Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Panzer Miniatures Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Panzer Miniatures Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Panzer Miniatures Game - 4/4/2004 5:06:24 AM   
John David

I also posted this in the General Discussion section, but I wanted to make sure that my SPWAW brethren saw this. If any of the moderators feels like it should not be here, or not duplicated, then remove it and please forgive me.

I just wanted to get maximum exposure to the target group.

Thanks

Saw this link over at The Wargamer:

http://www.lostbattalion.com/default.html

I looked at the game and thought it looked pretty cool, kinda gave me the feeling of seeing a slice of SPWAW in hardcopy form!

Have to say though, I thought that the price tag of $60.00 seems very steep!

The info in the description mentioned that "This game is a complete reworking of the popular PANZER, 88 and ARMOR board games by Yaquinto Games". I being an old time board player, never had any experience with it.

I'd like to hear what you guys think of this and if any of you ever played the old board version. So c'mon you Board gamers out there, any opinions or recommendations.

This means you Les_the_Sarge !
Really would like to hear your input on this.

JD

< Message edited by John David -- 4/4/2004 1:14:31 AM >

The only thing good about war, is it's ending!

Post #: 1
RE: Panzer Miniatures Game - 4/4/2004 7:12:46 PM   
tmac

John-
I bought second hand (almost new and only partially punched) copies of "Armor" and "88" back in 1992 from a local comic book/game store here in Syracuse. They looked great at first glance, and Yaquinto did an outstanding job with carboard pieces (unit counters were individual vehicles and squads, and terrain etc). These are beautiful. The game however remains unplayed...it was like "Tobruk" to the extreme. The game includes overlays to calculate angles of impact and figure penetration etc etc etc. There are many calculation devices to figure spotting etc. They even include individual turrets for tanks in order to determine facing and spotting, and penetration possibilities. All in all too much complex book-keeping to enjoy for my tastes, little perceived solitare value, and so far no chance of finding another opponent nearby to face off with. I haven't looked at them for a few years, your post prompted me to dig through my boxes and boxes of wargames to check them out again. In addition, I have always had cats, and at that time had a dog too, with all the issues to cope with with the depredations of those 4 legged masters of destruction have upon carefully laid out board games. My apartments back then didn't have a place safe from cats particularly.
These are some of the reasons I enjoy SPWAW soooo much. None of the book keeping, all of the results calculated for you, and just pure playing enjoyment in a format my cat can sit on my lap and not ever interfere, lol.
I have played modern, WWII and American Civil War minituares with a group of friends over the years. We were vagabonds, moving from house to business location to set up and play. It was great fun, and we had a guy who brought a laptop to run the game calculations on. Guys painted armies and armor, and brought stacks of boxes with battalions and brigades ready to fight. We'd eat and drink and fight through a weekend or weeknight. It was lots of fun, and some of the younger guys were the ones who clued me into the original Steel Panthers, and who I can thank for my enjoyable trip to here and now. That group broke up and drifted apart because of real life interfering with playing, lol, but I miss those times. If you have the opportunity to try something like that with this new game I strongly recommend it.
Hope this helped
Tim

< Message edited by tmac -- 4/4/2004 12:24:14 PM >

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 2
RE: Panzer Miniatures Game - 4/4/2004 9:51:19 PM   
John David

Hey Tim,

thanks allot for your in depth post, much appreciated!

As I read more about this type of game, I realize it's exactly as you said, very intensive in time commitments that sadly, I just can't afford anymore. Also like you and so many others who grow into "real life", our friends that we used to spend endless hours playing board or other type games, are no longer available and have moved to many different locations around North America.

One of the best things about computer wargames is that there is always a game on when you want it! and we don't have to worry about where we were when we need to take a brake, or worry about our furry 4 legged "Storm troopers" nuking our battlefields!

If I was in my teens or early 20's again, well I'd have the time to do allot more things I used to do, but that's a different story.

JD

(in reply to tmac)
Post #: 3
RE: Panzer Miniatures Game - 4/5/2004 2:39:12 AM   
M4Jess

John David is a SPWAW M4 Driver, all he needs to do is post so...

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 4
RE: Panzer Miniatures Game - 4/5/2004 4:19:20 AM   
John David

Thats our "Babyface" for ya folks, cute as a button and he's smarter then he looks too!

So to the king of M4's, all I can say is...

"Tanks" Jess!!

Man, this has been a long weekend, I think I need to lie down now!

JD

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 5
RE: Panzer Miniatures Game - 4/7/2004 3:16:52 AM   
Wild Bill

Again, I had a huge collection of miniatures, JD. They were all 1/285 scale, from varius producers, mainly GHQ.

I had collected them over a period of 10 years. All were handpainted, with MGs, even antennas attached. I had complete companies and battalions from WW1 all the way through Desert Storm.

For awhile, GHQ produced tiny, I mean tiny individual soldiers that I handpainted. They were not as tall as your thumbnail and took a lot of patience and special glasses.

The collection was awesome. Added to it were the styrofoam hexagons, literally thousands of them, each also handpainted to represent every type of terrain you can imagine. I even did rice paddies with these.

I had a complete firebase made for Vietnam, the famous triangular defense for the Iraqis in Desert Storm and the complete map of Betio island. It filled two 3x6 tables and with some surrounding sea and reef hexagons one could really relive the moment.

But that is history now too. With the cataracts I ended up selling it all, about $6000 worth of miniatures (carefully packed in small jewel cases, about 100 of them) and hexagons (packed away in 20 office boxes and catergorized)for $1500. God only knows how many hours I spent detailing them all.

I wish in many ways I had kept them. But so it goes.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 6
RE: Panzer Miniatures Game - 4/7/2004 2:55:02 PM   
BulletMagnet

Check out my local gaming club site for some cool pics of a ww2 mini game we just did.

www.ocalagarrison.org

< Message edited by BulletMagnet -- 4/7/2004 8:03:00 AM >

"What we do in life,echoes in eternity"

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
RE: Panzer Miniatures Game - 4/8/2004 6:03:38 AM   
John David

Thanks Bill for the look into that side of the hobby. You always seem to strive for detail in everything you do in connection with our great past time!

Thanks for the link BulletMagnet!

Very interesting web site. Reminds me of days past when I had a similar hang out. Man, those were great days!

Looks like you guys have allot of fun. I envy you my friend!

JD

(in reply to BulletMagnet)
Post #: 8
RE: Panzer Miniatures Game - 4/8/2004 2:37:08 PM   
BulletMagnet

Sure do and with enough of us rotating in and out there is never a problem with the wives.
Anyone ever visit Ocala and want a quick game on a friday night should contact me. I think the strength of a good mini group is Variety.

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 9
RE: Panzer Miniatures Game - 4/8/2004 3:10:24 PM   
M4Jess

Cool Bullet!

I noticed a billybadass M4 in there! I hope you are the driver!

Jess

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to BulletMagnet)
Post #: 10
RE: Panzer Miniatures Game - 4/8/2004 10:21:20 PM   
BulletMagnet

No way Jess I was the PzIV crew but ne=ver made it to my tank...Only way Id drive a M4 is if you were on my side and we were playing Cmdr Klank or someone..

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 11
RE: Panzer Miniatures Game - 4/13/2004 8:07:41 PM   
arethusa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild Bill

Again, I had a huge collection of miniatures, JD. They were all 1/285 scale, from varius producers, mainly GHQ.

I had collected them over a period of 10 years. All were handpainted, with MGs, even antennas attached. I had complete companies and battalions from WW1 all the way through Desert Storm.

Between this bit and the earlier post of problems with cats and dogs brings to mind a hint for building miniatures. As I write this, my cat is sitting on my lap so it's slow typing with only one hand (the other has been 'catted' beneath a pair of furry paws).

I used to build lots and lots of these and other than a few that got 'eaten away' by the elements (read this as 'cats'), most of them have been sold. But to make realistic antennas that never break, have cats or dogs in the house. Every once in a while when you're cleaning up, you'll notice a whisker on the floor. They make terrific antennas that can be shortened to any length, hold paint well, will take on an appropriate curve with drawing between your fingernails and what's best, they're unbreakable! They even come in different scale diameters from 'Saint Bernard' all the way down to 'Siamese' :-)

"Good military intelligence is worth at least as much as an extra regiment."

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Panzer Miniatures Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI