Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Large Planning Map?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> Large Planning Map? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Large Planning Map? - 4/6/2004 6:35:47 PM   
ggallagher

All:

Besides doing a series of screen captures - with concommitant cutting/editing/pasting together in an image editor, does anyone know of a means of putting together a large map (with city/town names) that one can use for planning purposes?

Love the game, but one of the challenges I personally face is assimilating all the reports of troop movements as well as my own orders into the overall picture.

Alternatively, a zoom in/out function in the game itself would have been nice to have, but am sure that feature would require a significant engine rewrite...

Gregg
Post #: 1
RE: Large Planning Map? - 4/6/2004 10:05:11 PM   
MarkT

go into the game directory. ALL the maps are there. you can call them up and print them...

(in reply to ggallagher)
Post #: 2
RE: Large Planning Map? - 4/6/2004 11:10:16 PM   
ggallagher

Mark:

Thanks....sorry I wasn't clearer in my request, but I also perfer having the town/city names on the map. I may have to go the hand-lettering route to get what I need.

Happen to have a wide format printer which supports a roll of 16" wide paper, so I'll be able to handle the dimensions of the maps quite adequately.

Hmmm...let's see....print out the maps in high color on cardboard stock ...create little cardboard counters for all the units and leaders.....oh, never mind....

< Message edited by ggallagher -- 4/6/2004 1:19:36 PM >

(in reply to MarkT)
Post #: 3
RE: Large Planning Map? - 4/7/2004 1:39:50 AM   
dobbins

I agree that the absense of an overall map is a big impediment. Hope such is eventually added to the system. Even just putting one in the manual would help, as one could then print it. If anyone develops such a map, prehaps they could post it. Jim

(in reply to ggallagher)
Post #: 4
RE: Large Planning Map? - 4/7/2004 4:17:40 PM   
MarkT

Now that brings back memories.........

My whole use of this is miniatures. I don't want maps!... Fog of war, inaccurate maps, etc. The campaign rules, I do want.

As far as names on the maps go, take a copy of the map into a paint program and add text

Large printer is cool. I have a plotter 36" x 8' WALLPAPER!!!

(in reply to ggallagher)
Post #: 5
The Avalon Hill Treatment - 4/7/2004 5:22:24 PM   
EricLarsen

ggallagher,
Your request reminds me fondly of the good old daze when Avalon Hill published games with first rate playing aids like color maps of the battle area. Those old maps were handy for being able to see the whole battle area at one glance without having the computer on so one could do that planning while reading the manual or away from the computer. It would be nice if games had nice simple map files that could be printed easily by game owners from regular printers.
Eric

(in reply to ggallagher)
Post #: 6
RE: The Avalon Hill Treatment - 4/7/2004 7:57:23 PM   
ggallagher

Perhaps Frank will do so in a future patch, or a more energetic (than me at least) customer does it himself.

I think this will really be needed for the 1806/1813 future title, which will likely have an even larger map.....

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 7
RE: Large Planning Map? - 5/2/2004 8:19:26 PM   
SteveLohr

Like you, I believe a plannign map would add a great deal to the game. I just put together a planning map, which I made by cutting and pasting the 1805 scenario map, after hiding all supply and troop markers. I won't say it is the world's best cut and past job, but it should suffice for planning purposes. It is a JPG, so everyone with Windows should be able to read and draw on it using the Paint program. However, it is 1.11 MB. I would be willing to send it to someone at Matrix for posting on the webpage.

Best,
Steve Lohr

(in reply to ggallagher)
Post #: 8
RE: Large Planning Map? - 5/3/2004 4:29:15 AM   
ggallagher

Steve:

Wow...good to see someone made the effort. Would be interested in seeing it....if you're amenable, please email it to gregggallagher@msn.com

Gregg

(in reply to SteveLohr)
Post #: 9
RE: Large Planning Map? - 5/3/2004 2:47:50 PM   
hlw30024

Please send it to me at hlw30024@bellsouth.net. Thanks for the work

(in reply to SteveLohr)
Post #: 10
RE: Large Planning Map? - 5/20/2004 12:00:58 PM   
DoomedMantis

paul.harrison50@bigpond.com

yes please that would help a lot

I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare

(in reply to hlw30024)
Post #: 11
RE: Large Planning Map? - 5/21/2004 2:12:34 PM   
Didz

Must admit I made a big mistake when I set up my Campaign Map for my current campaign on Game Mapper because, despite having a copy of Steve's map with the city names on it, I used the blank one from the game as the backdrop.

I regret this everytime I have to flick back and forth between the game and Game Mapper in order to find a town location to plot my intel reports. Its just that the cost of swapping over is too great now I have started.

Next campaign I will definately use Steve's map.

< Message edited by Didz -- 5/21/2004 4:42:52 PM >

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to DoomedMantis)
Post #: 12
RE: Large Planning Map? - 5/21/2004 3:54:30 PM   
gipat

Would like to try it. If possible please send to jefesta@adelphia.net.

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> Large Planning Map? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI