Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thank You! William Wilder!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Thank You! William Wilder!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thank You! William Wilder!! - 4/7/2004 5:26:47 PM   
John David

I'm sure by now, allot of you have come across this eye grabber:

" With this, my 6,000th post, I will be indeed putting myself out to pasture. I will be withdrawing from wargaming in the sense of larger efforts such as Mega Campaigns or other projects.

I'm not disappearing...well, I am for awhile.

Let me express my deepest gratitude for the camaraderie, love and support I've gotten from so many of you. In particular, let me offer my thanks to David Heath, a good friend, like a son to me. It was David who opened so many doors of opportunity for me, including getting to know and work with so many of you.

Call it a sabbatical if you wish. I will be back probably but for awhile I want to give some time to other things in my life.

I wish you all the best with SPWAW and your beloved gaming hobby.

Wild Bill Wilder"

What can anyone say to this man who has given so much to this hobby of ours.

Thank you? You've got to be kidding , right! Thank you!

How do you thank someone who has committed so much time, energy and especially love into so many projects and works that have enriched all of our experiences with these games?

How do you explain such strong feelings for someone that I, and most here, have never even met?

How do you thank someone who has touched so many, who has developed close relationships with countless people here?

What does one feel when you read how close Bill has got to David Heath over the years, that he thinks of him like a son!

Is anyone surprised of the feelings that this man evokes from so many when you have read any of the posts associated with this place. Just look at the countless threads and posts between Bill and the design teams of the Mega Campaign- Screaming Eagles, to get an idea of what these people think of him!

Well, he has decided to step back from all this, at least for awhile. All we can do is respect his decision and wish him the best.

I have had the privilege of corresponding with him, and have been honored that he chose to share some of his private papers with me. I could not bare the thought of loosing that communication link.

Thankfully, this will not be the case and many of us will continue to correspond with him.

I could go on for pages about him, but he is a very modest man, and I have already caused his cheeks to begin to turn a tad shade of crimson with embarrassment.

He is our Colonel! Although to be honest, that rank doesn't suit him. He's 5 Star material if I ever saw it!

However, I would like to fall back on a great Naval tradition as I close.

We always salute the Colonel during our communications with him. It is a tremendous sign of respect from us to him. It is one that he takes seriously as a constant reminder of how many he has touched and in such a deep way.

Well, saluting is nice, but it is a required action in the military. Yes, it is a sign of respect and even many times, affection, but as I stated above, there is a Naval tradition that to me at least, always seemed to come from the heart and not from some regulation. The kind of respect shown that often brings a tear to the eye as one's chest fills with pride.

The tradition of the Senior officers surrounding their leader. Although Bill is our Colonel, I know that this saying is apropos:

“Captain On The Bridge”

We'll all hold that posture, as he disembarks!

Take care my friend

JD

< Message edited by John David -- 4/7/2004 1:48:00 PM >

The only thing good about war, is it's ending!

Post #: 1
RE: Thank You! William Wilder!! - 4/7/2004 6:09:48 PM   
Orzel Bialy

What can I say? Words are somewhat failing me at the moment...for once.

Kunel you have indeed been an inspiration to the community. You have been a driving force in making this game what it is and that is a testament of achievement in itself.

You have also been a guiding hand to the community...always the voice of reason...and always the Gentleman.

I was proud as Hell to have been able to work with you on the Screaming Eagles Mega Campaign...and I was always looking forward to that possibility of "just one more". I will always remember the couple times we spoke on the phone...just because it was such a thrill...and I thank you for the opportunity to have worked on that project along side of you.

In closing I will say that I am honored to know you as a person...and my respect for you will always endure Bill. I can only hope that while you are away from gaming that you keep in touch via email to let us all know how things are and what new sites you have seen during your travels outside of the gaming world.

Salute!

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 2
RE: Thank You! William Wilder!! - 4/7/2004 7:00:22 PM   
Gallo Rojo

Viva Willd Bill!!

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 3
RE: Thank You! William Wilder!! - 4/7/2004 7:26:26 PM   
KG Erwin

If anyone deserves to take a sabbatical, it's the Colonel. We'll miss you, my friend, and hope to hear from you again soon.
With brotherly love & respect, "Gunny".

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 4
RE: Thank You! William Wilder!! - 4/7/2004 10:54:32 PM   
Goblin

Thank you WB for all you have done. You have given many, many people, a hell of alot of pleasure, and should be proud of that fact. Many more yet to come will be enjoying your labors for a long time to come.

I am saddened, admittedly, but the guys are right, you deserve a rest like no one else does!

Goblin

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Thank You! William Wilder!! - 4/7/2004 11:04:35 PM   
Huffy

One one hand,...I want to say..."no...don't go!"...stick around.
But I know......you deserve a break ....so I say, go get a keg...and some movies, and make a weekend of it.
Take care my friend,
Huffy

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 6
RE: Thank You! William Wilder!! - 4/7/2004 11:19:58 PM   
robot

Bill it was a pleasure to meet the man who helped me so much, when i first started with steel panthers. I am glad you made it to aberdeen last year. From my wife and I all our love and fondest wishes in what ever you do.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 7
RE: Thank You! William Wilder!! - 4/8/2004 1:01:51 AM   
Wild Bill

Well, let's make it 6001!

I'm profoundly grateful for these strong sentiments from some very good friends. The fellowship of gaming is what enriches it so much.

You all have helped me in one way or another to do some things that hopefully have enhanced the hobby.

I've been edging out of things for some time now. I do plan to be around but in a much quieter role.

And of course, I'm always at your orders, my friends. If I can be of help to any of you in any way, please don't hesitate to call on me.

I return the salute as smartly as I can, thankful for all my gaming colleagues...all around the world! I still am awed by the fact that I have friends in every corner of this globe. That includes among others, Japan, Russia, Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, India, Vietnam, Norway, Sweden, Finland, countries in South and Central America, Australia, New Zealand, The British Isles, Canada and many of the 50 states.

You have honored me and I am grateful. The accolades are far more than I deserve but I'll enjoy them immensely in the days to come.

Thank you all!

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 8
RE: Thank You! William Wilder!! - 4/8/2004 4:09:17 AM   
Goblin

More here, WB (JD has been busy)...

http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1242

Goblin

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
RE: Thank You! William Wilder!! - 4/8/2004 9:34:36 PM   
Sergio Castaldi

Other 6.000 My Marshal !!!

Sergio

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 10
RE: Thank You! William Wilder!! - 4/9/2004 12:43:31 AM   
KG Erwin

Gentlemen, before we say our goodbyes to the Colonel, I think we need to consider that he has many many students of his work, and maybe now he has decided to symbolically "pass the torch". This is not to say that his work is done. It's in his blood, and he will be back.

Frankly, I think he is giving a wake-up call to present and future scenario/campaign designers. There is some tremendous talent that has developed under Bill's tutelage, so with the imminent release of SPWaW 8.2, we can look forward to new battles and new challenges from "the next generation". I know some of these guys, and I know they will be up to the task.

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

(in reply to Sergio Castaldi)
Post #: 11
RE: Thank You! William Wilder!! - 4/9/2004 4:33:03 AM   
John David

Great point Gunny!

You bet there are some amazing talents in this group!

I'd like to see more from them over the next while, as they continue to grow and develop those talents you spoke of. Maybe Bill's fruit will ripen into a new MC being created if Matrix is so inclined.

Yes, the torch has been passed. I am confident that the fire will burn bright for years to come!

JD

The only thing good about war, is it's ending!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 12
RE: Thank You! William Wilder!! - 4/10/2004 12:54:18 PM   
Mark Ezra

We don't say good bye in the cavalry, WB...To our next posting!

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Thank You! William Wilder!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI