCTOAST)
Post #: 8
RE: Scen 19 Japanese Strats? - 4/4/2004 3:32:53 AM   
DoomedMantis

If PM is still open then a run on N Aust is suicide, especially against a human opponent. All your transorts heading to N Aust have to pass within bombing range of PM, and you need it as a base of support for your operations.

Also Lugnaville can be taken easily, but is hard to defend until you have reduced his strength. You also can be closed down from a bombiong campaign

- Shakespeare

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> Scen 19 Japanese Strats? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI