Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

History of the SP:WAW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> History of the SP:WAW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
History of the SP:WAW - 4/16/2004 11:06:04 PM   
Kuokkanen

I would like to know how project with SP:WAW got started and how it was got to on-line. Was there any problems like SSI's lawyer's knocking on the door? I am going to throw a suggestion to other game community that something similar would be done to other game. But first I need some background about this.

That other game is Total Annihilation, I hope you have heard about it. It was made by Cavedog which has been closed few years ago. TA is old game but community is still strong, thanks to many mods made for it (probably more mods than to any other RTS-game). So I have in mind something like Total Annihilation: World at War, which would offer new possibilities for modders thus increasing lifetime of the great game and make it even greater.
Post #: 1
RE: History of the SP:WAW - 4/17/2004 12:12:30 AM   
KG Erwin

Somewhere buried in the posting archives is some good material from Bill Wilder on the history of the SP series and "Wild Bill's Raiders". Try the "search" feature and see if you can come up with anything.

Is this the same "Matti" I know from the SPWaW Depot? "Mattenhoff"?

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 4/16/2004 5:14:47 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 2
RE: History of the SP:WAW - 4/17/2004 3:34:16 AM   
BruceAZ

Good question! and I am sure WB or David can answer you. You might want to check the old posts by doing a search.

Recon
Semper Fi

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 3
RE: History of the SP:WAW - 4/17/2004 3:16:41 PM   
mattenhoff

No, Here I am, Gunny!

Matti is a very common name in Finland. Looks like you're soon surrounded by some Finnish Sissis, Gunny!. Watch it!

Nice to meet you, Matti Kuokkanen!

Matti

(in reply to BruceAZ)
Post #: 4
RE: History of the SP:WAW - 4/17/2004 10:09:26 PM   
KG Erwin

Ok, Mattenhoff, thanks for correcting me. So, if I post a message directed to "Matti", I'll be specific on which one I mean or I'll have 15 guys responding.

(in reply to mattenhoff)
Post #: 5
RE: History of the SP:WAW - 4/17/2004 11:22:18 PM   
Matt R

You've got this Matt to worry about too

"An army without a leader.. is like a foot without a big toe..."

Bill Murray
'Stripes'

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: History of the SP:WAW - 4/17/2004 11:53:19 PM   
KG Erwin

Ok, "History of SPWaW, Part I: In the beginning, a guy named Matt Grigsby decides to design a tactical wargame...". No, scratch that. Oh, boy, I think it's Bud time.

(in reply to Matt R)
Post #: 7
RE: History of the SP:WAW - 4/18/2004 6:33:13 AM   
Huffy

Bud time...I agree...watching hockey playoffs....oh boy....maybe,...too much "bud" time...we'll see tommorrow when time to get up for Church......hmmm...
Take care all,
Huffy

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
RE: History of the SP:WAW - 4/19/2004 3:08:04 AM   
Huffy

AH...got up for Church ok...even before they came for me....now starting in on Sun. night...espn2-hockey...
take care all,
Huffy

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 9
RE: History of the SP:WAW - 4/19/2004 6:22:07 PM   
Kuokkanen

So how you got started with SP:WAW?

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 10
RE: History of the SP:WAW - 4/20/2004 8:10:39 PM   
Kuokkanen

Hey Matrix guys! Did you got source code of Steel Panthers in order to create SP:WAW or did you start from scratch? If you got souce code, how it happened? If no, did you had any contact to SSI? Was SSI upset about name of the game and its user interface?

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 11
RE: History of the SP:WAW - 4/21/2004 12:42:22 AM   
KG Erwin

Matti K, while this isn't a history of SPWaW, you can get some background on Wild Bill and his Raiders design team here: http://spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=245 Note: this article is located on Bernie's SPWaW Depot Forum. If you aren't already registered there, I'd recommend that you do so.

I will say, though, that a definitive history of the development of SPWaW is needed. The source code for SPWaW is based on SPIII, and the legal agreement stipulated that the code not be publically released, and that the resulting game could only be given away. This give-away restriction did not apply to in-house products, namely the four Mega-Campaigns.

Dave Heath, in our phone conversations, has given me an oral history of the process, but maybe he should consider giving us a written account. Maybe after 8.2 is released, I'll ask him about it, or even consider interviewing some insiders and writing it myself. This would make a good addition to the Wargamer article database.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 4/20/2004 5:57:06 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 12
RE: History of the SP:WAW - 4/21/2004 3:27:53 AM   
Paul Vebber

To make a long story short a few of us were beta testers for SPIV, when that went on a haitus, we thought, heck can't hurt to ask if we can do something in the meantime. SSI said OK. Put some restrictions like we could not sell it and some other stuff, and gave us the code for SP2 to play with. We moved that alng for awhile, then wanted to make an online version and to windows friendly format and we found that a windows friendly online version of SPIII existed and we got the code for that. What becane SPCAMO took the SPw code and kept playing with it, and we did MAJOR surgury on the SP3 onnline version code to make SP:WaW. In retrospect stsrting from scratch may have been easier;). Which is what we did for COmbat Leader. THat keeps inching along toward fruition...

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 13
RE: History of the SP:WAW - 1/18/2007 4:43:09 PM   
Kuokkanen

I warned ya!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

To make a long story short a few of us were beta testers for SPIV, when that went on a haitus, we thought, heck can't hurt to ask if we can do something in the meantime. SSI said OK. Put some restrictions like we could not sell it and some other stuff, and gave us the code for SP2 to play with.

So there indeed was SP4 under work, but SPWAW isn't based on that. Hey, this thread is 3 years old and I forget lots of details in 5 minutes

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 14
RE: History of the SP:WAW - 1/20/2007 12:17:31 AM   
Bernie

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Matti K, while this isn't a history of SPWaW, you can get some background on Wild Bill and his Raiders design team here: http://spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=245 Note: this article is located on Bernie's SPWaW Depot Forum. If you aren't already registered there, I'd recommend that you do so.

Just a small update/correction since this was first posted... The Depot is now owned and operated by the SP:WaW Depot Association, Inc., a registered non-profit organization. It's not "mine" any longer. :)

What, me worry?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> History of the SP:WAW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI