Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: yikes....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: yikes.... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: yikes.... - 4/29/2004 1:18:05 AM   
2ndACR

decourcy,

i think that speech needs to go to AOW forum. This is not the place for it.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 31
RE: yikes.... - 4/29/2004 1:23:39 AM   
decourcy

2nd ACR,

I agree, however, the speech before mine also did not need to be there. I will never let defensless people be abused.
Just call me Don Quixote.

Mike

Tae Kwon Leep is the Wine of Purity
not the Vinegar of Hostility.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 32
RE: yikes.... - 4/29/2004 4:02:46 AM   
madflava13

Last I checked this forum is about a game and related topics...

"My theory of international relations is better than your theory" is definitely not part of that discussion....

Unless your theory involves beer and flying kamikaze Yamato ships. Then by all means pull up a chair and let's hear it!

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to decourcy)
Post #: 33
In defense of Captain Orita - 11/7/2005 11:34:28 AM   
el cid again

quote:

He would not have been qualified to make that judgement, since he was not informed as to the number of attacks launched vs the number of attacks that succeeded. That's one of the problems with anecdotes. They're not worth dreck.

In his first book (I Boat Captain) Capt Orita reviewed all Japanese submarine attacks - using data from Japanese sources. Decades later, he co authored a USNI book with an American Historian - and does the same thing with data from both sides. [See The Japanese Submarine Force and World War II - Boyd and Orita]. He is probably tied for first place as a person whose opinion is to be respected in Japanese submarine matters.

Note that the Japanese REPORTED a hit every time a kaiten was heard to explode. Being submerged they could not see the hit- so they assumed it. It was not until after the war they could get data from the other side.

The Kaiten concept was not stupid - it was a pioneer of the concept of the guided torpedo. During the war, Germany, the USA and Japan experimented with guided torpedoes - acoustic and wire - but the technology was barely up to the task. A Kaiten was an attempt to substitute a human as both sensor and guidance computer. Today, we often have humans in the guidance loop - but they are on the launching submarine and send signals along a wire to the torpedo. The Kaiten was anything but a completely decisive weapon - but it was dangerous - because if you got hit it had a big warhead. In addition to the sunk ships mentioned, there were a number of damaged ships.

I think I have figured out how to put the Kaiten in WITP - and am testing it now. I do not rate it as very likely to hit - it is a one torpedo spread - but you won't like it if it does hit.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 11/7/2005 11:47:41 AM >

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 34
RE: planes on japanese subs+2 more questions - 11/7/2005 3:15:25 PM   
saj42

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

Since these aircraft were to be used prmarily for recon, will it show the dreaded red line of approach? Or does that only appear from land bases air units?

Naval Search dosen't have a 'red line of approach'. The sighting report will just let your opponent know the sub is somewhere within4/5 hexes radius

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 35
RE: planes on japanese subs+2 more questions - 11/7/2005 5:28:45 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyho!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

Since these aircraft were to be used prmarily for recon, will it show the dreaded red line of approach? Or does that only appear from land bases air units?

Naval Search dosen't have a 'red line of approach'. The sighting report will just let your opponent know the sub is somewhere within4/5 hexes radius

Well actually it will. Its like any other recon aircraft. If you are on "naval search" there will not be a red line. Same as land based search aircraft. If you do a recon mission, there will indeed be a red line, just like a land based search aircraft.

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: yikes.... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI